Sponsored by:

Introduction: WReiter

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM
WReiter
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Introduction: WReiter

I just got my first 964. I have owned few Porsche's over the years (73.5 911T, 84 944, 88 911 Targa) and I have been a Rennlist member and up-until-now forum frequenter for my '88 Targa. I decided to transition from the targa to a coupe after only a year because I drive pretty frequently on the freeway and the targa just had too much wind noise in the cockpit (AND, I have always preferred the look of the coupes). I bought a white '89 C4 with 156K that Brian at Einmalig owned and redid, and about which I got the full history from him -- original SoCal car purchased new by a chiropractor and serviced by Brian; Brian eventually bought the car from the orginal owner for himself and redid everything (rebuilt engine, refurb'ed tranny, a lot of cosmetic work) with NOS parts to his satisfaction; Brian then sold the car to a couple of customers of his --brothers who are quasi collectors; and I bought the car from them after they had only put approx. 1500 miles on the car over a few years. Brian told me that this particular engine is one of the best/strongest that his shop ever built in stock configuration and recommended NOT chipping it. I would consider a dyno-tune--I wouldn't think there was anything to worry about with that (maybe I'll post a thread to get some thoughts on that.

Initial impressions v. '88 targa: MUCH less (almost none) wind noise on the highway, engine doesn't spin up as quickly as the '88 but there is certainly more power and it definitely has a "gruntier" sound. Shifter/shifting action a good deal heavier with the C4; steering heavier, but there is so much more grip (and the sport seats help when exploiting that grip); heating and AC much better.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful C4. Welcome to the club. I also went from a Targa to Coupe. I miss that soft top on really beautiful days, but the majority of the time I appreciate how much quieter the coupe is.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks super clean for the mileage. Congrats
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a great car.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats, looks like a good example!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats on the new Porsche!

I’m a big fan of the sports seats, huge plus.

Hard to believe it has 150k miles, it looks great!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 PM
WReiter
Advanced

Thanks for the kind words. The condition, along with the known history, was definitely a big deal for me. Is it my imagination, or are the rear wheel flairs a hair more pronounce/aggressive on the previous generation?
Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 PM
dbrennlist
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool ride. Love the sunroof. Not too big a leap from the Targa, after all...
I see no airbags, but Cup mirrors. I believe is an EU specifications, right?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Beautiful condition! The not chipping note is somewhat odd, though there are chips that are way too aggressive on the market. I’m a big fan of Steve Wong’s tunes. I think that you’ll find his chip will make up for some of the laziness in the revs compared to the 3.2. Enjoy!

No airbag is standard for all of the ‘89 C4 models. Aero mirrors would have been added by a previous owner.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 PM
WReiter
Advanced

Originally Posted by -nick
Beautiful condition! The not chipping note is somewhat odd, though there are chips that are way too aggressive on the market. I’m a big fan of Steve Wong’s tunes. I think that you’ll find his chip will make up for some of the laziness in the revs compared to the 3.2. Enjoy!

No airbag is standard for all of the ‘89 C4 models. Aero mirrors would have been added by a previous owner.
Yes, I don't think that the car is Euro-spec. It does have the 900 option code -- Accession of Car at Factory--but that doesn't have anything to do with configuration. As for the chipping, I don't know why Brian would recommend not to chip it. I thought that perhaps the build wasn't ENTIRELY stock, although Brian told me it was. That's why I was thinking that a tune may be a safer bet than a standard Wong chip. I would love to get some thoughts on that. Maybe I should just call Steve?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the white, it was my first choice but after months of searching I realized I couldn't be picky about the color and was more interested in finding a low mile car with no accidents in stock condition. The sports seats are an amazing bonus. As others have noted, the comment about the motor not needing a chip is strange, I'd definitely ask why. There's not much any mechanic can do when rebuilding a motor in stock form to make any different or stronger than any other 3.6L and the Wong chip is a great addition that's proven reliable for many years and thousands of owners.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM
WReiter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Love the white, it was my first choice but after months of searching I realized I couldn't be picky about the color and was more interested in finding a low mile car with no accidents in stock condition. The sports seats are an amazing bonus. As others have noted, the comment about the motor not needing a chip is strange, I'd definitely ask why. There's not much any mechanic can do when rebuilding a motor in stock form to make any different or stronger than any other 3.6L and the Wong chip is a great addition that's proven reliable for many years and thousands of owners.
My thoughts were that IF Brian rebuilt the motor to other-than-stock specs, it might be a better idea to dyno-tune, rather than standard Wong chip. I will call Steve and report back!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome to the group! Great looking car.

Quick Reply: Introduction: WReiter