JNOSOL's 991.2 GT3 - OCD DIY Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation JNOSOL's 991.2 GT3 - OCD DIY Thread

(Journal of Jimmy's OCD photos and DIY instructions)

My 2018 911 GT3 Specs:
White
PDK
Leather/Alcantara Package in Black/Red - Red Stitching
Extended Range Fuel Tank
4-Way Seats with Seat Heating
Front Axle Lift System
HID PDLS Headlights
Light Design Package
BOSE Surround Sound System
Carbon Fiber Interior Package
Audo-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor

Initial Impressions:
Coming from a 991.1 GTS with KW HAS suspension, the ride of the GT3 is just slightly more aggressive (maybe 10% more). It is a bit noisier compared to the GTS (some enjoyable noises). The howl of the NA engines starts around 3,700 RPM which is amazing. Lots of awesome mechanical noises, drivetrain, pumps, gears, clutch engagement. I can't wait to break her in to rev to 9k RPM. This motor has tons of low end torque and very responsive. Very usable without needing to rev past 6k to get enjoyment. The 991.2 GT3 PDK is nothing like the 991.1 GTS PDK, it's noisier (sounds like a bag of marbles crunching) and it acts more like an on/off switch than smooth engagement. The shift is super snappy and very enjoyable to manually shift. PDK is the best DCT on the market for good reasons.

Styling, it's very debatable but a GT3 needs a wing. The GT3 wing blends in with the rest of the styling perfectly, not out of place like some big OEM wing. One drawback is looking at rear view mirror, it drives me a bit crazy no being able to see the full rear view. I learned to use the side mirrors.

I highly recommend the 4-way seats unless you only plan to track the GT3. It's super comfortable and my understanding it's 30LB lighter than the 18-way per seat. I thought about LWB, a lot, but it's not practical if you do use it almost daily. Getting in and out is a b*tch and there's no heated seated for cold drives. Sure it looks great and slightly better resale value, but I didn't buy this car to look at or buy it for the next lucky guy (or gal).

Few photos:

Winter Setup - Signature SV104 Royal Gold with Michelin Alpin PA4 N1
20x9 ET44 front and 20x11.5 ET40 rear
245/35/20 and 295/30/20

Short Cuts:
Sidemarkers DIY:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14685874
AWE Tuning Foiler Wind Diffuser DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14685982
Valentine V1 / Blendmount Hardwire DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14688081
Cleaning and Maintaining Alcantara: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14706440
Soul Performance Center Muffler DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14801629

Instagram: sig_gt3
(Please don't PM me for wheels inquiry, we have a Signature RL commercial account for that)

Last edited by Jnosol; 02-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Default First Stop - Side Markers DIY

991.2 GT3 Side Markers Replacement DIY
Replace those hideous pumpkin lanterns
Tools Needed: Small Flathead screw driver and masking tape
Parts Needed: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1LEDSIDES.html
(don't buy the cheaper eBay ones, it might not be LED and won't fit right)

Side Markers Lights - LED (991, 981, & 718) - #SKU991LEDSIDES

Step 1: Mask around the old light to protect the paint
Step 2: Use a flathead crew driver and push the front of the light back with an action lifting the light away from the car (the clip is spring loaded), the light should pop out

Step 3: Unclip the old light, the clip is on the back side of the plug

Step 4: Clip the new light on and slide into position. (the passenger side wire is very short, so be careful not to rip the wire)
Step 5: Enjoy

Old 12-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Default No More Wind Buffer - AWE Tuning Foiler Wind Diffuser

AWE Tuning Foiler Wind Diffuser DIY
The 991 mirrors moved to the doors, which allows wind to enter the cabin at an odd frequency. This creates a "booming effect" and can destroy your ear drums at high speed with windows down (aka track use). The AWE Tuning Foiler Wind Diffuser pushes the air further back and away from the edge the windows = less wind buffer and booming effect. It works, I took this from my last 991.1 GTS.

