Notices

Investment discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Investment discussion

Lots of savvy folks here, interested in hearing your ideas and counterpoints.

How many of you use your home equity to borrow (tax deductible) for investments? I don't mean the occasional use of a HELOC, more of a deliberate and organized leverage play vs. owning a home 100% debt-free.

Why or why not? And what types of investments do you believe have a worthwhile spread at very low risk - if such a thing even exists.

Always interested to learn from others.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Lending out for mortgage at 8-10% while paying around 3.5 on heloc makes dollars and sense to me. 70% LTV guaranteed by good individual reduces the risk to very low. Housing market could crash and have to go after home owner.
pm me if you are interested in doing same.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:49 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

And what types of investments do you believe have a worthwhile spread at very low risk - if such a thing even exists.
Simply doesn't exist IMHO.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Makes good sense, if you buy good quality stocks and investments. I do mortgages and 8-9% is what I have consistantly done.( its a difficult concept to understand for most but it really makes sense if you look at it for what it is,). Toronto market is more volatile so Im not sure if I would want to be there with interest rates only heading up and having been so low for so long. That being said if the market tanks your value goes down where as the house price has to drop 20-30% depending on exposure before you start losing any money. That cannot be said about the market. But yes 20 years ago I took out a 60k heloc and now its over 8x with conservative financial blue chips mainly. Even getting a 30k sting by nortel. I only look at it occasionally as I am in for the long term and look at a correction as a sale and reinvest profite when it happens. The blip in january had no reason to occur other than some greedy profit taking......I bought heavily when that happend with my earnings. Dont sink it all in at once 25% in 4x over a year or 2 is a good strategy to start with little risk. I always have cash a cash reserve for those sale days. Just my .02
Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been using that strategy (along with the Smith Manoeuvre) for almost a decade but I pulled my cash back out of the market last year. Overall I don't think it was really worth the risk.

The obvious challenge is making enough money on the stock market to cover the interest. This was pretty easy for the past few years since interest rates were extremely low and the returns have been relatively high, but because the net gain is low all it takes is one or two years with a negative return to erase many years of gains. On the bright side you can deduct the interest on your federal taxes which helps.

There is a good forum called "Canadian Money Forum" where this has been discussed in the past. It might be worth posting the question there.

My only tip is that if you are planning on deducting the interest, try to make the paper trail as clean as possible. For example use a separate investment account that only holds the stocks or ETFs that were purchased with the borrowed money and ideally use a separate loan account for the mortgage. That makes it much simpler to explain if you ever get questioned by the CRA.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:23 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Lots of securities on sale today both here and south of the border.

I suspect this sale could last a tad longer given the time of year and ongoing circus down south.

Focus on after tax returns as well to make it worth the risk.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:22 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Markets balance risk and returns. Most don't perceive/understand risks but basically the more ya make the more ya risk. With interest rates on the rise this is a particularly dangerous time. Find a qualified (MBA plus years of experience) fee based investment advisor and ignore anyone who makes commission. Good luck.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 03-23-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:53 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Markets balance risk and returns. Most don't perceive/understand risks but basically the more ya make the more ya risk. With interest rates on the rise this is a particularly dangerous time. Find a qualified (MBA plus years of experience) commission based investment advisor and ignore anyone who makes commission. Good luck.
Agreed. IMO most people should have a portion of their portfolios in risk-free fixed income—be that a GIC or government bond ladder, bond fund, etc. Given that, and the fact that you're not going to get the same return on those that you'll pay on your mortgage, the best risk-free rate you'll get is by paying off mortgage. Yes, there are obviously higher returns to be had—by taking on more risk. From the research I've done though, the most efficient way to do that is on the equities side of the portfolio. So if you want to increase risk and expected return, the way to do it would be to weight more toward equities, or to tilt the equities toward other risk factors, like small/value. Trying to eek our additional return on the 'safe' side is generally going to be counter-productive, or at least not advantageous compared to taking on equivalent additional risk through equities.

An exception would be scenarios where a person wants to essentially leverage beyond 100% equities—perhaps appropriate for someone in their 20s, or who has a DB pension that will cover all expenses and is making the choice to attempt to maximize additional funds, at the risk of ending up with less. In those cases, since no risk-free assets would be held, it may make sense to keep a mortgage in order to increase holding in equities.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I think we are at a very dangerous time and risk a severe recession for which indebted Canadians are poorly prepared. Time for caution.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

I feel that number 1 is paying off your own debt.
After doing that, why would you borrow against your house on anything that had risk?
You know what they say about the quickest way to double your money ....
Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
I think we are at a very dangerous time and risk a severe recession for which indebted Canadians are poorly prepared. Time for caution.
I'm not sure about severe, but certainly agree we are heading in the wrong and opposite direction of the US. Time for caution for sure.

A national carbon tax will be an insane drag on the economy and make us even less competitive. Fortunately, our interest rates will likely remain quite low giving folks some space to reduce debt. Our dollar is heading down compared to the US$. We just paid off all our US$ debt.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:00 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I'm not sure about severe, but certainly agree we are heading in the wrong and opposite direction of the US. Time for caution for sure.
This.

Between our oil woes and Justin's preoccupation with selfies I'd say we're in trouble.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:02 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Find a qualified (MBA plus years of experience) commission based investment advisor and ignore anyone who makes commission. Good luck.
First find him then ignore him?
Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Always an interesting topic....

As I have explained to my financial advisor, if I make an extra $50k on investments this year, my life will be unchanged. I wouldn't even think about it. If I lost $1k, I would be really upset. This is my issue and I am very risk averse.

That being said, by age 36, I had my Toronto home and Kawartha 90 minutes from 401/404 cottage paid off. I am a dink. Nonetheless, wife and I worked really hard.

I think the key to financial success is quite simple. Do not finance depreciating assets. Corollary is to pay your debt as soon as possible. Pay cash for everything. I have never financed a car, a boat or any of my toys.

My first world problem is promised myself a 911.....and there is no inventory! (my own fault, too picky).
Old 03-23-2018, 04:51 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
First find him then ignore him?
Nice catch! Use fee based advisor, ignore commissioned salesmen..............sorry....salesperson!

Quick Reply: Investment discussion