Sponsored by: APR

Spyder Fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default Spyder Fun

Past two weeks had some time to dive both cars and had a ball. First Porsche Spyder, rowing through the gears is the absolutely the best with the sweet sound of that marvelous 3.8l motor. I happen to think this car is perfectly balanced with power and handling along with driver fell ...will go into my power thoughts later. The looks Spyder rear lid sets it apart, and gives the car that mysterious look it’s a differentiator for sure vs other Porsche’s minus GT cars. This is my fourth Porsche in this order 991S, GT3 991 GT3RS 991, and Spyder ........top two of the four the last two and the RS was a beast so it takes for top spot. Actually they’re good as complementary cars I choose to sell at the top of the curve, and always wanted a Ferrari case closed there.

Ferrari, there’s no comparison other than my personal driving the two ......the Ferrari 458 is the best sounding engine I’ve heard and every gear change is amazing with a great rev band to 9k RPM. The Ferrari will always have a timeless look, and the unmistaken sound you can hear from afar. Easy car to drive around town and sounds good in all gears thus the removal of the RS. One thing that sucks in both cars is the reas visibility because of the hunches behind the seats, or whatever you call them but they do look cool. One other convertible parked next to Porsche M4 convertible ....will not waste my time I hate it will be gone in two months will trade it for a Mercedes GLE AMG for the wife.

Now back to the speed part why I feel the Porsche, and Ferrari have enough power. I drove my friends Mclaren 720 S which is over 700 HP’s at the wheels. I have never gone so fast in my life, and it has zero lag and takes off like a rocket with crazy grip. I’m just not sure where all this HP’s stuff will stop, but after driving that fast I’m just convinced I don’t need anymore power. My Ferrari felt like it has Kia power after the 720 S ............so my conclusion is I have two cars that awesome looks and enough power for me to enjoy. The Mac has officially retired me for the craving to want more power .......when you can get 100 plus in 5 seconds in a street car you’re bound to go to jail or kill yourself. Be safe guys, and we’re all lucky to have amazing cars except for my M4(:

Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

458 Spyder is very nice but there's something about the 5-valve per cylinder F355 sound... Ferrari will never make that motor ever again...

Old 05-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Great write up. I’m in agreement that we are now at a point that adding more power is completely unecessary unless you’re tracking the car and want to be the fastest. There is absolutely no place on the street that you can use all 500 Hp safely, it’s just bragging rights and maybe the occasional drag race from a light but I stopped doing that 20 years ago. I see 375, maybe 400 Hp as the absolute usable max for the street. I rarely wish I had more power in the Spyder and I would rather chase lower weight than more power. Reduce weight not only improves acceleration, it also improves braking and cornering which are even more important!

I have debated getting a 355 for years and have lusted after one since the day they were introduced. I still think it’s one of the best looking Ferrari’s every made (not including the 60’s cars) and the sound is pure sex. But when you start reading about the build quality and the maintenance required it almost immediately dampens my interest to a point that I have neve pulled the trigger. I would be curious to know how many long term owners there are and if anyone keeps one for more than 6 years. Seems after that first major service the ownership interest wanes but maybe I’m wrong? 430 may be a different story being more modern but I would want a manual and that’s out of my price range at this point.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

375 hp and 2900 lbs is $ for a street car!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great write up. I’m in agreement that we are now at a point that adding more power is completely unecessary unless you’re tracking the car and want to be the fastest. There is absolutely no place on the street that you can use all 500 Hp safely, it’s just bragging rights and maybe the occasional drag race from a light but I stopped doing that 20 years ago. I see 375, maybe 400 Hp as the absolute usable max for the street. I rarely wish I had more power in the Spyder and I would rather chase lower weight than more power. Reduce weight not only improves acceleration, it also improves braking and cornering which are even more important!

I have debated getting a 355 for years and have lusted after one since the day they were introduced. I still think it’s one of the best looking Ferrari’s every made (not including the 60’s cars) and the sound is pure sex. But when you start reading about the build quality and the maintenance required it almost immediately dampens my interest to a point that I have neve pulled the trigger. I would be curious to know how many long term owners there are and if anyone keeps one for more than 6 years. Seems after that first major service the ownership interest wanes but maybe I’m wrong? 430 may be a different story being more modern but I would want a manual and that’s out of my price range at this point.
Afshin I can be the test for your 355 question. I have a 97 6 speed F355 Berlinetta and also happen to be 987 Spyder manual owner as well.

The 355 was purchased 2 years ago at what I believe was the "right" price. Clean Red/Tan just over 20K miles. The headers, guides, etc all major big ticket items were already done. The vehicle required its engine out belt service. This along with sorting out all the items (I'm very compulsive) Lol was about 15K The car however is 100% complete. Over the past 2 years the car has been reliable with just yearly oil service. Unfortunately I only do less than 1000 miles do to time constraints and other cars that are driven. Most say on low per year mile car you can extend the major service 7+ years vs 3-5 Ferrari recommends. I love the car and being an "official" Ferrari owner. The sound is indeed amazing especially at the high RPMs, clinking noise of the gated shifter is like nothing and although the 987 Spyder is considered raw and bare bones the 355 requires more work. I like that they are different. I fell in love with the 355 years ago and feel blessed to be able to own one. Hopefully I'll continue to feel the same way if/when bills start to pile up LOL

Last edited by JPMD; 05-20-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling edit
Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 PM
ekam
Drifting

So purty...

Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 PM
ekam
Drifting

Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which GLE AMG are you getting? I would say if you are thinking of a sporty SUV, from best to worst, RRS SVR, Cayenne GTS, Tesla Model X.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

GLE AMG 4.3 ...no need for 6.3 it’s for the wife not me (: No way on a electric car my buddy drove his model X over today didn’t care for it. RRS is on the list for 2nd.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

All I can say is it's good to be Mav!

I'll need a huge stroke of luck to end up with an F-car in my garage someday, in which case it WILL be a Dino. Missed my chance when they were languishing in the $70s.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
GLE AMG 4.3 ...no need for 6.3 it’s for the wife not me (: No way on a electric car my buddy drove his model X over today didn’t care for it. RRS is on the list for 2nd.
Hopefully the SUV at least, and not the Coupe. They are just 43 and 63 designations, no need for the .. RRS got a facelift for 2018.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Andial
Hopefully the SUV at least, and not the Coupe. They are just 43 and 63 designations, no need for the .. RRS got a facelift for 2018.
‘think I follow you yes it’s the GLE Coup AMG 4.3 which is a SUV just a tad more egg shape. This is the spec I will order very close
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ekam
458 Spyder is very nice but there's something about the 5-valve per cylinder F355 sound... Ferrari will never make that motor ever again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvAC6vaJHxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmMf4FtmEI
love the 355 too, but the 458 does it for me looks and sound.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM
ekam
Drifting

Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Yes love it ^^ still prefer the V8 9k RPM screamer. Can’t go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Spyder Fun