Sponsored by:

Wobble at Highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:00 PM
DMRL
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble at Highway speeds

I have a 01' 996 carrera with 57K / 6 speed. Noticed the other day that while at speed, if I hit a bump, the car will wobble (steering wheel and feel it in the seat of my pants). Not scary, but not awesome either. On an old e34 (had a couple) this was a lower control arm bushing and a cheap and easy fix. BMA Auto Parts sold the arms with all the new bushing pressed in for @ 150 bucks.

Is there a similar 996 issue/fix? As it's a 17 year old car I expect the rubber to start going. Noticed at Pelican parts a lower control arm from OCAP for 91.50 a side. Will this fix the wobble?

BTW - I live on a very bumpy road....no interest in lowering or racing.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

You need to get the car up off the ground and look around. A common issue on these cars are the "tuning fork" arms. Usually they clunk over bumps when they are bad but I guess if they were bad enough they could cause a wobble as they do hold the front wheel caster position in place. These are the angled arms that attach from the body to the lower control arm on all 4 corners of the car. Other stuff could be tie rods, loose wheel lugs, bad wheel bearings (although they'd have to be pretty bad to wobble), bad ball joints, or bad strut top mounts.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Dont forget to check the rear suspension too. I found when the tow was off in the back it would cause a wobble around 70mph on my c2.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 AM
DMRL
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I'm going under the car soon. As the wobble is difficult reproduce....only when I hit a grate at speed on the drivers side....fear the offending bushing(s) won't present itself as bad ....yet.

Quick Reply: Wobble at Highway speeds