Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird: sunroof motor runs when doors lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:35 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weird: sunroof motor runs when doors lock

I have an odd electrical problem that hopefully might be familiar to someone... my sunroof motor runs for a few seconds when I lock the doors, and sometimes when braking. Doesn't happen when I unlock the doors.

A loose connection, cracked insulation leading to wires touching, or something along those lines seems the likeliest culprit, but my first troubleshoot didn't turn anything up. Basically I just wiggled the sunroof motor mechanism and gave it a few light taps, to see if wiring or an out-of-adjustment microswitch might have been at fault. Nothing. Then I fiddled with the sunroof switch at the console to see if anything happened. Again, nothing.

[The clutch in the mechanism is on the loose side right now, as I've replaced the sunroof seals and in all the messing about to get it to fit properly I've been wary of stripping any sunroof gear teeth, so loosened it up for safety. So the few seconds running the motor isn't actually moving the roof, which with the roof in the locked position I guess means that the motor is running in the direction needed to open the roof]
Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 PM
auto2043
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This probably isn't going to help you much but in some really cold days, my sunroof will go up when I put the car in reverse. Weird stuff! XD
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zogster
I have an odd electrical problem that hopefully might be familiar to someone... my sunroof motor runs for a few seconds when I lock the doors, and sometimes when braking. Doesn't happen when I unlock the doors.
Originally Posted by auto2043
This probably isn't going to help you much but in some really cold days, my sunroof will go up when I put the car in reverse. Weird stuff! XD
​​​​​​
Do You know what the brake lights, reverse lights, and sunroof have in common?
They all share the same ground at the rear of the car.
​​​

Last edited by marc abrams; 02-19-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: My horrible writing
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooooh, that could be very useful information, thanks Marc! Sounds awfully like a solid lead, fault-finding-wise.

I'll try cleaning up the grounds and checking the wires to sunroof and brake, see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zogster
Ooooh, that could be very useful information, thanks Marc! Sounds awfully like a solid lead, fault-finding-wise.

I'll try cleaning up the grounds and checking the wires to sunroof and brake, see if it makes a difference.
That ground is easy to get to, just pop up the carpet and its along the back edge of the hatch on the floor.

Quick Reply: Weird: sunroof motor runs when doors lock