Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you buy a Porsche (or any car) out of state

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:24 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default How do you buy a Porsche (or any car) out of state

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone had a nice Father's Day. I have been searching the internet and local dealership for quite some time to see what Caymans are selling for (years and miles). I have found a few nice looking cars but they are quite far from where I live and was wondering if there are current owners who have purchased their cars that were located say over 1,000 miles away from where they lived. How did you go about doing that with regards of getting a PPI done. I have seen some very nice looking cars (milage and cost) but are being sold from non-porsche dealerships. This kind of gets me nervous...a Toyota dealership selling a Cayman, you know they do not have the service records. I feel more comfortable buying from a private seller as they will at least have service records during the time they have owned the car, but again, I worry about where to get a PPI done in an area I am not familiar with.

I have also seen some nice car on Carmax and something about them that appeals to me is that 1) I can purchase a warranty from them but also 2) I can return the car within 5 days and get my money back. I like this because in this 5 day period I can get a PPI done by a reputable mechanic (the president of the local PCA chapter recommended him to me) and if something bad comes up I can just return the car or if it is minor items I can pay the deductible from the warranty and get those items fixed.

I just wanted to hear what some more experienced Porsche car buyers would do in situations like this. All comments welcome as I would like to learn as much as I can.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

I've purchased two Porsches out of state. Both times, I found a well-regarded local mechanic, typically a Porsche-specialty shop that does race support (we kinda get each other) to perform a thorough PPI at my expense. After immediately reviewing results, flew in for my final inspection, any remaining detailed negotiations, and to consummate the deal. In both cases, I could have just flown home if things didn't work out (if it don't feel right, then shake hands and go home, search another day). In my case, I drove the car home from there both times. One from Kansas City to Chicago (968), last from Dallas to Chicago (Boxster S, that trip was a bit unplanned, long story...).

Typically the big parts of the deal are agreed to in advance, so you know you're very close and not wasting each other's time. Speaking of time... time is kinda of the essence. Homework, homework, homework. Have it all done so that when the right car at the right price pops up, you can act quickly. Know what you want and what you don't. Year, color, options, conditions, mods (or not), etc. You gotta be dialed. Last hunt (for the '05 Boxster S), I had 5 cars in the entire country that fell within my very specific "I'd buy it" conditions, ranked 1-5 (any of theme would make me happy), and started the PPI on #1.

Caveat emptor, of course. But, in my experience, two sincere parties can get 'r done. Key is "sincere". Funny thing, the 1st Porsche (local) and the last (Dallas) were circumstance where I drove off without exchanging any money whatsoever. Now that's sincere!

Best of luck.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3 (was a nice street car once)
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've purchased a couple cars from Carmax - for the exact reason you stated. It is pretty easy to just return, and the warranty is rock solid. My M3 was always worked on by the local BMW dealer - everything was paid for. That said my sense is you pay extra for them, and the last time I looked their cars were all thumbs down for me. I looked at about a dozen cars from them over the past year and passed on every one of them due to issues with the cars themselves...

I've purchased three Porsche's out of state - had PPI's done by local Porsche dealers. They were super thorough, the cars had regular maintenance records - and all three were flawless. Knock on wood the most reliable cars I've ever purchased. My RS60 never needed a penny of work, and so far neither has my Spyder (purchased out of state). My 04 Cayenne went to 100k miles without needing anything. So I am a big believer it the dealer PPI - and perhaps have been a little lucky.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:46 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Found my 2016 Boxster Spyder with a whopping 12 miles on the odometer. Saw it on Dupont Registry. It was spec'd by the dealership owner whose quickly discovered that due to his excessive body size he couldn't physically fit into the car. He ended up with a Rolls. The car was located in Florida. I'm in New Jersey. At the time they were just starting to get tougher to find. And this one had everything I wanted. I called the dealership the same day the ad first posted. Flew down the next day, checked it over (it had its new 4 year warranty so even if I missed something it was covered). Essentially the car was new. I had it shipped by enclosed tractor trailer. Went without a hitch. Only problem was making the mistake of having Xpel applied locally in Florida. Once in NJ I had to have it redone (the entire car) 3 times until they got it right. Other than that the entire transaction was perfect.

Last edited by DannieK; 06-18-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've purchased 3 Porsches... one from an out of state "exotic" dealership approximately 800 miles from my home through a local broker, one from an out of state Porsche dealership approximately 500 miles from my home, and one from Carmax where I had the vehicle transferred approximately 400 miles to my local dealership. All three purchasing experiences involved shipping the vehicle as I did not fly down and drive the vehicle back (something that would be fun, but I didn't make the time to do it).