Parts Needed: http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser
Tools Needed: Plastic pry tool and T-20 / T-15 screw driver

Step 1: Open the door and pry the corner trim piece upwards

Step 2: Locate the T-20 screw and remove it completely. Be careful not to drop it into the door panel or this 10min DIY becomes 2hrs. Put masking tapes where the screw could potentially fall if you're worried.

Step 3: Prep the new Wind Diffuser, for visible screws type: https://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf...Foiler_1.4.pdf
Step 4: Pull the OEM external corner piece up and remove.
Step 5: Install the AWE Tuning Foiler Wind Diffuser
Step 6: Tighten the T-20 screw from the inside and slide the small trim piece back in place. Repeat the other side.

Enjoy the Buffer Free Zone

Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Good stuff Jimmy. I bought some airfoils a while back and never ended up using them. You've motivated me to put them on the RS.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:48 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

the only mods the GT3 needs are LED turn signals, GMG bypass, and a "000" sticker

Old 12-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^Cd goes from 0.31 to 1.05
Old 12-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Money2536
Good stuff Jimmy. I bought some airfoils a while back and never ended up using them. You've motivated me to put them on the RS.
Hahah. Thanks Matt. I was skeptical that a $78 part fixes Porsche engineering oversight.

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
the only mods the GT3 needs are LED turn signals, GMG bypass, and a "000" sticker

I can help add to that list

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
^^^Cd goes from 0.31 to 1.05
Correction, 991.2 Cd is .33,. LOL. I'm sure AWE-Tuning spent 2,000hrs in an F1 wind tunnel for this $78 - $2 plastic part. On a serious note, I doubt there's any aerodynamic side effects.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Came for the "000" alert, and you had me at "winter setup." Big props on the white and gold, and congratulations!!!

Best,

Pete
Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM
DutchGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for taking the time to provide these detailed write-ups! Will hopefully be going through these exact steps myself in the spring.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

Thank you for a quality thread
Old 12-22-2017, 09:50 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
(Journal of Jimmy's OCD photos and DIY instructions)

My 2018 911 GT3 Specs:
White
PDK
Leather/Alcantara Package in Black/Red - Red Stitching
Extended Range Fuel Tank
4-Way Seats with Seat Heating
Front Axle Lift System
HID PDLS Headlights
Light Design Package
BOSE Surround Sound System
Carbon Fiber Interior Package
Audo-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor

Initial Impressions:
Coming from a 991.1 GTS with KW HAS suspension, the ride of the GT3 is just slightly more aggressive (maybe 10% more). It is a bit noisier compared to the GTS (some enjoyable noises). The howl of the NA engines starts around 3,700 RPM which is amazing. Lots of awesome mechanical noises, drivetrain, pumps, gears, clutch engagement. I can't wait to break her in to rev to 9k RPM. This motor has tons of low end torque and very responsive. Very usable without needing to rev past 6k to get enjoyment. The 991.2 GT3 PDK is nothing like the 991.1 GTS PDK, it's noisier (sounds like a bag of marbles crunching) and it acts more like an on/off switch than smooth engagement. The shift is super snappy and very enjoyment to manual shift. PDK is the best DCT on the market for good reasons.

Styling, it's very debatable but a GT3 needs a wing. The GT3 wing blends in with the rest of the styling perfectly, not out of place like some big OEM wing. One drawback is looking at rear view mirror, it drives me a bit crazy no being able to see the full rear view. I learned to use the side mirrors.

I highly recommend the 4-way seats unless you only plan to track the GT3. It's super comfortable and my understanding it's 30LB lighter than the 18-way per seat. I thought about LWB, a lot, but it's not practical if you do use it almost daily. Getting in and out is a b*tch and there's no heated seated for cold drives. Sure it looks great and slightly better resale value, but I didn't buy this car to look at or buy it for the next lucky guy (or gal).

