Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clatter on cold startup?

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clatter on cold startup?

When I start my 997S from cold, for example after sitting overnight, it makes a major clattering rattle noise from the rear of the car. The noise gradually subsides and is gone after only about 20-30 seconds of idling. My wild guesses are either some kind of exhaust heat shield, broken medium in the cat(s), or belt tensioner/idler.

I'd be happy to learn "they all do that" and there's an easy fix. Does anyone recognize this kind of noise, or do I need to take it to the shop? As far as I can tell there's no drivability effect, and I don't see anything loose in back - but like all rattles, I'd like to make it go away.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like the normal start up based on your description. It's the sound of the exhaust on cold start.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Sounds like the normal start up based on your description. It's the sound of the exhaust on cold start.
Sure that's not the chain tensioner rattle?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,128 Likes on 3,903 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
Sure that's not the chain tensioner rattle?
This is my guess as I wouldn't call a clattering noise normal.

Now its also possible that something inside the cats or mufflers has broken loose and is rattling around until it gets hot enough to expand and stop the play.

If you pull the cats and shake them in your hands, they shouldn't sound like maracas. When the engine is cold try rapping on the mufflers with the heel of your hand or s rubber mallet - you shouldn't hear anything rocking around inside.

If those don't show anything being loose or broken, then you probably need to move on to the engine. Yours is a 3 chain motor so there are 3 tensioners for the timing chains and they do go bad. One of them might be slow to react which is why you hear the noise on startup but then it goes away. It's not too hard a job but you should have a chain locking tool to prevent them from moving when you remove the tensioner, and only do 1 at a time. Slack in the chain can damage the plastic tensioner paddle to where you then get metal on metal contact between the chain and the base of tge tensioner guide, or can snap the chain, then your engine loses timing and you need a new engine.

Get this identified and fixed sooner rather than later.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Some of the partitions and walls inside one of the muffler are loose and/or partially un-soldered.

I had the exact same issue (very typical of the early 997.1) and took it to a muffler shop. They opened the muffler delicately (almost surgically), welded everything back in place and the noise was gone. It cost me $75.
a lot better than a new muffler.

Yves
Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are looking for an informed answer you should attach a sound file (or just use your phone and attach the video). There are many people here with a lot of knowledge but a verbal description doesn’t give them much to go on and may lead to a conjecture (your definition of a rattle may be different than some one else’s). You are probably aware that your exhaust system gurgles/rattles in a more resonant tone upon start up because hot gases are channeled to warm up the catalytic converter. This usually lasts for 20 to 30 seconds. Not saying that’s your issue, it’s just hard to know without hearing what you are talking about.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Do the three chain tensioners rely on oil pressure to function? If so, I could understand that it could take a little time for them to become pressurized after a cold start.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Some of the partitions and walls inside one of the muffler are loose and/or partially un-soldered.

I had the exact same issue (very typical of the early 997.1) and took it to a muffler shop. They opened the muffler delicately (almost surgically), welded everything back in place and the noise was gone. It cost me $75.
a lot better than a new muffler.

Yves
I don't think they're hydraulic tensioners. If one of them is bad, the reason the noise may go away is the lash in the chain tends to smooth out once it's rotating and has some momentum and centrifugal force, neither of which is present when you first start the car and they just begin turning.

Last edited by Petza914; 05-22-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

At which end of the engine are these chain tensioners? Since the clattering lasts only a short while I want to try to position my ears so that I can discriminate between possible tensioner noise versus cat rattle. (My rubber mallet to the cats and mufflers hasn't duplicated the rattle).
Old 05-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sailorlite
At which end of the engine are these chain tensioners? Since the clattering lasts only a short while I want to try to position my ears so that I can discriminate between possible tensioner noise versus cat rattle. (My rubber mallet to the cats and mufflers hasn't duplicated the rattle).

Here's are a couple graphics showing you the timing chain configuration on a 3-chain motor (prior to 2002 they were a 5-chain motor). The 3 tensioners are the 3 big screw looking things. The oranginsh / brown things are the tensioner paddles and chain guides.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Are these new sounds you're reporting or the valve and cam chain slapping similar to this?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-startup.html
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Are these new sounds you're reporting or the valve and cam chain slapping similar to this?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-startup.html
Except that post is about the Mezger engines in the TT and GT cars and we don't have those in ours.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:08 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Except that post is about the Mezger engines in the TT and GT cars and we don't have those in ours.
Mine has that same tap and gurgle around the 0.07 sec mark during a cold start.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars have a secondary air pump that runs in the first 30 seconds or so of a cold start. This helps burn off the extra fuel associated with the rich mixture the car gets on cold starts. This extra air oxidizes and burns the extra fuel in the exhaust system an makes a rattle like sound. It can sound like a loose heat shield or exhaust system.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffblak
These cars have a secondary air pump that runs in the first 30 seconds or so of a cold start. This helps burn off the extra fuel associated with the rich mixture the car gets on cold starts. This extra air oxidizes and burns the extra fuel in the exhaust system an makes a rattle like sound. It can sound like a loose heat shield or exhaust system.
C'mon Jeff, you have to go with the most horrendous problem, rather than the most obvious answer. Think the OP regrets asking?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clatter on cold startup?