Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.

Hey folks! I've wanted a 911 since I was a kid. The 997 came out when I was in high school and it always seemed like the perfect generation, because it finally got rid of the melted egg headlights and went back to traditional Porsche design cues in a modern package.

For the last two years I had a 2006 Miata which I loved, but my income rose quite a bit and I was on a good position to finally realize my childhood dream and bought a 997.1 Carrera 2 several months ago. I sold the Miata to help fund the purchase.

Now that the initial excitement of owning my dream car has worn off, I feel a little ambivalent about the Porsche. I miss the tossability and balance of the Miata, compared to the Porsche which is rear heavy but has massive grip. I miss putting the top down, and something about 911 Cabriolets never seemed to look right to me. I also miss the sheer unbreakability and cheapness of the Miata. I like to keep my money in my pocket, so I do kind of pine for the good old days of cheap tires, cheap parts, and easy DIY maintenance. Last but not least, the Porsche is so fast that it can be a bit tough to enjoy it on public roads. I want to hear that 6 cylinder sing, but I can't rev it out very much before I'm at "go directly to jail" speeds.

I also have a newborn kiddo (my first) so I don't get to go on a lot of long solitary drives in the car, and it truly feels like overkill trundling into town on date nights with my wife.

Did any of you guys have similar feelings? I'm sort of debating selling the car for hopefully a similar price to what I paid and looking for another Miata, or sticking with it a bit longer and see if I "bond" with the car more. I've also been debating the Fister mod, which might make the car more exciting to drive below the redline, but could affect resale value if I ultimately decide to sell anyways.

FYI, I have considered Boxsters, but for me once the top is down I don't really care about how fast I'm going, so in that sense the additional cost of a Boxster doesn't seem worth it.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

2009 C2S 125K miles

Yep, you got it. 911s are big heavy cars... particularly coming from a Miata. That is the way it goes. I owned a 2000 Boxster S and that was way more fun than a 911. But a Boxster is still bigger and heavier than a Miata.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

It sounds to me you have a major case of buyer's remorse. How long did you spend test-driving and really considering the car, if you don't mind me asking? Usually, a lot of owners go through this sort of "falling out" with their cars, because they didn't do enough research, or was realistic about their expectations. In fact, I actually did this with two Japanese cars that I owned, a DBA GTR and a RCF, and ended up taking a major loss on one as a lesson to realistically, and earnestly, consider vehicle purchases before jumping headlong into it.

When I went through this with the RCF, I ended up trying to keep the car for 6 months, doing some suspension and exhaust mods, and still ended up taking a loss on it when I finally sold it to a private party (although for a much better price than trade-in). But I would really suggest taking some time and going through all of your expectations of the car and how you truly feel about it before you make such a personal, and financially burdened, decision either way.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be giving up performance, but perhaps an air cooled Porsche could get you engaged. They used to be cheap a few years back, but unfortunately even SCs have gone up in price and they are hard to find because people are holding on to them. But 993s, 964s, Carrera 3.2s and 911 SCs can be a very engaging drive.

I am actually fearful of giving up my 993 all because a new local race track is supposed to open up next year and not only do I lust for more power above what the 993 offers, and I am also not sure I should be tracking the 993 anymore. But out of the 997s I have driven to date, even though the 997.2 3.8L C2S has great performance potential, none of them are as engaging as driving an air cooled Porsche.

But if you don't want to stay with the Porsche brand, there are plenty of other cars out there. Perhaps Miatas are calling you back?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:38 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 424 Posts

It seems like an older used Boxster is a middle ground for you unless you want to go straight back to a Miata, which should actually be easy in this market (IDK where you are but in LA, multiple strangers have already asked me if my 997 is for sale unsolicited) ...and Miatas are really easy to find for pretty cheap here in LA as well, so you could sell high and buy low if you decided to go back to a Miata with a little planning and work. You might even find someone willing to do a trade + cash on their end for a well sorted Miata, which is similar to how I got in my first EVO coming from a Civic.

Your post is interesting to me because I came from 2 EVOs and then a giant (post rear end crash psychological comfort) B8 Avant, so the 911 feels so amazing to me. I also feel funny every time I look at my 911. EVOs and the Avant look OK but every time I look at my 911, I have whatever the opposite of buyer's remorse is. I even watch myself coming and going from my house on my security camera while I am at work just to see the car more. The feelings part shouldn't be ignored IMO. I get a lot of happiness within my bleak every day sadtimes 99% of the time bummer sitcom worthy joblife but commuting to and from work in a dream vehicle makes a huge difference in relation to my overall attitude when I am battling the administrative forces of doom, or just HR.

