Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014-15 Cayenne D questions

Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts
Default 2014-15 Cayenne D questions

Looking at purchasing a 14-15 Cayenne diesel to do some towing with. I've had both a 335d and X5d so, I'm relatively familiar with the urea, DPF type stuff. I've read up a little bit on the relatively limited tongue weight in comparison to the towing capacity and I think I can work around that.

Typically I would indulge my OCD tendencies and lurk for a few weeks doing research but, I'm kind of in a bit of a time crunch and would greatly appreciate if someone could give me the cliff notes on "the fix" what impacts that has had on the vehicle, if it has negative effects is it possible to address the problems with a tune or avoid the fix in general and any other potentially problematic things to be on the look out for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Hotrod.. welcome to the Cayenne forum. I'd suggest reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ion-issue.html - start at the end and read it backward. Everything you want to know is in that thread. And Cliff Notes from someone who doesn't own a diesel - the "fix" doesn't seem to change performance enough to worry about. That's just from watching posts discussing it here.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Hotrod.. welcome to the Cayenne forum. I'd suggest reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ion-issue.html - start at the end and read it backward. Everything you want to know is in that thread. And Cliff Notes from someone who doesn't own a diesel - the "fix" doesn't seem to change performance enough to worry about. That's just from watching posts discussing it here.
Thanks. I did start with that thread but, it was a bit difficult to wade through all the varied responses. Some people report no difference pre and post fix, others swear they've lost power and developed a nasty hesitation.

I've got 2 vehicles I'm going to look at tomorrow so, I'll try to dig in a bit more tonight.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Test drive both the vehicles you are considering. That is the only way to find out if either of their performance is acceptable to you or not.

I have a 2016 that had the fix and I can't tell a shyt-lick of difference from either before or after. If I test drove my truck, I'd buy it.

Why did you get out of the X5d?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by BenCD
Test drive both the vehicles you are considering. That is the only way to find out if either of their performance is acceptable to you or not.

I have a 2016 that had the fix and I can't tell a shyt-lick of difference from either before or after. If I test drove my truck, I'd buy it.

Why did you get out of the X5d?
That was a couple of vehicles ago. To be honest I loved the E70 X5d and would have stayed in it but, the timing of the lease ending and the equity I had in it worked out to get me into an F80 M3 at a price point I just couldn't pass on. We currently have an F15 X5 35i and to say I'm not a fan is an understatement. What they did to the suspension tuning and steering feel in that vehicle is a crime.

The other issue is the 6000lbs towing capacity of the X5 is pretty borderline with what I intend to be towing. That does bring me to another question, I'm reading the max tongue weight on the CD is something like 600lbs but, this may have changed over the years due to legal concerns. 600lbs could be problematic for me to maintain a minimum of 10% of the towing weight on the hitch. Does anyone have any more info on this situation?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
That was a couple of vehicles ago. To be honest I loved the E70 X5d and would have stayed in it but, the timing of the lease ending and the equity I had in it worked out to get me into an F80 M3 at a price point I just couldn't pass on. We currently have an F15 X5 35i and to say I'm not a fan is an understatement. What they did to the suspension tuning and steering feel in that vehicle is a crime.

The other issue is the 6000lbs towing capacity of the X5 is pretty borderline with what I intend to be towing. That does bring me to another question, I'm reading the max tongue weight on the CD is something like 600lbs but, this may have changed over the years due to legal concerns. 600lbs could be problematic for me to maintain a minimum of 10% of the towing weight on the hitch. Does anyone have any more info on this situation?
I asked about the X5 as I had also considered it but the 6,000 was too low for the 7,000lbs that I need/want to tow.

At least VW had amended the tongue weight some time back to making it 716 lbs and not the 600 lb number that had been erroneously published. VW had to send owners a page that they were instructed to put into their owners manuals back in the day.

I had a 2012 Touareg and it got bought back-this made me so happy as even though I had loved that trucklet and had planned on keeping it a long time, to have gotten it bought back and between all the $$$ VW had thrown at me, and the additional $$$ Porsche stuffed into my pocket, I got the 2016 and could not be happier.

Drive the two vehicles you are considering and see how they run. That will be the only way you will know if either's performance is acceptable to you or not.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:11 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by BenCD
I asked about the X5 as I had also considered it but the 6,000 was too low for the 7,000lbs that I need/want to tow.

