Sponsored by:

Is there a doctor in the room?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 PM
SmallCarGuy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a doctor in the room?

During the 2016 race season, my doctor put me on Eliquis (anticoagulant) to address what appears to be a hereditary blood clotting issue. I was told to avoid dangerous activities, which included discontinuing my Spec Miata habit.

Two years on, I’m trying to figure out how to get back to wheel-to-wheel racing. With their emphasis on no contact and avoiding low-risk passes, I’m wondering if vintage racing with an organization like SVRA would be reasonably safe.

Hoping that a doctor and fellow racer can provide an opinion/assessment on the relative risk of wheel-to-wheel racing with a vintage organization while taking Eliquis. To the uninitiated, all auto racing is dangerous so I don’t fault my doctor for discouraging this behavior.

Please note that I am not seeking a medical diagnosis, a prescription or anything else that would constitute a medical treatment. Rather, just hopeful that a qualified medical professional and fellow racer could weigh in with their opinion …

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a DR. but I say do what you want. This life is short and no one makes it out alive. I would buy the best safety gear and cage that I could, and go have fun.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Ultimately, the organization makes the call whether to issue the license.

Your doctor did not instruct you to find a class with less contact, he instructed you to avoid activities that have the potential (frequent or not) to cause bleeding.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have bled a lot more working on my car than driving it.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I deal with patients on blood thinners such as Eliquis regularly. When these patients come in from a motor vehicle accident, their care is significantly complicated due to the use of blood thinners. What would be a small Limited intracranial bleed can turn into a life-threatening situation. Extremity injuries that would normally be a small contusion can turn into major hematomas. Definitive care of broken bones is often delayed, waiting for the blood thinner to wear off, leading to major blood loss. Your doctor is absolutely correct in recommending that you avoid dangerous activities. The consequences can be much more severe or fatal if you are on a blood thinner. Even if you are well restrained inside a safety cage, the the abrupt deceleration can cause internal injury which would be much more severe with prolonged bleeding.

The increased risks that I mentioned above are not isolated to driving on a track. Any motor vehicle accident or even a slip-and-fall, banging your head on the sidewalk would be more severe on a blood thinner.
Any elective activity that puts you at risk for injury including race car driving ,skiing or even a friendly game of touch football could lead to more severe injury than normal.

That being said, YOU need to decide if the enjoyment that you gain from track activities outweighs the added risks and consequences.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Well, if I needed an excuse to eat better and exercise there it is. That is a grim prognosis.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:19 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Well, if I needed an excuse to eat better and exercise there it is. That is a grim prognosis.
Don't get me wrong, most people on blood thinners with injuries do okay. But there is potential and unfortunately, in the world we live in, patients must be fully informed.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2018, 02:16 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
No kidding. Salad for lunch today....
Old 06-15-2018, 02:24 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Agree with the above poster. As a physician who deals with trauma, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever allow myself or any family member to drive on track while on Eliquis or any other blood thinners. The potential for a bad outcome if you have an incident is too high. Many of the newer blood thinners are difficult to reverse, and sudden deceleration injuries like liver lacerations or splenic ruptures are life threatening if not on blood thinners. The possibility of an intracranial bleed even with a helmet on is real. Do I need to go on? Ultimately, the decision is yours, but the consequences are real, to you and your family if you do have a significant incident.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Do not race if you are on blood thinners (oral anticoagulants).
Old 06-15-2018, 03:20 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Agree with the above poster. As a physician who deals with trauma, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever allow myself or any family member to drive on track while on Eliquis or any other blood thinners. The potential for a bad outcome if you have an incident is too high. Many of the newer blood thinners are difficult to reverse, and sudden deceleration injuries like liver lacerations or splenic ruptures are life threatening if not on blood thinners. The possibility of an intracranial bleed even with a helmet on is real. Do I need to go on? Ultimately, the decision is yours, but the consequences are real, to you and your family if you do have a significant incident.
How does this impact the methods of travel? I haven't been around racing forever but it seems like I see as many serious accidents on the side of the road as I do on track
Old 06-15-2018, 04:33 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 481 Posts

Trauma surgeon here; agree with the other physicians who have weighed in. Even a good smack of your helmeted head against a rollbar could kill you. While I'm new to HPDE, I'm a long-time bicycle racer and have opined on the same issue in that community - no mass start racing on anticoagulants and solo time trials are a calculated risk. Given your passion for auto racing, ask your physician about switching to another anticoagulant. There are now monoclonal reversal agents for some of the newer Xa inhibitor anticoagulants (Praxbind reverses Pradaxa). Good old Coumadin can also be more readily reversed than your Eliquis. I would still advice against racing/HPDE on anticoagulants, but using one that is more readily reversed might tilt the margin of safety slightly in your favor. Slightly is the key word. Also weigh your local medical resources - is your track near a verified trauma center (preferably level I)? Do you have dependents? Also check your life and disability insurance - just like auto, you or your family may be SOL if you are in bad shape or worse. Ultimately it's your choice.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I have never given more blood since these new "miracle" drugs hit the market.
Agree with all (-) comments above.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Another physician here. I don't think it makes sense to track while on Eliquis. I am not a hematologist but you could consult one to discuss what the risk would be for you to take an Eliquis 'holiday' during which time of course you would be susceptible to clots. Perhaps a hematologist could offer you a so called "bridging" solution as simple as taking aspirin or another shorter half-time anticoagulant such as LMWH while you participate in a given track event. Again I am not a hematologist so this might be terrible advice but if would certainly be worth consulting.

As I recall a few years ago there was a corvette driver who crashed in a DE or race that ended up with him having a fatal head bleed. As I recall he was on coumadin.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Another physician here. I don't think it makes sense to track while on Eliquis. I am not a hematologist but you could consult one to discuss what the risk would be for you to take an Eliquis 'holiday' during which time of course you would be susceptible to clots. Perhaps a hematologist could offer you a so called "bridging" solution as simple as taking aspirin or another shorter half-time anticoagulant such as LMWH while you participate in a given track event. Again I am not a hematologist so this might be terrible advice but if would certainly be worth consulting.

As I recall a few years ago there was a corvette driver who crashed in a DE or race that ended up with him having a fatal head bleed. As I recall he was on coumadin.
Good advice.

Yes, Road Atlanta Corvette.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Is there a doctor in the room?