I have a good relationship with a local broker and so that is my preference, but do not knock the CarMax experience. It really is simple and easy, and the best possible dealership experience you can find. And because of that 5 day no questions asked return policy, you can always do your PPI after you buy the car and return it to CarMax if it reveals something you don't like. I took my car to my local indy shop for a thorough check/PPI after transferring the car here, and it passed with flying colors. CarMax really does do an inspection that is very thorough and comprehensive, and their warranties are very competitively priced. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience and would not hesitate to buy another Porsche, or any car, from them in the future.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:27 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

A big +1 on getting a PPI on the car. I live in Colorado and was looking at a Cayman in Florida with high mileage. Offered to pay for the PPI and share the results with the Seller prior to making the decision to buy; the Seller offered to take it to a local Porsche dealership of my choice. The PPI revealed over $14K in maintenance and repairs were needed. The Seller pulled the listing after reading the PPI results; don’t know what the ultimate outcome was.
Am very happy with the Cayenne I purchased in Ohio; would not let out-of-state be a deterrent in any way. (Which might mean a great road trip back home if things worked out.)
Both parties were private sellers. I would not rely solely on service records, as a PPI might reveal things that you don’t want to fix and save you some serious money. (In spite of the repair records, especially if the service was not performed by a Porsche dealership or an independent shop known for the Porsche service expertise.)
Was not familiar with CarMax’s process but would now consider them in the future based upon the postings above.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:27 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@pkalhan: PPI is absolutely crucial, especially from used car dealerships that aren't Porsche-specific. Sometimes, these dealers pick up their inventory from auction, which means it could have serious cosmetic/mechanical issues.

With that said, the majority of our buyers purchase from out-of-state based on our inspection alone. All of them know exactly what they're buying beforehand.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have now purchased four specialty older cars out of state and with one exception I wasn’t disappointed with the purchase. Here’s my check list to buy any car.

1. Contact seller to initiate discussions and start asking questions about the car. Also ask for high resolution pictures from every corner of the car, pictures need to be high resolution to be able to see overspray, tapelines etc. Also ask for interior pics with focus on drivers seat bolsters and the drivers side carpet near pedals. These are good indicators of mileage also. For private party a good seller will have some history on the car and can list the recent work done to the car. They can also offer condition based upon their opinion (remember opinions vary) . You can also ask for records at this time.

If it’s a dealer you’ll only be able to ask if it’s been repainted, any oil leaks and the more obvious things along with the pictures. Some dealers do collect records so its worth asking. Regardless what you’re looking for is an honest and consistent response.

2. Run a carfax and compare the carfax against the records if available. The carfax mileage should match up with the maintenance records to confirm the mileage is accurate.

3. If everything looks good so far I would search for a good mechanic and get an initial PPI to include paintmeter and overall cosmetic check to make sure the car condition matches what the seller stated. If the car passes the initial check spend the extra and have a leak down and compression and or scope cylinder depending on the car being inspected. On newer Porsches you also want to get the DME reading to check for overrevs.

To date I’ve only purchased two cars sight unseen, one wasn’t what I was expecting and the other was better tha I expected so it’s a gamble.

One last bit of advice, know what you’re buying. Do your homework and learn what issues the cars can have and don’t be shy about asking if these known issues have been addressed.

Good luck with your search and definitely don’t rule out long distance purchases.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 06-18-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I've purchased cars out of state, both Porsche and otherwise, and while ppis are important, nothing takes the place of laying eyes on the car. Or, if you have a buddy, or maybe a particularly finicky rennlist member in the area, that would be a close second. But the problem is, lots of dealers and mechanics aren't necessarily Car Guys in the same way we are. They think about the cars as tangible assets and commodities, but they don't necessarily notice every tiny scratch or imperfection. For the most part I've had good experiences, but I've had a couple of less-than-ideal experiences as well. One thing that turned out to be kind of a silver lining, is with the current 7-series I'm using as a daily driver, it wasn't perfect, it had a couple Nicks and scratches, and to be fair, it was priced incredibly aggressively. Nevertheless, it wasn't as advertised. But after I got over the initial shock, I realized that I didn't need to baby this car the way I usually do. And I think because of that in some ways I've been able to use it and enjoy it more over the past four plus years. It's been a great car and I've treated it well, but not the way I would have if it had been perfect as advertised.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 PM
wulfgang
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Selo. You *must* look at the car yourself and you *must* have plans to walk away if necessary (buy a round-trip ticket, not one-way, no matter how diligent you've been).