At least VW had amended the tongue weight some time back to making it 716 lbs and not the 600 lb number that had been erroneously published. VW had to send owners a page that they were instructed to put into their owners manuals back in the day.

I had a 2012 Touareg and it got bought back-this made me so happy as even though I had loved that trucklet and had planned on keeping it a long time, to have gotten it bought back and between all the $$$ VW had thrown at me, and the additional $$$ Porsche stuffed into my pocket, I got the 2016 and could not be happier.

Drive the two vehicles you are considering and see how they run. That will be the only way you will know if either's performance is acceptable to you or not.
I'm scheduled to drive them tomorrow AM. Good to know on the tongue weight revision, that makes me feel better about being able to get the proper tongue weight. When I was speed reading through the various threads it sounded like they originally said 716lbs and then dropped it to 600lbs but, you are saying it went the other way, right? They actually increased it?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:04 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Yes, others, not long ago, had looked, as it is not easy to find, but had found that the actual tongue weight is 716 and not the 600 lbs.

I had read that the tongue weight when the Touareg/Cayenne had first come out, was 716 lbs, then for some reason they had dropped it to 600 lbs, then when customers had questioned it, VAG had admitted the mistake and raised it back to what it was and have kept it there ever since.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Go for the 2015 if you can, there are numerous little updates that are appealing, at least to me.. standard HID (and optional LED) headlights, updated nose & tail, updated steering wheel, LED interior lighting, etc...
Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I agree, the 2015 looks so much better both front and back. I would not have bought a 2013-2014 or any of the other generations as they all looked terrible to me.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ first time I disagree with Ben
Old 05-19-2018, 08:44 AM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently got a 2015 CD to two.
Previously had a X5D in the family.

Really like the Porsche quality over BMW...

Lots of things I like... to be clear overall i am very happy!

Negative observations.
Unless in sport mode it hold a high gear too long around a corner, you press the gas coming around a 90 degree turn in the city and it hesitates to go. im talking regular driving, not sprinted.
Feels like its dragging, parking brake is on, does not want to roll... I only feel this when you have recently driven another suv or car. Like if I drive the wife's X3 and get in the CD it feels like the parking brake is on. After a bit you get use to it.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:48 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Car dealers.... Drive an hour and a half to a scheduled test drive to find the car sitting on a lift getting the fix applied. I guess it would have killed the environment to drive it 5 more miles before doing the recall.

Anyway I did drive the 13 they had and I do like the diesel. It's about what I expected. It doesn't feel as peppy as the one in my E70 but, to be fair the diesel in the F15 X5 doesn't feel the same either. It was considerably quieter than I remember my X5 being.

It seemed like the sales person was being deliberately vague about warranties so, maybe you guys can shed some light on this. When I asked if it was CPOd he told me "All diesels have an extended warranty", to which I asked "Is that the same coverage as CPO or is it just on the powertrain" and received " Well, it's a warranty, I'll have to check on the details" for a response. But there was no checking on the details, not even while holding us hostage for an hour to get pricing. So my search continues.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

The 2013? Please don't confuse the extended courtesy 2 years warranty with CPO. It is better because you are getting an extension of the original new warranty, which includes fixing any rattles. A CPO warranty does not include fixing those cosmetic issues. The only document we got from Porsche was a letter. Maybe the prior owner kept it with the manuals?

After the fix is performed, you get the 10 years drivetrain warranty. So there may be a period when both the extended courtesy warranty and the fix warranty covers.

This is historical because Porsche offered the courtesy extension of the new warranty right after the VW group acknowledged they put a cheating software. The 10 years powertrain warranty is part of the lawsuit settlement that came last year and only applies if a fix is done. So, if an owner decides not to do the fix, he only gets the two years extension.

Also, let's assume the dealer is willing to certify the CD and sell you the CD with a CPO. In this case you actually get 8 years of bumper to bumper (last two years not covering cosmetics). Also by doing a CPO, you get unlimited mileage.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We also had an e70 X5D as well as 335D prior to that, and both were considerably noisier than Cayenne. Cayenne drives smoother and 8 speed transmission is definitely changes gears more seamlessly than 7 speed unit in X5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014-15 Cayenne D questions