Last, I will say that my friend with a really old boxster that has been in his family since his dad got it in 1999, and my friend with a more recent used cayman, both didn't care much about my 997.1 C2S. I thought they would be more excited when I got it. They are not interested in a 911 at all but they would totally drive a Miata. For me, even with having had Miatas in the family (including a Monster Miata), no offense, but Miatas are really really not interesting to me in the slightest—regardless of well thought out arguments with graphs and formulas. in the same sense, I would also never consider a boxster either but that is just me.

Last edited by jamesinger; 06-17-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was chasing a 911 coupe because of the classic look and my first love being an early 70s 911 that a neighbor had. But I realized something during my hunt, when I had a 928s before and then bought an RX7 convertible I hardly ever drove the 928 again. They were both white cars, the performance of the 928 was 2x that of the RX7 but having the top down and really not giving a crap made the RX7 the car of choice. In the very last week of looking for a 911, I included cabs and ended up buying one. It's everything I could have wanted in a car, the performance is there (yet untapped and unrealized) the fun is there - top has been down since day 1 and car washes, and the car is a total joy. I had a life changing event 3 weeks after I bought my C4S and now could buy any car I want and it would be a rounding error. But all in all, I'm glad I got the car I wanted and it's a reasonable car given my abilities and conservative driving nature.

I do recall this though and it might help you, the first week I had the RX7, I tried to do a hiway merge in the same manner I could do with the 928. I recall almost getting rear ended and telling my gf at the time "this car is going to get me killied".

Point being drive your 911 for a few weeks and then borrow a Miata and see if you still think you made a bad move . Your memories may not be as solid as you believe.

If all else fails sell the Porsche and FFS put together an RX7 with street or bridge porting. IMHO Miatas are for girls. Same thing with straws and fruity drinks.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to the track*
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome whine. Sell it. Get a new Miata, they are awesome.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

At the start of each week, I look over my calendar and weather forecasts, and try to balance my schedule for the week to maximize seat time in my 997.2S. As a fun car, it's pretty practical, so I combine fun stuff like carving up the back roads solo with otherwise mundane tasks like going grocery shopping, visiting the dentist, or convincing our local real estate appraisal district that they're off their nut! Sorry, have to do the last thing tomorrow, and I'm taking the Porsche despite the bad optics, because it'll help me reach my zen state! Seriously though, I would try and make time to drive the car on some twisty back roads or a track as well as for routine chores. If that doesn't do the trick, sell it, and try something else. Life's too short to be unhappy behind the wheel of what should be a fun car. Best of luck...T
Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Tha answer is always miata
Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar feelings after acquiring my dream 991.2 GT3— loud, rough hooligan of a car that I wanted to use as DD but had big second thoughts —- but then after drive #6 in the car it all clicked. Amazing— no longer feels rough or loud, just perfect. The car is totally awesome and I’m glad I stuck it out. Not out of break in yet so the best is yet to come. Keep driving your car— epiphany happens!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
It sounds to me you have a major case of buyer's remorse. How long did you spend test-driving and really considering the car, if you don't mind me asking? Usually, a lot of owners go through this sort of "falling out" with their cars, because they didn't do enough research, or was realistic about their expectations. In fact, I actually did this with two Japanese cars that I owned, a DBA GTR and a RCF, and ended up taking a major loss on one as a lesson to realistically, and earnestly, consider vehicle purchases before jumping headlong into it.

When I went through this with the RCF, I ended up trying to keep the car for 6 months, doing some suspension and exhaust mods, and still ended up taking a loss on it when I finally sold it to a private party (although for a much better price than trade-in). But I would really suggest taking some time and going through all of your expectations of the car and how you truly feel about it before you make such a personal, and financially burdened, decision either way.
how could you not love that gtr? Wouldn’t trade mine for a Ferrari— love that beast!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

I love my 2008 PRHT Miata. Love it. If I had to chose, I'd probably take it over the 997. Light, easy to drive, top down on nice days, hard top on crappy days, good fuel economy, cheap to insure and fix, yada, yada. I think the 997 is a great car, but vastly different from the Miata.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I am, or was in the same mindset as you, but from the opposite end of the spectrum; the little Porsche 6 just doesn't have the same power as a big V8. But when I start to think about cars that I would want to own to replace my C2S, the list gets pretty short; especially of cars I can afford. The more you drive it, the more you want to drive it....it really grows on you!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the Porsche world. No, they are not cheap to buy and even comparatively are very expensive to
own if you are maintenance obsessed. I feel you and even after a 4 year ownership of my 997.2 cab, I get
pissed at the money I throw at the car and mind you beside the fuel pump I have had absolutely no
breakdowns. Just regular maintenance and when I tabulate the cost of ownership over 4 years, I am appalled.
Now I'll also tell you that the smile on my face whenever I get into my C2S cab is from ear to ear and never
fades away. That to me is PRICELESS!!!!

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car (997) but not totally enamored.