Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 PPI Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 981 PPI Advice

Hello all - I've been looking around for a Boxster or Cayman for a few months now and have been debating over a 987.2 S or "Base" 981. While the added hp with an S would be great, the 981 feels more updated all around. Given the vehicle will be a daily driver, I think the trade off is worth it.

That being said, the car I am interested in is a 2014 Cayman with just under 13,000 miles. The car has been serviced here locally according to Carfax and still has an extended warranty through Jan. '19. The Carfax did note some damage to the front of the vehicle last year, but I've located the shop that performed the repair and the dealer is reaching out to them for background on how extensive the damage was. Apparently the shop is who the local Porsche dealer sends their vehicles to.

Assuming the overall damage was minor, would you still recommend a pre-purchase inspection if the car is still under warranty? Also, what level of previous damage to the vehicle would cause you to walk away?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Avoid damaged p-cars like that, there's simply too many used and fully correct cars out there to settle for less. Even if they say it's "minor", you just don't know. Total conflict of interest.

Having gone through the process myself, the true full PPI is totally worth it for peace of mind. Look at the DME report, overrev ranges, and of course any other sign of unreported damage/repair.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

So even if I obtain the damage report from the repair shop that’s an authorized Porsche repair facility and it shows minor damage, you would avoid it?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam07
So even if I obtain the damage report from the repair shop that’s an authorized Porsche repair facility and it shows minor damage, you would avoid it?
You are assuming that the damage reported was the only damage that car sustained. You would be surprised how many damaged and repaired vehicles never appear that way on Carfax reports. I would insist on a pre-purchase inspection. And even if you do buy that car, pay less for it due to its tainted history. It’s worth less.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam07
Assuming the overall damage was minor, would you still recommend a pre-purchase inspection if the car is still under warranty? Also, what level of previous damage to the vehicle would cause you to walk away?Thanks!
For a few hundred dollars, why would you not have a thorough PPI done by a Porsche expert on an automobile that will cost north of $40,000.00?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:26 AM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Cam07: You should absolutely have a PPI done even if the car is still under CPO warranty. The CPO status simply certifies that Porsche will be on the hook for major mechanical issues, but it doesn't insulate you from buying a problem car. It's totally possible for you to pick up a CPO car only to spend every two weeks back at the dealer because a previous owner didn't care for it.

Quick Reply: 981 PPI Advice