Awesome spec - very similar to my upcoming GT3 except I opted for GT Silver, PCCB/Silver LED, and no leather. Enjoyed reading your impressions/thoughts, we might be in the minority but I agree with your opinion across the board. I opted for 4 way seats on mine as well, I also prefer the look of LWBS (and know resale is better with them), but I spec'd the car for my taste and the 4 ways are just so much more comfortable along with better ingress/egress IMO. I want to rack the miles up on my car and it will only see rarely see the track so I knew that the 4 ways were the way to go for me. Maybe down the road I'll add the DB Carbon seat backs for a similar OEM-like "carbon fiber look" but I just want the car first lol. Also went PDK, the manual is the popular option on RL and for good reason, but the PDK is just so damn good. It amazes me daily on my C4, I can't imagine what the PDK-S will feel like. Had the option for my allocation to go touring pack but thought that the GT3 needs the wing as part of the ethos and it just completes the aggressive look on the car without being overdone Oh and looking out the rearview mirror, that has to be the best part. Seeing the wing and badass rear scoops!!

Enjoy in good health, looking forward to following along. Have my clear side markers ready to go as well...
Old 12-22-2017, 10:47 PM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

JNOSOL - Congratulations on your GT3! I remember reading about your GTS DIY threads over in the 991 forum. Nice to see you posting over here on your new GT3 mods.

One thing is clear - You like white P Cars with Gold wheels!

I have a 15' GTS and am working on securing a GT3 allocation. Curious about the differences from stock GTS to Stock GT3. Are you pleased with the conversion to GT3? (Power, stock suspension (did you have the GTS stock suspension long enough to compare?) ideally I would like to keep the GTS Cab and add the GT3 but garage space and financial rationality are obstacles I need to overcome.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by stout
Came for the "000" alert, and you had me at "winter setup." Big props on the white and gold, and congratulations!!!

Best,

Pete
Thanks Pete. Going to put these Michelin Alpin PA4 to good use. =)

Dumb question. What the heck is "000"?

Originally Posted by DutchGT3
Many thanks for taking the time to provide these detailed write-ups! Will hopefully be going through these exact steps myself in the spring.

Originally Posted by NSD991
Thank you for a quality thread
You're welcome, more coming. =)

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Awesome spec - very similar to my upcoming GT3 except I opted for GT Silver, PCCB/Silver LED, and no leather. Enjoyed reading your impressions/thoughts, we might be in the minority but I agree with your opinion across the board. I opted for 4 way seats on mine as well, I also prefer the look of LWBS (and know resale is better with them), but I spec'd the car for my taste and the 4 ways are just so much more comfortable along with better ingress/egress IMO. I want to rack the miles up on my car and it will only see rarely see the track so I knew that the 4 ways were the way to go for me. Maybe down the road I'll add the DB Carbon seat backs for a similar OEM-like "carbon fiber look" but I just want the car first lol. Also went PDK, the manual is the popular option on RL and for good reason, but the PDK is just so damn good. It amazes me daily on my C4, I can't imagine what the PDK-S will feel like. Had the option for my allocation to go touring pack but thought that the GT3 needs the wing as part of the ethos and it just completes the aggressive look on the car without being overdone Oh and looking out the rearview mirror, that has to be the best part. Seeing the wing and badass rear scoops!!

Enjoy in good health, looking forward to following along. Have my clear side markers ready to go as well...
If Porsche charged $4k more for PDK compared to manual, MT would be a no brainer for me. But at the same price, best DCT on the market or best MT in years - very hard decision. Even Porsche was very surprised how people bought MT.

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
JNOSOL - Congratulations on your GT3! I remember reading about your GTS DIY threads over in the 991 forum. Nice to see you posting over here on your new GT3 mods.

One thing is clear - You like white P Cars with Gold wheels!

