Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping Question (Determining Vessel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shipping Question (Determining Vessel)

According to the Porsche Sales and Vehicle Management System printout that my sales person sent me, my car entered the port at Emden on March 8. It is expected to exit the port on March 30 and arrive in Davisville on April 13.

With this information, I went to the VW Export Schedule web page, http://www.pwl.de/en/services/liner/roro (Schedule Export), and downloaded the list of vessels and their schedules which is attached below.

As you can see, none of the vessels matches up with the dates on the Porsche schedule. The Viking Queen seems like the best fit but it is pretty far off the Porsche schedule. It leaves three days too early and is expected to arrive in Davisville four days before the Porsche schedule's date.

So my question -- at long last -- is which ship will my car be on?

Last edited by FI Flyer; 03-10-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:58 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

From my previous experience, it could be on the next ship as early as one week after production... or sit and wait... wait... wait for space on a ship.

In any case, your dealer should be able to tell you the exact ship.

But I've also noted that Porsche likes to give a timeline with LOTS of buffer for each stage of the process.

In my current ordered "T" it is already a couple of weeks ahead of the original schedule. If all stars align, it looks like I could get it almost a month before schedule.

For example, in my current schedule it shows almost 4 weeks for the ship to arrive. According to the VW schedule, it takes 3 weeks to Houston.

From there, the schedule shows another 3 weeks to clear port and make it to the dealer. My last Macan took 24 hours from the ship docking in Houston until I was driving it!!!

My car is supposed to finish production on 3/19. If it makes it to the Goodwood or Viking King, I could have it almost a month before schedule. Fingers (and toes) crossed...
Old 03-10-2018, 10:41 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Thank you -- and good luck with your new car.

It looks like the same boats go to Davisville as to Houston so we may literally be in the same boat. It looks like there are enough possible options that there is no way of knowing which one will be the one.

I had hoped not to be calling my salesperson every few days for updates but there may be no alternative (except, of course, for patience.)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:50 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
From my previous experience, it could be on the next ship as early as one week after production... or sit and wait... wait... wait for space on a ship.

In any case, your dealer should be able to tell you the exact ship.

But I've also noted that Porsche likes to give a timeline with LOTS of buffer for each stage of the process.

In my current ordered "T" it is already a couple of weeks ahead of the original schedule. If all stars align, it looks like I could get it almost a month before schedule.

For example, in my current schedule it shows almost 4 weeks for the ship to arrive. According to the VW schedule, it takes 3 weeks to Houston.

From there, the schedule shows another 3 weeks to clear port and make it to the dealer. My last Macan took 24 hours from the ship docking in Houston until I was driving it!!!

My car is supposed to finish production on 3/19. If it makes it to the Goodwood or Viking King, I could have it almost a month before schedule. Fingers (and toes) crossed...
My car exited production 1/19 and arrived Houston 2/27.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

First off all the dates in the Porsche system are always a Friday. That is not an exact date it just means they expect that action to take place the week leading up to that Friday. Saying you are 3-4 days off the Porsche schedule doesn't really mean anything.
Those dates in the Porsche system are just estimates anyways when it comes to shipping. They aren't really cross referencing the shipping schedules at the time those dates are populated.
I was following the ships pretty closely and what others were saying about how long their car sat in port the last few months as I was waiting for mine. Pretty much everyone was getting on the next ship after their car got to the port.
If your car arrived in the Port March 8 I would expect it will be on the Athens Highway departing there on March 19. In fact if you could see the schedule before this one if there was a boat leaving between March 8 and March 19 that was leaving for DVV you could very possibly be on that one.
As soon as the boat left port my dealer was able to confirm mine was on it.
My car Sat in the port in Jax for about 3 days before it was ready for shipment and then showed up at the dealer 3 days after that. Once your car is at Emden pretty much disregard all remaining dates on the tracking system printout. They are all pretty meaningless after that.
Good luck getting it soon. Keep us updated.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Of course, I wish that I had the prior ship schedule to the one that I posted. It seems likely that there will be a Davisville-bound ship leaving between March 8 and March 19. But unless my salesperson has more specific news, I will be paying very close attention to the gallant Athens Highway.

If anyone reading this has the schedule for weeks 8/2018 or 9/2018, if you could post it or, at least, let me know which Davisville-bound ships are leaving next week, I'd be very grateful.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:01 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

Here’s the RoRo for week 9. Al the comments above are spot on. I’d bet that your car will be on the Athens Highway leaving later this week. Good luck.

DaveGee
Old 03-11-2018, 02:19 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Of course, I wish that I had the prior ship schedule to the one that I posted. It seems likely that there will be a Davisville-bound ship leaving between March 8 and March 19. But unless my salesperson has more specific news, I will be paying very close attention to the gallant Athens Highway.

If anyone reading this has the schedule for weeks 8/2018 or 9/2018, if you could post it or, at least, let me know which Davisville-bound ships are leaving next week, I'd be very grateful.
Go to marinetraffic.com about when the Athens Highway is supposed to leave. Once you see it leave call your SA. He should be able to confirm if it is on the boat.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:36 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Again, thanks.

This place is amazing!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee

Here’s the RoRo for week 9. Al the comments above are spot on. I’d bet that your car will be on the Athens Highway leaving later this week. Good luck.

DaveGee
I am hopeful that my car is on that ship, too!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:27 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

So we have two, and possibly three, cars from this forum which may be traveling together in the same ship. Remarkable.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

Looks like I’m on the Taurus Leader which left Emden 3/8, and Southampton today. Projected date into San Diego is 4/6.

DaveGee
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

I am just waiting for the heads-up from my SA that my car has been loaded on the boat! Keeping my fingers crossed...my car was out of production as of March 7th...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Hopefully this will be my car next week:

Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Ugh, Athens Highway (if that is indeed the ship my car will be put on) has been delayed 3 days. Now showing departure from Emden on 19/20 March, arrival in Davisville on 30 March.

Quick Reply: Shipping Question (Determining Vessel)