Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Can dealer simply snatch your allocation once you are in V200 stage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:36 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default OT: Can dealer simply ****** your allocation once you are in V200 stage?

This is a hypothetical assumption.

Say that you got a GT car allocation at MSRP at a dealership in NY who cares about local business and etc.

You are in V200 status and in PCNA system with your name.

While the car is being built, you find out that your job wants you to move to a different state. (for example Montana with 0% sales tax)

Can your dealership take away your allocation because you won't be a local customer? Or once you have V200 with comm #, are you pretty much safe?

Can you still register vehicle under Montana so you don't have to pay ridiculous 8% NY sales tax?

Thank you.

PS - I'm not moving.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some dealerships will absolutely not sell to Montana LLC’s. Get one in Oregon.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:41 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by forhamilton
Not Montana LLC but physically moving to Montana.

Yep, I am personally contemplating about this Montana LLC and weighing risks and benefits but this is if the person is actually moving to Montana. or for argument's sake, New Hampshire.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:50 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Wouldn’t it depend on the contract (agreement to purchase the car) you have with the dealer and the terms of the contract and not the order status.

Why not just talk with the dealer and tell them what you plan to do re registering the car in MT.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

No, because you'll be the 100% owner of the LLC and can present that document to the dealership. It's just how you'll take title to the car. I registered my new GT3 through my MT LLC and was even able to get financing from Porsche Financial for it being the guarantor on the loan.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton
i dont have a MTLLC but for a business not to sell to an out of state LLC is strange.
if i ran a business, you pay, i sell. i couldnt care less where your money come from dirty or clean. money is money.
i am a business not a church.
ala i dont run any business... so what do i know.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,742 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont have a MTLLC but for a business not to sell to an out of state LLC is strange.
if i ran a business, you pay, i sell. i couldnt care less where your money come from dirty or clean. money is money.
i am a business not a church.
ala i dont run any business... so what do i know.
Not strange when there are more buyers than cars.

Yes, it would be strange if a Porsche dealership refused to sell a 718 to a Montana LLC. Strange, and stupid.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:54 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the dealer actually cares about you being a local buyer, they will not care where you register the car, as long as they know you're local (they can see from your DL) and will possibly service the car there, or trade it back to them eventually. They don't care how you title it, they just prefer for you to keep the car in the area, as they're more likely to get additional revenue out of you that way.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

The issue is more corporate as lots of international brokers operate and export.

If you sell to a guy and he exports...you get fined A TON! So, unless a guy is a "known entity"
We are advised to get lots of info. Same thing with taking actual green cash for payment. Liability.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The issue is more corporate as lots of international brokers operate and export.

If you sell to a guy and he exports...you get fined A TON! So, unless a guy is a "known entity"
We are advised to get lots of info. Same thing with taking actual green cash for payment. Liability.
Export is more of a concern for Cayennes than GT cars. I don't think it's relevant in OP's case.

If the dealer knows you, and knows that you're actually a local guy, in theory they shouldn't care where you title and register. They might want to do the registration for you though.

Cash is not an issue as long as properly reported. You have to file form 8300 with the IRS if you receive cash over 10K. So it's not a liability if you do the reporting -- might be more of a PITA just to deal with it than anything else.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend

Say that you got a GT car allocation at MSRP at a dealership in NY who cares about local business and etc.

While the car is being built, you find out that your job wants you to move to a different state. (for example Montana with 0% sales tax)

Can your dealership take away your allocation because you won't be a local customer? Or once you have V200 with comm #, are you pretty much safe?

Can you still register vehicle under Montana so you don't have to pay ridiculous 8% NY sales tax?

Thank you.

PS - I'm not moving.
You don't have to be all that sneaky about this, IMO. The dealer is aware of what you're up to, and knows what's going on and knows the car will end up being be a local car. So, be up front about it with him. They're probably on your side on this issue; but, they have to protect their rear end. All that is to say, your V200 is safe.

You do not have to have the dealer register your car out of state. You may have to do a little negotiating; but, if you ask for it, usually the dealership will, simply, give you a 30 day temporary drive away registration. Which allows you time to work with your out of state LLC set up company to get it going for you.

Some dealers require you take ownership of the car out of state which adds a bit of a complication. With a little imagination, though, you can come up with a work-around.

Keep on it, is my advice. It's worth the effort.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by Ascend

Thank you.

PS - I'm not moving.
You dealer can take away your allocation if you got a bad haircut.

Unless you have special agreement/contract, before you sign your purchase contract, anything is in the air.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chaosoul
You dealer can take away your allocation if you got a bad haircut.

Unless you have special agreement/contract, before you sign your purchase contract, anything is in the air.
Damn!

Yeah I would never do anything shady to my SA. Very nice guy and always appreciate him.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Dealers are paranoid about exporters because corporate can fine them big money if the car goes out of the country. Out of state purchases in low tax states are red flags. Tread lightly or you can lose your allocation.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:09 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Don't all buyers have to sign an agreement to not export, or else buyers will also be fined? Also aren't they put on blacklist as well? For green cash, do you mean physical cash, or do certified checks count as well?

Quick Reply: OT: Can dealer simply snatch your allocation once you are in V200 stage?