Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 RS and 18 way seats? Rare or bad resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 AM
TechnicaGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 RS and 18 way seats? Rare or bad resale value?

So I'm on the search for my first Porsche (let alone GT3 RS), and I'm having troubles finding 991.1 RS's with the 18ways, but I'm seeing the LWB seats EVERYWHERE on all the RS's on the market.

Do RS's with 18ways sell for much cheaper then get quickly picked up? The lowest price RS has those comfy seats that I've seen (189k). Or are they just not desirable, HENCE why it's the cheapest one on the market?

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I'm quite new to the P-car crowd!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Most people and dealers ordered LWB's. That's why you see that most of the used ones have them. When I bought my RS the options were limited as I wanted 18 ways as it's more of a DD than track car for me. Buy what you want not what you think the next buyer wants. While most want buckets there are plenty of 18 way buyers out there. When I bought mine last year there was little to no price differential in cars with either seat....
Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 AM
TechnicaGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Most people and dealers ordered LWB's. That's why you see that most of the used ones have them. When I bought my RS the options were limited as I wanted 18 ways as it's more of a DD than track car for me. Buy what you want not what you think the next buyer wants. While most want buckets there are plenty of 18 way buyers out there. When I bought mine last year there was little to no price differential in cars with either seat....
I see, I mean it makes sense - race car needs race car seats.

How much are the seats off market? So when buying used? Is it better to buy a car with LWB's and sell them for 18 ways?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

for pure resale, at least for the foreseeable future, it is better to buy a car with LWB . I think cars with them get a little more money as compared to 18 way sofas, assuming everything else is same. But if you buy it few thousands cheaper, then sell it few thousands cheaper, it will not affect you as the first owner paid for the hit.
so overall, if buying used , it will be a wash
so get what fit your needs
Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

It is probably going to be very hard to find a RS with 18 ways with the colors/options you might prefer. When searching the ads continuously this past fall/winter, there where only a handful for sale with 18 ways. As posted above, buy the car you want. LWB's are great for the track, but if it is going to be a DD only, get the 18 ways. You don't want to spend big $ and be unhappy driving the car. It is an amazing car, but very focused in its purpose.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

When ordering a new RS the LWB was a no cost option but the seats are $18k to put in a car from Porsche parts, if you can get them. Many people ordered them for track use, yes but not getting them was leaving money on the table. To convert a sofa to LWB is way more expensive than going the other way. Hence the lower resale. So, wait and find one that has the configuration you want at the lower price.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:05 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think there is real reliable data supporting the LWB vs 18-ways on the RS. Sure it was the case on the .1 GT3, but that was due to the delayed introduction of the seats starting from MY15 Nov deliveries.

I know quiet a few collectors that got 18-ways because that is what they wanted. Theyve forgotten more about the car marker than I will ever know, but just get what you want as most of us here have very little idea.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

What if I one day want to retire the car from track duty and want the buckets out and 18 way in?

Possible?
Anyone done this?
Cost?
Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

From experience this is my take.....
18 ways: Great for DD and work just fine for occasional track duty (there are no trophies)
LWB's: Great for track duty and suck for DD (my opinion)

For myself, 18 ways tick both boxes and future value/ resale is not a concern....
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

I just looked into this. Thought I would order my 3rs with buckets for resale and then buy a set of 18 ways to use while I owned the car (mostly DD and occasional track use). Dealer told me $15k for 18 ways, so it isn't cheap. I think you are better off buying an aftermarket seat if you go that way. For me, it was look. The buckets look a lot cooler in carbon fiber. I wish the backs of the 18 ways were in carbon fiber as well instead of the ugly grey plastic. If they were, I would probably order 18 ways and not think about it.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You can get 18 ways with leather backs which gets rid of the grey plastic. Get what you want, especially if you are buying used. Sure, LWBs May be worth a couple more bucks but who cares if you don’t like/want them.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

We have LWB in our RS and hubby wishes he'd gone with 18 way for two reasons:

1. Comfort (it's not gonna see a lot of track time). The LWB aren't bad and fit everyone differently, but because there isn't a lot of padding they add to the "harsh" ride. Depends on how it fits you and if you have any issues which are affected by being jolted repeatedly (like a stiff riding car over bumpy roads). LWB don't bother me in the least. I have them in my GT4 and a 5 hour drive is not an issue. Hubby finds them uncomfortable on extended trips.

2. Access to space behind the seats. This RS was our first 911. We never thought about how we'd access the space behind the seats. The previous generation of LWB articulated (folded forward) which made it very easy to slide harnesses through or get to the space behind the seat (had them in my Cayman R). But this latest generation of LWB are fixed - meaning they do not fold forward. The only way to access space behind the seats is to move one seat all the up and squeeze something between the seat and door (and risk scratching the carbon fiber). When we took a trip last fall we packed in small soft duffles. We filled up the boot first but still had a few things that we wanted to bring and the small soft bags made it easy to get them behind the seats. It's works out okay but we never considered this before selecting the seats.

The LWB look MUCH cooler but you'd have to sit in them to know if you find them comfortable. We had the 18ways in our first GT4 and hubby LOVED those seats. Probably shoulda gotten the 18 way in the RS. At the time we ordered the car we looked into buying 18 ways separately (ordering a set so we could swap them) but the dealer said not possible to just order 18 way seats. Not sure if that was misinformation after reading above...

Good luck with your decision! Great problem to have!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Doesn't make sense to order an option just for resale if it risks you not enjoying your car to the max. Ordering $15K seats to replace LWB which you would put back in for "resale" isn't smart financially. Those $15K 18 ways won't even get 50% at resale, so you're losing more $$ there than the perceived LWB resale advantage.

Any part is available for purchase. You can order every single part on your car.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
You can get 18 ways with leather backs which gets rid of the grey plastic. Get what you want, especially if you are buying used. Sure, LWBs May be worth a couple more bucks but who cares if you don’t like/want them.

Looks a lot better with rear leather.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm very comfy in the LWB for a few hours, even with a bad neck that's noticed on the hard bumps.
Perfect for harnesses but you can buy better custom fitted after market, some even have removable Halo parts for maximum safety on track.

But once the car becomes my DD, I don't see the point.
The 18 ways are just fine, specially in PDK cars where you can brace with your left leg, and a 3 point seatbelt for an occasional track day.
So maybe I'll take the bar out as well, probably not worth the money but we'd have the giant space in the back available..

Not sure what I will order on the new RS (if I ever get one) but might go full cage and Halo seats with removable head protection things.
If it becomes a AMG GTR that's probably the route to go.

Quick Reply: 991.1 RS and 18 way seats? Rare or bad resale value?