I have a 15' GTS and am working on securing a GT3 allocation. Curious about the differences from stock GTS to Stock GT3. Are you pleased with the conversion to GT3? (Power, stock suspension (did you have the GTS stock suspension long enough to compare?) ideally I would like to keep the GTS Cab and add the GT3 but garage space and financial rationality are obstacles I need to overcome.
LOL, I love white and gold for sure. A GT3 is everything I could hope for, everything is about 20% more than the GTS. More power, better steering, more good noise, and way more thumbs up. Obvious comfort is down and you'll lose the rear seats if you haul little ones in the back.

Your GTS value should plateau right around now and the GT3 is a cost neutral purchase if you can swing keeping both. If my GTS wasn't totaled due to an improperly installed road steel plate, I would've kept it.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Default Valentine 1 / Blendmount - Hardwire DIY

Valentine 1 / Blendmount - Hardwire DIY
Parts Needed
Valentine V1:
https://store.valentine1.com/store/closeup_20015.asp
Blendmount: https://store.blendmount.com/blendmo...ies-p1784.aspx
Fuse Tap - ATC Type: Local autocrats like Autozone, you'll need a 10a ATC fuse if it doesn't come with it.

Tools Needed: Plastic Pry Tool, Wire Splice / Crimp, and 10mm socket / rachet

Step 1: Prep your Blendmound with re-using the V1 bracket supplied

Step 2: Remove the mirror wire plastic covers, pull down hard on 1, then 2 can be pry apart.
(#2 clips are fragile, but it's fine it you break a couple clips. Everything will go back without you noticing.)

Step 3: Remove the passenger side fuse carpet cover.
Pull the rubber door seas that's hold it, pop the covers off with your hands and carefully pull the entire cover off which runs along the right of the glove box. Once you reached the top clip, just pull downward.
(the black rubber door seals requires a little muscles to pull up, be careful of tar getting on your nice Alcantara.)

Step 4: Run the flat telephone wire supplied by the V1 kit.
Run along the edge of windshield tucked under the head liner using a flat plastic pry tool to help tuck the wire, down to the passenger side, and loop to the right of the glove box area through the carpet fuse panel that was removed and to the fuse area. For the Mirror area, you'll want to leave a 6" slack to connect to the V1 later.
(I was too lazy to remove the A-pillar panel, so a little wire exposed was fine with me. It will be a project for another time to remove the A-pillar panel)

Step 5: Connect the V1 hardwire kit supplied to the fuse tap.
Black wire with the folk needs to be grounded. There's a 10mm screw on the left of the fuse box and can be seen when the fuse carpet panel is removed. The screw color should match your car's color. Remove that crew and slide the ground folk in there and tighten (don't over tighten).
Red wire goes to the fuse tap with a wire crimp.

Step 6: Connect the fuse tap to fuse slot D2 (switched spare fuse slot). You'll need a 10a fuse on the fuse tap.
Then connect the flat telephone flat cable to the V1 hard wire kit. Put the carpet panel and black rubber door seals back in reverse order it was removed. (top clip slides up, the rest pushes in)

Step 7: Install the mirror wire covers back the reverse order it was removed.
There's no cutting for the wire to fit, your mirror wire cover has a slot for the flat telephone cable to run through. Connect to the V1 and enjoy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jnosol:
Perimeter (06-19-2020), syosh (12-20-2021)
Old 12-23-2017, 12:31 PM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
. If my GTS wasn't totaled due to an improperly installed road steel plate, I would've kept it.
Sorry to hear about your loss but glad you have the opportunity to move into a true GT Car! The 20% more description helps out a lot. I will have the opportunity to get some seat time (passenger) in a .2 in Germany. I know I will absolutely love the experience which will only make me want one even more.

Good luck with your GT3 and keep the posts going

BTW "000" is the model digits used in P Cars (991, 993 etc.) (I'm sure Pete will have a better explanation but this is my understanding) . It's pronounced "Triple Zero". I just subscribed and can't wait for the delivery. I've heard nothing but good things.

Quick Reply: JNOSOL's 991.2 GT3 - OCD DIY Thread