Notices

AiM Solo won't pick up S/F line

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AiM Solo won't pick up S/F line

Hello again. Another day, another AiM problem.

I was at Auto Club Speedway yesterday, and my AiM Solo did not pick up the SF line and therefore never gave me any lap times.
The system recognized that I was at California Speedway (the track's old name) and I selected it and got the timing counter display. However, the timing never started after I crossed the S/F line.
I started from the cold pits, so I wonder if that was the problem. However, everyone starts from the cold pits (pre grid), so is anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?

My EVO4 data logger, which I was also using, did pick up the S/F and gave lap times.

My SmartyCam, which I just got back from the manufacturer after the problems I had previously posted about, was working properly finally. The rep was not straightforward with what the problem was, but whatever it was, they fixed it, and now it seems to be working okay.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Wow. The AiM gods don’t like you, do they?

GPS Manager, download latest track list, connect to SDL, clear all tracks on SDL (delete), the load all tracks again.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

If you look in GPS manager on the Solo, I'm guessing that you didn't select the track, but made a start finish in the cold pits and never crossed that point again. Look at the data and see.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:47 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good answers above but I would suspect the 'Track Width' setting in the Solo. Some tracks are very wide (California Speedway is one of them!) and at the default 30ft track width in the Solo you can have the track loaded correctly and still not get lap times. Widen the Track Width setting to 150 or 200 feet and you will even get a 'laptime' when you cross the S/F line on pit lane.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Caddell
Good answers above but I would suspect the 'Track Width' setting in the Solo. Some tracks are very wide (California Speedway is one of them!) and at the default 30ft track width in the Solo you can have the track loaded correctly and still not get lap times. Widen the Track Width setting to 150 or 200 feet and you will even get a 'laptime' when you cross the S/F line on pit lane.
Nice trick even picking up pit lane.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

[QUOTE=ProCoach;14811022]
Wow. The AiM gods don’t like you, do they?"

LOL, no, the AiM gods definitely don't like me.

Thanks for the advice. I will try these things next time I'm there in April. I'm surprised that no one else has had this problem since I'm sure a lot of Rennlisters run Auto Club Speedway, start from the grid (not hot pit), and use a Solo. FYI I for sure had selected the track; it just didn't pick up the S/F line. Thanks again. I also wonder if this problem is related to the other issue that I've posted about.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Thanks again. I also wonder if this problem is related to the other issue that I've posted about.
Very likely!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=zzyzx;14812322]
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wow. The AiM gods don’t like you, do they?"

LOL, no, the AiM gods definitely don't like me.

Thanks for the advice. I will try these things next time I'm there in April. I'm surprised that no one else has had this problem since I'm sure a lot of Rennlisters run Auto Club Speedway, start from the grid (not hot pit), and use a Solo. FYI I for sure had selected the track; it just didn't pick up the S/F line. Thanks again. I also wonder if this problem is related to the other issue that I've posted about.
Did you check in GPS manager if there was another track selected or look at the data to see where start/finish was? 99% of the time when someone tells me they selected a track, they accidentally make a new track and that is the problem.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

We mentioned in your other thread clearing all tracks and then reloading from GPS manager. Your current database in Solo sounds corrupted. For example, I don't have to select track. It auto selects when I turn it on and am near track I.e. Anywhere in paddock.

Did you ever clear and reload?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

I think I figured out what the problem was. When I was sitting on grid, I selected "California Speedway", but there was a second option in the database for "Cal Spd Oval."
Looking at the track database on RS3, "California Speedway" looks like it's the kart track at this facility, while Cal Spd Oval is the road course/oval. It's confusing since you'd think "Cal Spd Oval" was just the oval, not the roval.
I'm pretty sure that's the problem, but if not then I'll let you guys know next time I'm there in a month.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Old 02-25-2018, 12:33 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Somebody should tell AiM to rename it "California Speedway KART TRACK" since it's obviously going to confuse people the way it is now.
(FYI I'm assuming it's the kart track, but whatever that map is, it's not the roval.)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:13 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Somebody should tell AiM to rename it "California Speedway KART TRACK" since it's obviously going to confuse people the way it is now.
(FYI I'm assuming it's the kart track, but whatever that map is, it's not the roval.)
I hate to sound like a broken record but you need to use GPS manager to clean out the tracks on you SOLO. Get rid of kart tracks. Make sure you have the latest track coordinates loaded. SOLO has been like showtime rotisserie for me - set it and forget it.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I hate to sound like a broken record but you need to use GPS manager to clean out the tracks on you SOLO. Get rid of kart tracks. Make sure you have the latest track coordinates loaded. SOLO has been like showtime rotisserie for me - set it and forget it.
Agreed. I always do this on every system I send out. Then, no support calls for this sort of thing.

Quick Reply: AiM Solo won't pick up S/F line