Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy should it be to get the GT car you want?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:22 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default How easy should it be to get the GT car you want?

Everyone sure bitches about the inability to get the car you want? What if Porsche really listened? I am really very happy with my 991.1 GTS 7spd. I'm pretty sure I would be a happier with a GT3 6 speed but I can't get one, so I guess I won't be buying a new car. No sale for you Porsche. No other car in the Porsche lineup interests me.....unless my dealer where my name is on 'the list' calls to offer me an allocation for a GT3 RS or 2RS. I would probably take it just because of a perceived scarcity, even though I really don't want a PDK transmission in my weekend car. So I guess my point is that even though everyone complains, the allocation games are necessary to keep the panache of a GT car alive.

Last edited by 96redLT4; 05-20-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

A good car is a good car, playing games with scarcity and allocations doesn't change that other than **** people off and hurt brand loyalty long term.

Easy to do when times are good, but stings twice as bad when an economic slowdown happens.

Porsche really cares about volume. Cayenne, Panny, Macan, and soon Mission E. GT cars are merely a "hobby" to keep the race pedigree lineage going.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:35 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

^^ Well said....

J
Old 05-20-2018, 01:34 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

OP,
I feel your frustration...however, like many others, if you really want this car, suck it up and pay an ADM to find a build (although it may be a bit late in the game) or find a used 6 speed (good handful of used inventory). Porsche could care less loosing a "good customer".
Good luck in your search.
Jack
Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

It does seem odd that Porsche does not fulfill all of the requests for GT cars. Seems like they are turning away money. But perhaps they do that purposefully to keep the GT cars rarer and more sought after. Otherwise, here in LA, for instance, we might see a GT3 on every street corner like you see Dunkin' Donuts on every street corner in southern New England.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:36 AM
fruitcake
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they really gave us what we want, GT cars wouldn't be so sought after because part of the appeal is the resale value. Once that is gone when there is no shortage of supply, part of the appeal will also be gone.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

True
Old 05-20-2018, 05:30 AM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
A good car is a good car, playing games with scarcity and allocations doesn't change that other than **** people off and hurt brand loyalty long term.

Easy to do when times are good, but stings twice as bad when an economic slowdown happens.

Porsche really cares about volume. Cayenne, Panny, Macan, and soon Mission E. GT cars are merely a "hobby" to keep the race pedigree lineage going.
Very well said, especially in terms of loyalty. I'm by no means a "loyal" customer to Porsche since I only own one and it's the current 991.1 GT3. I contacted my dealership a few times in regards to allocation for the .2 GT3 as well as the .2 GT3RS, but to no avail. I'm going to take a very long shot and request a PTS spot in advance for the 992 GT3. I know we're very far away, but my desires for a Wimbledon Green GT3 is starting to itch badly. If Porsche isn't willing to accommodate me and my wallet, I probably won't buy another GT car again.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:01 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don’t have infinite resources- a finite number of people work a finite number of stations in order to properly arrange resources they had to pay for. GT cars, desirable as they are, will never create more profit than the big selling SUVs or even more common 911 models, just because of sheer volume that they can sell. The GT cars get on schedule when they can fit them in, and that delicate balance between keeping the customer base happy by providing vehicles, and the poison of over-saturation is frustrating but necessary.

they have been stuck w amazing cars in the pipeline when the economies of their important markets dropped out from under them. If you have ever run your own business, you can imagine the ice cold feeling that comes along w having a warehouse full or parts and tooling all set up to make products you know you won’t be able to sell b/c the money isn’t there. Sure, that’s not necessarily a HUGE concern right now, but how far should Porsche extend themselves to keep a small but vocal set of customers happy.

also, lots of people walk away from these things after ordering them, even when things are great.

do what we did- put your work in and secure yourself a vehicle, or get your checkbook out and bid on one. Why should the dealer be begging you to buy a super desirable car?

having said all that, I wish they built more rs’s, bc then there would be no markup, and then I would own one. But I’m grateful for my fuxxing amazing car and life, so I’m just going to be stoked about what I’ve got, and try to get more down the line
Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AhsanU
Very well said, especially in terms of loyalty. I'm by no means a "loyal" customer to Porsche since I only own one and it's the current 991.1 GT3. I contacted my dealership a few times in regards to allocation for the .2 GT3 as well as the .2 GT3RS, but to no avail. I'm going to take a very long shot and request a PTS spot in advance for the 992 GT3. I know we're very far away, but my desires for a Wimbledon Green GT3 is starting to itch badly. If Porsche isn't willing to accommodate me and my wallet, I probably won't buy another GT car again.
i call dibs on his rs allocation.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Over 1000 911s for sale on DuPont Registry.
They come in all flavors, including GT3, RS, etc.
Not owning your dream 911 comes down purely to financial will.
Stop kvetching and spend more time doing.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

My guess is for the most part GT owners are not loyal to the brand per se.....they love sports cars but not necessarily Porsche. For myself there is no other car in the lineup that interests me in the slightest.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve been very very loyal to Porsche since 2001....and have bought from 2 local dealers 10 various Porsche vehicles. I’m hear to tell you loyalty to a dealer and Porsche gets you nowhere as far as an allocation to a GT3 car. I’ve never once received 1 stinking phone call from the dealers about allocation and they know I’m into really owning and not flipping a GT car. Plus they know attend track events autocross and so forth.

Reeves and Bert Smith Porsche in the Tampa area both SUCK...they’ve told me that my 10 Porsche’s in 17 years is nothing and they have “real players” that buy 2-3 Porsche’s a year. Plus I was told their high dollar buyers will pay ADM $50k on GT3 no questions...had a guy buy 2GT3 in a year this waya salesman at Bert Smith told me.

So...I moved on from these Tampa area BS dealers and bought a Panamera S and my current 2017 GTS from Champion instead of local in the last few years. When my wife was ready last December to trade in her Panamera S...we didn’t even consider another Porsche and have to play the Porsche dealer BS games...she bought a AMG Mercedes instead.

Maybe if if I ask Champion they will put me on an allocation for a GT3RS in 2019...used LOL...if not Hello AMG GTR!

Last edited by mdrums; 05-20-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitcake
If they really gave us what we want, GT cars wouldn't be so sought after because part of the appeal is the resale value. Once that is gone when there is no shortage of supply, part of the appeal will also be gone.

So you're insinuating the GT cars can't stand on their own merit and wouldn't sell as well if they followed a more average depreciation curve? Say a McLaren?

The reality is, the great economic times and possible bubble is the reason for the ADM's and demand. Come a slowdown and huge market correction, resale values of all these cars will tank. We will look back at this drama in the future and laugh at it.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:26 AM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
It does seem odd that Porsche does not fulfill all of the requests for GT cars. Seems like they are turning away money. But perhaps they do that purposefully to keep the GT cars rarer and more sought after. Otherwise, here in LA, for instance, we might see a GT3 on every street corner like you see Dunkin' Donuts on every street corner in southern New England.
Porsche treats GT cars just like Rolex treats steel Daytonas and Patek treats the steel Nautilus: artificially limit supply and create a frenzy in the market. Patek took a shot this past fall by raising the price of the steel Nautilus by 20%! Hasn’t slowed demand a bit, more price increases coming. Some smart analyst said why are we leaving this money on the table? Porsche just did the same by doubling the price of PTS on GT cars. Doubling the price created a few cancellations but not enough balance capacity to demand.

If these cars continue to sell for a premium to msrp the price will continue to rise. It’s just smart business and I would do the same if I were running the business. Supply and demand will always be balanced by price, Porsche is not immune to that.

Last edited by James Walker; 05-20-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: How easy should it be to get the GT car you want?