Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Speedster, would you consider the value to hold, appreciate or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:08 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 997 Speedster, would you consider the value to hold, appreciate or not?

I am in the market for a modern collectible and I like the looks of the 997 Speedster from 2011, especially the pure blue. Will this particular model appreciate?
I was considering the 911R, but I believe the prices will drop as they are stratospheric at this point and I can't see this model appreciating at all. It will haveto come down, or bottom out wherever that is and then climb up, but who knows. I would rather purchase something that is climbing rather than going the other way.
Thoughts?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Just because it's a speedster, it will probably hold its value, but the 997 version isn't anywhere near as pretty or pure in concept as the 964 one, which will probably appreciate more. I don't know what current values on 987 speedsters are, but it's kind of an odd-duck model. If the price is close, a better investment would be a Carrera GT.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of a single bet on one car why not buy a few that are likely to appreciate ? Unique but desirable PTS (paint to sample), manual, delete sunroof 997s with good options seem very likely to go up.

This Mexico blue 997 Turbo S did quite well despite having a PDK and a sunroof - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-s-3/

+ 1 Marv's post below - ( If I (we ) are lucky there will be affordable conversion kits to keep our 911s on the road as e-cars)

ICEs have no future.

Last edited by Meursault88; 05-25-2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: edit acronyms and +1 Marv
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't count on it appreciating significantly, but small-batch Porsches generally seem to at least hold their value. I can understand not wanting to pay market price for a car that is overvalued, but you're kidding yourself if whatever you are buying is to be an "investment".

If you're trying to make money there are many better investments out there. If you like the car, buy it because you like it and the prospect of owning it and enjoying it how you choose, whether that is driving it regularly or displaying it as part of a collection, is appealing.

If it's just a number, why bother?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
I wouldn't count on it appreciating significantly, but small-batch Porsches generally seem to at least hold their value. I can understand not wanting to pay market price for a car that is overvalued, but you're kidding yourself if whatever you are buying is to be an "investment".

If you're trying to make money there are many better investments out there. If you like the car, buy it because you like it and the prospect of owning it and enjoying it how you choose, whether that is driving it regularly or displaying it as part of a collection, is appealing.

+1

Even the stratospheric prices on the early 911s (i.e., 911T, 911S) are easily eclipsed by a modest mutual fund.

That's just looking at purchase price versus net value after 40 - 50 years and doesn't include additional costs like upkeep, storage, insurance, etc.

There are exceptions, but getting into that club takes some *****, luck, and due diligence, not to mention disposable cash.

The other factor to consider is that there is going to be a paradigm shift in cars over the next 20 years. Internal combustion engines will be phased out for electric or other technologies. Several cities are already looking at banning them altogether in the coming decades.

At first you would not think that really matters, but governments are trying to wean us from fossil fuels and as more and more vehicles move away from gasoline, fuel prices are going to skyrocket (less demand will obviate lower production), further discouraging people from gasoline cars.

Eventually, gasoline based cars will be museum pieces owned by collectors and their numbers will low. So, buy what makes you happy and drive it while you can.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Only 356 made so I can only see the price going up. I think it'll be another decade or so before it really stats to move though.
How high is anybody's guess. Just look a the prices of the 911 and 964's.

But there looks to be a 991 Speedster coming....
https://www.motor1.com/news/242254/p...ter-spy-shots/
Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just because it's a speedster, it will probably hold its value, but the 997 version isn't anywhere near as pretty or pure in concept as the 964 one, which will probably appreciate more. I don't know what current values on 987 speedsters are, but it's kind of an odd-duck model. If the price is close, a better investment would be a Carrera GT.
The price on the 997 Speedster is not anywhere near a CGT. I would love to be able to purchase a CGT, that is lottery money to me. For me the closest to the CGT is the FGT that I am considering.

Last edited by bcgreen; 05-25-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Originally Posted by Meursault88
Instead of a single bet on one car why not buy a few that are likely to appreciate ? Unique but desirable PTS, manual, delete sunroof 997s with good options seem very likely to go up.

This Mexico blue 997 TS did quite well despite having a PDK and a sunroof - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-s-3/
Excuse my ignorance, but does PTS stand for Porsche Turbo S?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Generally "PTS" means "Paint to Sample", i.e. painted at the factory in a color other than what was readily offered.

I think here , TS is "Turbo S", but Mexico Blue is also usually a "PTS" color. This is why acronyms are worthless.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by BillNye

I understand perfectly. But here is my life's story. I have always loved cars and have usually bought interesting cars because they looked good and not every one had one. No Hondas or Toyotas for me. For instance Shelby 350H or Shelby 500KR. I thought if I put substantial money into a car and I can't sell it for what I paid for it then I will not be able to purchase another interesting car. I never made much money when I worked, but I lived way below my means. My high school car I owned for 44 years. My DD is a MC40. So I am retired and to purchase a nice vehicle that's value is going down will stop me from continueing to buy interesting cars.

Last edited by bcgreen; 05-28-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:16 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Marv
+1

Even the stratospheric prices on the early 911s (i.e., 911T, 911S) are easily eclipsed by a modest mutual fund.

That's just looking at purchase price versus net value after 40 - 50 years and doesn't include additional costs like upkeep, storage, insurance, etc.

There are exceptions, but getting into that club takes some *****, luck, and due diligence, not to mention disposable cash.

The other factor to consider is that there is going to be a paradigm shift in cars over the next 20 years. Internal combustion engines will be phased out for electric or other technologies. Several cities are already looking at banning them altogether in the coming decades.

At first you would not think that really matters, but governments are trying to wean us from fossil fuels and as more and more vehicles move away from gasoline, fuel prices are going to skyrocket (less demand will obviate lower production), further discouraging people from gasoline cars.

Eventually, gasoline based cars will be museum pieces owned by collectors and their numbers will low. So, buy what makes you happy and drive it while you can.
I agree with the direction we are going. I know Calif. wants to go electric soon, I think they will try and force the car guys out of their gas cars. Will be a big fight. I hope to buy what I like but don't want to be stuck with "this will be my last car" mentality.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
PTS = Paint to Sample. Custom color palate from Porsche.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:28 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe too personal a question, but what is your budget? There are many 997's that will not depreciate much more, if at all. How much appreciation you want depends on your initial investment, I guess.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by wc11
Only 356 made so I can only see the price going up. I think it'll be another decade or so before it really stats to move though.
How high is anybody's guess. Just look a the prices of the 911 and 964's.

But there looks to be a 991 Speedster coming....
https://www.motor1.com/news/242254/p...ter-spy-shots/
Sure looks like a 991 cab. not very distintive as the 997 is so different from the rest of the 997 line up.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Maybe too personal a question, but what is your budget? There are many 997's that will not depreciate much more, if at all. How much appreciation you want depends on your initial investment, I guess.
250k.

Quick Reply: 997 Speedster, would you consider the value to hold, appreciate or not?