Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Standard Interior

Old 03-22-2018, 02:44 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts
Default GT3 Standard Interior

Anyone have or order the standard interior? I'm curious how it looks and anybody's thoughts after living with it for a while or seeing it in person. I'm working on an interesting possibility right now, but the car was ordered without the leather interior package.

On the configurator, it looks like deviated stitching is on the buckets, doors, gear shift boot and steering wheel, but obviously not on the plastic dash. Also, the glove box is not alcantara but plastic like the dash.
And it looks like the doors have no trim? Very odd, but confirmed with the description from Porsche below.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Here's the description of Standard Interior in Leather/Alcantara in Black from the configurator...
"In black leather: seat bolsters, headrests, and steering wheel airbag module.
In black Alcantara®: seat centers, steering wheel rim, PDK gear selector grip moldings, door pulls, door panel armrests, center console main storage compartment lid armrest, transmission tunnel trim in rear, and roof lining including C-pillars.
Other interior finishes: stitching and embroidered ‘GT3’ logos in Platinum Grey.
Selected interior parts in brushed aluminium: dashboard trim strips and center console trim.
Selected interior parts in high-gloss silver color: air vent surrounds in dashboard, glove compartment release, door pull trims, door release levers"

Quick aside... While playing around a bit I now see that Brushed Aluminum Interior Package in Anthracite is available for non-Tourings. Wasn't this only for Touring builds in the past?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I checked the Anthracite box on my winged GT3 last summer.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

I like an all black interior. I have the standard, with the free black leather options. Do I like it? Absolutely.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

^^^Very smart of you to go with the free leather trim option. Clean. Not a fan of the light brushed aluminum trim. Looks cheap AF, but hopefully better in person. And even worse, they didn't even put it on the doors. Who would spec a car like that is beyond me. Perhaps there's a rationale that I'm missing... but it feels like a car spec'd without leather interior package AND no trim option selected was either an error by Porsche or by the dealer when inputting the order...

I see it's about $1400 on Suncoast to do the dash and center console in leather. Oddly enough, door trim is unavailable in any material.

Thanks. You gave me a great idea to just replace the brushed aluminum with the leather and be done. Simple and elegant.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 03-22-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Palting
I like an all black interior. I have the standard, with the free black leather options. Do I like it? Absolutely.
So it looks like your doors don't have the leather trim, is that correct? I'm just hoping that the configurator is wrong. Can't figure out how they could ever build a car with no trim on the doors as standard.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I have no optional leather on my Touring, and could not be happier with the base interior.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:59 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris88
I have no optional leather on my Touring, and could not be happier with the base interior.
The Touring is cohesive and elegant (leather not necessary for sure) with the anthracite trim throughout, and no deviated stitching. On the standard GT3 you get alternating trim, and some bits with deviated stitching and others without. Makes no sense. Wish they just skipped any deviated stitching.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
So it looks like your doors don't have the leather trim, is that correct? I'm just hoping that the configurator is wrong. Can't figure out how they could ever build a car with no trim on the doors as standard.
I'm at the office currently, so I'll take a closer look at which is alcantara, which is plastic, and which is leather. In the meantime,here is a photo of the actual interior. I have a GT silver car, so the stitching, etc, is not "deviated", LOL

Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally would never buy a 100k+ car with a plastic dash. It looks cheap and terrible to me. The line on the dash just looks like an afterthought without stitching. Also the doors feel cheap without alcantara and leather.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:29 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

My winged GT3 is spec'd with standard interior & I have the standard interior on my .2 C4

I like pros of the standard interior more than the cons *personally*

Pros: I don't worry about scratching or marking the leather in the car, or protecting the leather dash from the sun, or protecting the door leather from lotions, nicks, rain, etc... Any issues with the vinyl, take a damp rag and it's gone. Just feels lower maintenance and more durable/more "OCD" proof (dare I say idiot proof in my case) to me.