Like dealerships, PPIs -- even by companies highly recommended on this very forum -- are hit or miss. I've spent $400 on inspections that were very thorough mechanically, only to find out they missed some rather obvious body work. That is especially true for indys and race shops because they tend to focus on the mechanical side. I've spent much less for dealer PPIs and been pleasantly surprised that they took actual paint meter readings on cars and read them to me over the phone. However, I'm not recommending you forgo a PPI (or that you use a dealer), but just that you don't place too much trust a "clean" result.

Carfax is also hit or miss, and since everyone is in the know now, people can take steps to make sure that major accidents don't even end up on Carfax. That's even more true for Porsche owners, many of whom have the means to pay out of pocket to fix accidents. From the perspective of a diligent buyer, a clean Carfax is nearly meaningless on these cars. In my opinion, the only thing Carfax and Autocheck are good for is ruling out cars that have salvage titles.

Carmax, at least in my area, does excellent body inspections, but they are a bit weak on the mechanical inspection. They are usually pricey, but nowadays I find them to be the most trustworthy, reliable place to buy something used. Buying from Carmax beats the hell out of having a seemingly friendly private party seller, or the highest rated dealer on the internet lie to your face. They do miss stuff sometimes, but who else is going to give you that 5-day guarantee?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2014 Cayman S I bought without physically seeing it, which was really my first modern car (first car over $7500) I ever bought... from Seattle porsche dealer (of tacoma), while I was in Boston.

I got pictures, reconfirmed all details, got rev report, etc. from the dealer.

I found a reputable independent porsche shop to do PPI. Dealer agreed to bring it there. PPI confirmed most was good but pointed out that wheels are aftermarket and it had snow tires. Couldn't tell this from the pics really, but was able to get dealer to install new OEM tires.

Did the purchase, but don't assume the dealer, or especially the salesperson, will know how to do an out of state sale. They were convinced they could collect registration/taxes from me and complete registration for me. Then they said I would have to pick up the plates from my RMV when they come in and bring them to my car shipper's drop off point to drive it home. Then after I called the RMV to see if they were correct, RMV said they don't even accept faxes/mail of forms. Dealer ended up mailing me a check back for all the fees and I had to go register it on my own.

Overall, things were pretty good. There is some chipping of the paint towards the underside of rear bumper behind the tires (likely from sand from driving in a winter) that the PPI didn't uncover but otherwise was as expected. I probably had a little bit of luck but my option list cut availability to about 1 car per month or so that was right, in a country-wide search. It was also CPO so I felt a little protected in that sense.

I am interested more in this broker thing... how do you find a good broker?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all great info, but one big issue here hasn't been discussed, but seems very important: in a private-party to private-party transaction, how do you deal with the money transfer?

From all the craigslist scams over the years, it seems clear that a cashier's check is no longer safe for the seller, since there is no way to guarantee it's not fraudulent. For the type of cars we are talking about, cash doesn't seem like a reasonable option at all.

Are people wiring money? If so, how does the timing on that work, since the seller doesn't want to sign over the title until the money arrives, but the buyer doesn't want to send the money until they have the car...
Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

We used the Lemon Squad to check out a car in Washington state (we live in NC). Ended up buying it (JCW mini) and had it shipped. If I was buying a Porsche, I like what most folks here are recommending - use a Porsche dealer. I honestly cannot recall how we did the financial part. I believe we sent them a personal check, but can't recall if they had already shipped it or not. We had developed a decent amount of trust with them in going through the deal, so I think we were okay in sending them the money first.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:07 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@fronesis47: Money transfer is a huge problem, yes. Has anyone successfully used an online escrow service to help with that?

Also, would it be valuable to have a "one-stop" platform that helps with inspection scheduling, escrow, shipping, and titling, in that order?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fronesis47
This is all great info, but one big issue here hasn't been discussed, but seems very important: in a private-party to private-party transaction, how do you deal with the money transfer?

From all the craigslist scams over the years, it seems clear that a cashier's check is no longer safe for the seller, since there is no way to guarantee it's not fraudulent. For the type of cars we are talking about, cash doesn't seem like a reasonable option at all.

Are people wiring money? If so, how does the timing on that work, since the seller doesn't want to sign over the title until the money arrives, but the buyer doesn't want to send the money until they have the car...
Yes, this is a big problem in some cases. If it is a dealer of any kind, I worry about it a lot less... but if it is a private party I would never wire money unless you were absolutely certain who they were. A couple things you could do though if you really felt compelled to do this. I've asked before if they have an Ebay profile - then messaged them through the profile. If they have been an ebay member for a decade with some feedback/etc. it is a good sign they are real.

If you are really concerned you could ask them to do the transaction through ebay itself and cover the extra percentage fee - at least you get buyer protection then.

Quick Reply: How do you buy a Porsche (or any car) out of state