Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drinking Oil like its Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drinking Oil like its Gasoline

Yes.... . My 944 n/a is consuming 1 quart of VR1 20w50 oil every 85 miles. Not much smoke, no drips. Has ran good but is starting to shake on and off now. I was told that amount of oil would have fouled out the plugs and it's probably the oil cooler seal, but don't have milk shake when I check oil. back bumper is covered in soot from the last trip. Not sure where to start. I assume I will have to tear this motor all the way down but not sure what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Fastbackjack
Intermediate

By what you have said, I would guess worn rings. Or possibly really bad valve stem seals. Do you have oil in your intake? The soot on the back of your car is because you're burning oil.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheChampion
...I was told that amount of oil would have fouled out the plugs and it's probably the oil cooler seal, but don't have milk shake when I check oil. back bumper is covered in soot from the last trip. Not sure where to start. I assume I will have to tear this motor all the way down but not sure what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?
Bad oil cooler seals usually cause oil in coolant or “milkshake”, you cannot check for that by checking the oil, the milkshake is best seen in your coolant tank. However that’s unlikely to be your problem as you clearly have oil getting into one or more combustion chambers, so it’s either rings or valve seals. Pulling and examining your plugs will tell you most of the story. Then do a compression and leak down test to confirm which one it is and which cylinders are affected.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Of course you want to check if you are perhaps overfilling the oil and also check the crankcase ventilation system, crankcase pressure could blow out oil at higher RPM. A temporary catch can could be fitted. That rate of consumption would look like a bug fogger going down the road so I wonder if it is leaking under some conditions.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Chalt
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

It would smoke visibly I would think at that consumption rate. Or pools of oil when you park it.
Is there a Puff of smoke when you start it?
Have you tried having someone follow you when you drive to look for smoke, especially on acceleration. Sometimes it is hard to see that from the driver's seat.
What about the engine compartment? Any signs of oil leakage? I had a valve cover leak on a non P-car before that would leak oil when running. If the engine is clean clean then an oil leak will be easy to find. If it's dirty you may try cleaning it up and then look again for leaks after a drive. After it's warmed up, check for leaks while you're getting gas.
It is going somewhere! 1) a leak, 2) burning in combustion chamber, 3) You got some trickster thief siphoning your oil.
Let us know what you find!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Starting to notice smoke now. No oil in air intake box, although I did have some in there along time ago and I cleaned it out.Took some photos of the plugs. The coolant reservoir looks green and clean. Will do a compression and leak down test. I park it in garage, no drips on concrete. Little bit of oil seaping out of head but not quarts... So does this mean engine removal? Never done this before but if I was going to do it, i would want it to be a porsche.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

see if your aos tube to the intake is full of oil. gross crankcase leaks can allow the oil mist to be pulled into the intake. bad aos seals, rear balance shaft seals, valve/cam cover seals, oil fill cap seal, ect can all contribute.

your car may like regular copper core plugs.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
.That rate of consumption would look like a bug fogger going down the road so I wonder if it is leaking under some conditions.
If it is only being burned, it would absolutely be smoking enough to tell. The plugs don't look oil fouled; the 1st has a little ash but that can come from fuel additives.

Your picture above looks like cold exhaust condensate. If it isn't smoking hot like the pic below, keep looking for leaks.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheChampion
...Little bit of oil seaping out of head but not quarts...
The plugs don’t look like they are seeing oil and the exhaust smoke doesn’t look like oil burning. When you say you have an oil leak at the “head”, do you mean the head gasket or the cam cover gasket? If you’re seeing oil seaping out of the head gasket that’s a problem, if it’s out of the cam cover gasket then that’s not an immediate concern.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree. It looks like it's running pig rich, which is more likely to slime up the rear bumper as well as causing black plugs like that.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Two questions and my opinion FWIW.
1. Is the soot on the bumper greasy or dry? If it's greasy than it's from oil, if dry it's from unburned fuel.
2. Is that oil synthetic? If so that could explain the lack of ash deposits on the plugs if it's burning all that oil. Synthetic oil in my two stroke motorcycles burns really clean.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

I meant small leak from the valve cover, not head. The soot seems dry. Oil is conventional. So I guess the car is possibly burning rich because of lack of oxygen due to oil getting into intake / combustion chamber? Thank you all for replying. I will try to find any oil leaks in the places mentioned and do a compression/leak down test and get some new plugs afterwards.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:01 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

crankcase air leaks, not oil leaks, will make the airflow rate through the aos higher.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

2 fat orings holding the AOS to the block are the usual culprit for high oil consumption.
as thomas said, more air getting pulled in picks up more oil than it should and carries it to the intake.

easy to do if you pull the intake manifold off first. good time to inspect under-manifold hoses.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Check your air box for a dirty/clogged filter, mice like to build there reducing air flow and enriching the mixture . Also check your O2 sensor, limp home mode is rich. Remove the vacuum hoses from the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pressure dampener and check for gasoline, indications of a bad diaphragm. Gasoline straight into the intake from either of these richens things up too. Is you gas mileage poor?

Quick Reply: Drinking Oil like its Gasoline