Cons: The only parts I really don't like is the fact that the A-pillar is vinyl (so the alcantara on the interior of the roof ends prematurely) and that the interior trim (I opted for CF) does not extend to the doors. I ordered alcantara A-pillar covers from Suncoast to address the first issue which was around $440 I want to say for the set, and I got over the fact that the trim doesn't extend to the doors since it doesn't wrap around through the rear area anyways regardless of leather or not.

I think more definitely order leather than standard interior, but with how high the MSRPs are of the .2 and how $20k+ in options is becoming the norm, leather wasn't a high priority for me and got the axe. But PCCB/LED/Bose were a must for me, so there was give and take
Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
My winged GT3 is spec'd with standard interior & I have the standard interior on my .2 C4

I like pros of the standard interior more than the cons *personally*

Pros: I don't worry about scratching or marking the leather in the car, or protecting the leather dash from the sun, or protecting the door leather from lotions, nicks, rain, etc... Any issues with the vinyl, take a damp rag and it's gone. Just feels lower maintenance and more durable/more "OCD" proof (dare I say idiot proof in my case) to me.

Cons: The only parts I really don't like is the fact that the A-pillar is vinyl (so the alcantara on the interior of the roof ends prematurely) and that the interior trim (I opted for CF) does not extend to the doors. I ordered alcantara A-pillar covers from Suncoast to address the first issue which was around $440 I want to say for the set, and I got over the fact that the trim doesn't extend to the doors since it doesn't wrap around through the rear area anyways regardless of leather or not.

I think more definitely order leather than standard interior, but with how high the MSRPs are of the .2 and how $20k+ in options is becoming the norm, leather wasn't a high priority for me and got the axe. But PCCB/LED/Bose were a must for me, so there was give and take
Good summary. Low maintenance. I had it on my C2S and just didn't like the look of no leather because the plastic pattern on Porsches is much cheaper looking that most cars I've owned and the door without the trip looks like one big hunk of black plastic.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:42 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Good summary. Low maintenance. I had it on my C2S and just didn't like the look of no leather because the plastic pattern on Porsches is much cheaper looking that most cars I've owned and the door without the trip looks like one big hunk of black plastic.
Totally, agree with you that the vinyl is not as nice looking or feeling as the leather interior on the 991 and I wish Porsche could have found a more premium feeling/looking standard interior. Maybe more of a middle ground, but that is how they can get away with charging for leather which should be standard on all 911s.

At the end of the day for me I just wanted lower maintenance if possible as mine will be daily driven and I'm too lazy to keep leather looking nice. It looks worn/tired in my Tesla because I don't take the time to treat it or do anything to it. I also had a bad experience using a leather cleaner in an older SUV maybe 5 years ago that made the interior feel like a shiny slip and slide after and never returned to how it looked/felt brand new. If it's more of a weekend car or track car then I would have considered leather more..

According to a classified ad on here of an 911R spec'd with the help of Andreas Preuninger, he prefers the standard interior (at least for achieving "lightness" LOL)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:55 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny that what looks "cheap and terrible" to one person looks perfectly fine to someone else. I have the standard interior, and I, personally, think it's a waste of money to spend a lot on interior options that enhance neither the performance nor driving experience, for what is essentially a track weapon. But to each his own. I can't wait to go home and take my "cheap and terrible" looking $150k+ car for a spin.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
Funny that what looks "cheap and terrible" to one person looks perfectly fine to someone else. I have the standard interior, and I, personally, think it's a waste of money to spend a lot on interior options that enhance neither the performance nor driving experience, for what is essentially a track weapon. But to each his own. I can't wait to go home and take my "cheap and terrible" looking $150k+ car for a spin.
I would never call anything about these cars cheap and terrible. I have seen some specs that i would probably do differently if it were my money, but put me behind any spec’d GT3 past or present and i would have a big grin on my face the entire time.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess it goes both ways. Some don't see the point of the extras on a track car (LED's, leather everything, BOSE) while others can't imagine a 150k car not having those things. Good to have choices. Pick what works best for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Standard Interior