Sponsored by:

I smell a rat....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default I smell a rat....

Pretty much everything about this little incident is odd so of course I thought I should share it here!

A while back I discovered that the front lift on my 2014 991.1 GT3 wasn’t working properly. The pump was operating, although noisier than usual, but after a couple of cycles where the front end lifted slowly, it stopped lifting altogether. No big deal, I figured, the car is under warranty.

So I take it in to the dealer for repair. The next day I get a call from my service advisor. The bad news: the problem is that a rodent has chewed through the rigid plastic line between the pump and the accumulator. (Apparently there was enough pressure in the accumulator to lift the front end a couple of times before the system failed completely). The really bad news: Porsche offers no replacement part for the line, the damage is obviously not covered by warranty, and per Porsche spec if I want them to fix the problem they have to replace the entire assembly! Then the really, really bad news: the cost of the part would be $10,481.43 + $600 labor!! (With my PCA discount, only $9433 for the part alone. )

Long story short, I put in a claim to my insurance and they paid for the repair including an extra $1054 for air freight shipping to avoid the 4 week+ wait for the part to get here by the slow boat from Stuttgart. I was only out my deductible. FWIW, my SA thinks that I could get the line repaired by an independent shop (or do it myself) and resell the lift assembly for some multiple of what this episode cost me. I might do that or keep it as a spare just in case. Just thinking about all this, if someone had looked at a schematic of the entire car and picked a single hose or wire to cut I’m not sure they could have caused a more costly outcome. The rodent chose well….

As an aside, the question has come up as to how much the lift assembly weighs. By my measurement: 17 pounds.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Pretty much everything about this little incident is odd so of course I thought I should share it here!

A while back I discovered that the front lift on my 2014 991.1 GT3 wasn’t working properly. The pump was operating, although noisier than usual, but after a couple of cycles where the front end lifted slowly, it stopped lifting altogether. No big deal, I figured, the car is under warranty.

So I take it in to the dealer for repair. The next day I get a call from my service advisor. The bad news: the problem is that a rodent has chewed through the rigid plastic line between the pump and the accumulator. (Apparently there was enough pressure in the accumulator to lift the front end a couple of times before the system failed completely). The really bad news: Porsche offers no replacement part for the line, the damage is obviously not covered by warranty, and per Porsche spec if I want them to fix the problem they have to replace the entire assembly! Then the really, really bad news: the cost of the part would be $10,481.43 + $600 labor!! (With my PCA discount, only $9433 for the part alone. )

Long story short, I put in a claim to my insurance and they paid for the repair including an extra $1054 for air freight shipping to avoid the 4 week+ wait for the part to get here by the slow boat from Stuttgart. I was only out my deductible. FWIW, my SA thinks that I could get the line repaired by an independent shop (or do it myself) and resell the lift assembly for some multiple of what this episode cost me. I might do that or keep it as a spare just in case. Just thinking about all this, if someone had looked at a schematic of the entire car and picked a single hose or wire to cut I’m not sure they could have caused a more costly outcome. The rodent chose well….

As an aside, the question has come up as to how much the lift assembly weighs. By my measurement: 17 pounds.

RATS!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rats are smart they say. Did you **** one off? Going to hardware store again to purchase new traps. They use to enjoy eating my 930
Old 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Braided ss line for the win/fix
Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Rats are smart they say. Did you **** one off? Going to hardware store again to purchase new traps. They use to enjoy eating my 930
lol. Well, I don't think so but he obviously was holding a grudge!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

That is brutal. Glad you got it sorted through insurance. I have mice counter measure all over my garage, but I still feel uneasy about the bastards.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow - that is a massive accumulator, about triple the 100 cu ft bail out bottle we use in SCUBA.

If you decide to repair, perhaps consider sending it to Lonnie at the Hoseman. The Irwindale shop is right near the track and they are comfortable with odd and different hydraulics.
http://www.hose-man.com/contactinformation.html

Helped me out a while back with the Citroen 2300 psi LHM system for brake/ancilliaries used in my Maserati Bora - Twin cross mounted mutually exclusive braking accumulators, pressure reg lines, etc. The system ended up being superior to OEM with modern materials

Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. that's incredible. People who don't want the FAL in their cars should spec it anyway for an easy 4x return!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:15 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

GET A CAT!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:25 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow over 10 grand for a little supply line? Makes you wonder what else is like that. I don't mind "paying to play" but that's absolute insanity.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the Pump Assembly part number Mike? I looked it up and it shows as discontinued. The compressor lists at $1,900 alone. Is it the pressure line that was chewed through? Blows my mind that the replacement assembly is $10,000 plus while the 2014 option was $3,490.

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 04-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Wow - that is a massive accumulator, about triple the 100 cu ft bail out bottle we use in SCUBA.

If you decide to repair, perhaps consider sending it to Lonnie at the Hoseman. The Irwindale shop is right near the track and they are comfortable with odd and different hydraulics.
http://www.hose-man.com/contactinformation.html

Helped me out a while back with the Citroen 2300 psi LHM system for brake/ancilliaries used in my Maserati Bora - Twin cross mounted mutually exclusive braking accumulators, pressure reg lines, etc. The system ended up being superior to OEM with modern materials
Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Wow over 10 grand for a little supply line? Makes you wonder what else is like that. I don't mind "paying to play" but that's absolute insanity.
The pump/accumulator is provided to Porsche by an outside supplier (a German company named Wabco) as a complete unit, so anything that fails requires a replacement of the entire assembly. I don't disagree.....having to pay $10K because of damage to a glorified hose IS insane.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
What's the Pump Assembly part number Mike? I looked it up and it shows as discontinued. Blows my mind that the replacement assembly is $10,000 plus while the 2014 option was $3,490.
Hi Mathew. The Porsche part # listed on my invoice is 991-341-263-98 for the new unit. However, the number on the old part is 991-341-263-90. Whether a typo or a superseding part/part #, I don't know.

Excellent point about the cost of the part relative to the original option and something which I pointed out to the service manager. Not that it made any difference....
Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default The Ferrari Deal ... is worse

Originally Posted by StudGarden
There is a thread on FerrariChat about an F1 Superfast transmission hydraulic accumulator, actuator and line costing $18,000 (2012 prices) which took $10,000 labor/supplies to R&R.
Feel better, ... almost like you got a deal?

sorry this happened to you
Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Perimeter
There is a thread on FerrariChat about an F1 Superfast transmission hydraulic accumulator, actuator and line costing $18,000 (2012 prices) which took $10,000 labor/supplies to R&R.
Feel better, ... almost like you got a deal?

sorry this happened to you
Thanks, and maybe just a tiny bit better.

Quick Reply: I smell a rat....