Sponsored by:

Carbonio license plate GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carbonio license plate GT3

Hi, What do you think about the carbon license plate? no cooling problem ( on street for track I remove ) a better system exist? thanks for advice ( im in France)
https://www.carbonio.com/Porsche_991...por-991gt3.htm
Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

I have a Carbonio on my 458 spider. Works fine.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:32 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Carbonio for my GT3. You can see pictures and how it worked out here. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...k-mount-4.html

I don't leave it on the car (which is the reason I bought it in the first place) so I don't know if it will affect cooling. I suspect that it won't be a problem on the street. I did modify it a little to make it work better. I like it and would buy it again.

I've seen cars with license plates mounted on the tow hook mount but I don't like the unbalanced look.

Some people have installed magnets behind the bumper cover and on the factory license plate holder. That looks good but it's a lot of work.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
I did modify it a little to make it work better. I like it and would buy it again.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up with one of these. After seeing your post a while back though, I was hoping the Carbonio folks would chime in and produce an updated version for the 991.2 that would fit perfectly. They were quite responsive to PM's when I was looking into it initially so I expect they monitor the forums. Then again, they might not and may only look in here when they get a notification about a PM so they might not have a clue it doesn't fit right. When the time comes that I need one, I'll be a bit more proactive rather than sitting back and waiting for news.

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
Some people have installed magnets behind the bumper cover and on the factory license plate holder. That looks good but it's a lot of work.
This sounds clever but seems to me like just asking for damage. I can't imagine it not shifting around just a tiny bit and rubbing against the paint.

Edit: I just sent them an email with links to both threads so I expect we'll get their opinion sometime soon.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks an update arrived for 991.2 GT3? I hate making holes in bumper...I hope cops like it also
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I mounted two 1" round rare earth magnets to the inside of the center grill. I glued a piece of ferritic stainless, magnetic, to the back of my plate to match the position of the magnets. Trimmed the height of the plate to slightly less than the opening height and then wrapped the edges of the plate with Expel to avoid any damage while removing/installing the plate.

I've tested it at 80 mph on the road without issue. It is easy to put on and take off.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 PM
ELRSPRL
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a Carbonio for my .2 GT3. I contacted the company and they assured me that the one the version they made for the .1 would work for the .2. As you know, the .2's grill is not vertical relative to the road but rather angled to it. It makes it a bit more tricky to put on IMO (see pic). As for cooling, I have no idea but I'll be sure to be mindful of it as I drive back and forth from the track.

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 AM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Love mine. I never take it off because I live in NYC and cops are tenacious.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ELRSPRL
I got a Carbonio for my .2 GT3. I contacted the company and they assured me that the one the version they made for the .1 would work for the .2. As you know, the .2's grill is not vertical relative to the road but rather angled to it. It makes it a bit more tricky to put on IMO (see pic). As for cooling, I have no idea but I'll be sure to be mindful of it as I drive back and forth from the track.
So you didn't modify yours at all? And it clips on easily (aside from the angle)?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Really like mine. It is always on my RS. No cooling issues. Comes off at the track.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I use US Millworks tow hook plate. Great quality product made out of aluminum. Works great, easy to get on and off, and only slightly overlaps with the grille.

Here is a quick pic I found online. It sits the same on my .2, but you can adjust up/down, left/right based on where you mount the bolts

Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 PM
ELRSPRL
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
So you didn't modify yours at all? And it clips on easily (aside from the angle)?
So far, clipping it on is more difficult than removing it. Because the grill of the .2 is angled (in comparison to a .1), you’ll notice that our U.S. plates now fill out more of the grill’s vertical height. Since you have to angle the carbonio unit (away from the grill) to get it on, our plates - with its size - can get in the way as the top side will rub against the car bumper. I have so far clipped it on by doing the attaching the carbonio first, then screwing on the plate. The other solution is to further extend the arms but then the plate will sit further out in front of the car.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Renewing an older thread because of a question I have.

Considering this product on my 991.2 GT3, but I'm concerned the grill will become marked or indented over time as this mount gets removed and reapplied from the same location.
Could anyone who's used it for a decent amount of time care to comment?
Actually any owners comments appreciated.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:29 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Can you guys post a couple more pics of your Carbonio on the .2?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:36 PM
ELRSPRL
6th Gear

I have used the Carbonio for a couple months now for my .2 GT3. I have taken the plate on and off several times and have noticed that my insertion/placement has caused the paint to flake off the grill. IMO the flaking is caused by the plate's rubber pegs rubbing on the grill's metal as I rotate the plate's backing to place onto or remove it from the grill. I believe this problem would not be an issue had the grill not be painted but that's not the case. The unit so far has not dented the grill. I plan to use the Carbonio until the end of the track season when I'll purchase a new grill ($200+ part) and look for a tow-hook plate instead.

Quick Reply: Carbonio license plate GT3