Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Starter, Longer Crank Times, Occasional No-Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:35 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Starter, Longer Crank Times, Occasional No-Start

New 16V '87 engine, had the '84 starter from my old engine on it, worked fine for a while, then died. I bought a new (rebuilt) '87 starter, starts up fine now, but takes twice the time before it fires, and occasionally it will fire but die as soon as I let go of the starter. Once it is running, it runs perfectly with no incident. The starter is not slow and does not sound like it's struggling at all. I would suspect speed sensor adjustment, except that it runs perfectly otherwise. Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

test the ignition switch?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Use a spark checker to see if you have a good strong spark while cranking. Just using a plug is not good enough.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
test the ignition switch?
Replaced it at the time of engine swap.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Use a spark checker to see if you have a good strong spark while cranking. Just using a plug is not good enough.
Ok. I'll clean the makeshift ground for the ICM too.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a weak fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure while cranking.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 AM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Fuel damper? Easy to check. Remove vacuum line and see if it’s leaking any fuel. There should be none. If leaking it floods the engine and makes it hard to start and somtimes runs rich till it burns off the excess fuel.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:27 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

The starter on my 944 8v was replaced and the engine starts have experienced the same symptoms. The engine starts progressed to no start. When replacing the starter, there is a realignment of the starter gear with the ring gear on the flywheel. The re-engagement process creates metal filing chips. I am now investigating and pulled the speed and reference sensors.
There were metal filings attached to the bottom of both sensors. My assumption is that required gap has reduced to the point where the sensors do not function. Both sensors tested functional per Clark Garage procedure using ohm meter test only. I also tested each prong of the plug to ground on the metal portion of the sensor and there was no leakage.
I have not reinstalled the sensors, going on vacation for a few days.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:15 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
The starter on my 944 8v was replaced and the engine starts have experienced the same symptoms. The engine starts progressed to no start. When replacing the starter, there is a realignment of the starter gear with the ring gear on the flywheel. The re-engagement process creates metal filing chips. I am now investigating and pulled the speed and reference sensors.
There were metal filings attached to the bottom of both sensors. My assumption is that required gap has reduced to the point where the sensors do not function. Both sensors tested functional per Clark Garage procedure using ohm meter test only. I also tested each prong of the plug to ground on the metal portion of the sensor and there was no leakage.
I have not reinstalled the sensors, going on vacation for a few days.
Interesting. Please keep us updated once you do find your issue. I will pull my reference sensor just to make sure but I doubt this is my problem as I only experience it on cold starts.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Sounds like a weak fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure while cranking.
Fuel pump is only a few years old. Had perfect pressure at the time of the engine swap this spring. I can check again, but I only get the issue on cold starts. Unless there's some reason the pump would function better with the vehicle hot?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:21 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by No Lag
Fuel damper? Easy to check. Remove vacuum line and see if it’s leaking any fuel. There should be none. If leaking it floods the engine and makes it hard to start and somtimes runs rich till it burns off the excess fuel.
This had occurred to me. Maybe the problem only happens on "cold" starts because it's been sitting for a while and had a chance to flood the cylinders. I'll pull the vacuum line. Is it possible for it to fail and not show a leak?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:35 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehayes
Fuel pump is only a few years old. Had perfect pressure at the time of the engine swap this spring. I can check again, but I only get the issue on cold starts. Unless there's some reason the pump would function better with the vehicle hot?
I mentioned this because I've seen fuel pumps slow to build pressure when cold but after started work perfectly. This happen to a friend of mine L98 TPI engine. And his fuel pump was only a year old.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:00 PM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This had occurred to me. Maybe the problem only happens on "cold" starts because it's been sitting for a while and had a chance to flood the cylinders. I'll pull the vacuum line. Is it possible for it to fail and not show a leak?
i would say not. When it fails its dumping raw fuel into the intake. If your not seeing fuel from the vacuum line then it’s probably ok.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:20 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Can you run the fuel pump without starting the engine? Check your fuel pressure after fuel pump has run and is shutoff during "x" period to determine if the fuel pressure leaks off. Could be a failed check valve at fuel pump outlet. See Clark's Garage for test procedure. Also test the engine water temperature sensor connected to DME. This sensor compensates AFR for cold starts. See Clark's Garage for test procedure.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:05 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Managed to get a few minutes to mess around with the car this weekend. Pulled the vacuum lines from the damper and regulator, no smell of fuel.

I suspected the 16V specific ignition control module, so I took a close look at that. To my surprise, the connector was missing its wire locking mechanism, and when I pulled the connector off, it had a small amount of water in it. I thought for sure this would be the problem. I cleaned the ground for the ICM, heated the connector with a heat gun to get any excess moisture out, made sure all the pins were clean, made a new wire clip, and re mounted it at a different angle further into the engine bay to avoid future water intrusion. Didn't solve the problem at all. I do feel better about it though haha.

I ran out of time, but I was able to verify that the problem does not occur due to the engine not being hot, but rather the car having sat for a significant period of time. I let it sit overnight, started it, took forever and coughed to life. Immediately killed it and restarted it, fired up immediately. So the fuel system not holding pressure certainly seems like a possibility. My next test will be to let it sit for a while and then jump the pins of the DME relay to run the pump before I start the car. If it starts right up, that'll pretty much confirm it's either the pump, check valve, or something else I'm not familiar with.

Edit: Did the S and NA use the same fuel pump? Is there any reason my 8V fuel system wouldn't be able to keep up with the 16V engine? I know the injectors require a different current but I don't know what that means in terms of fuel flow.

Last edited by mikehayes; 06-11-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: New Starter, Longer Crank Times, Occasional No-Start