Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Anti Lag? Experience? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:56 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 951 Anti Lag? Experience? Worth it?

This may be just me bored at work, but as I have VEMS already, and all I’d have to do is reinstall an IAC and set it up in the software, I’ve been thinking about trying out some anti lag. Not Launch control, though that’s cool, but a mild, rally style ALS for quicker power out of corners and not losing too much boost between shifts. Only activated when wanted, not full time.

I can’t find much in the search about it. Articles I’ve read say it’s not too bad on components if it’s not too aggressive. Anyone used ALS on our cars? Is it a dumb idea?

TIA for the knowledge!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flat foot shifting?
Usefull on track, especially if you have a big turbo. k27/6, you should be spooling instantly.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Use a twin scroll turbo setup and a 16 valve head. That's the anti lag setup. Or higher compression and less boost.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Use a twin scroll turbo setup and a 16 valve head. That's the anti lag setup. Or higher compression and less boost.
$$$$$
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Keep your revs up on your engine.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

ALS needs new air in the intake, some ignition timing when activated, electric throttle +++++

And for track use, i dont think we need it.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much work in my opinion. The ignition timing needs to be retarded 40 degrees momentarily, not to mention needing air from someplace ( Maybe the BOV)... and for what? To have instant power coming out of corners? I hope youre on a track or AutoXing... What is your suspension and wheel setup like? Coming out of corners 8-10 mph should help with lag.

If the lag of a k27/6 bothers you after a MAF and 3" exhaust, you might as well just throw a V8 in it and call it a day.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What about a nitrous set-up that only squirts the gas during the instant between rapid throttle depression and the onset of boost? I know systems like that exist for this very purpose. The nitrous cuts out as the boost builds, so there's (theoretically) no danger of blowing anything up through a combination of high boost and nitrous addition - it only "fills the gap" between mashing the throttle, and when the boost arrives.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
Too much work in my opinion. The ignition timing needs to be retarded 40 degrees momentarily, not to mention needing air from someplace ( Maybe the BOV)... and for what? To have instant power coming out of corners? I hope youre on a track or AutoXing... What is your suspension and wheel setup like? Coming out of corners 8-10 mph should help with lag.

If the lag of a k27/6 bothers you after a MAF and 3" exhaust, you might as well just throw a V8 in it and call it a day.
To much work for what? setting up the system?

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
What about a nitrous set-up that only squirts the gas during the instant between rapid throttle depression and the onset of boost? I know systems like that exist for this very purpose. The nitrous cuts out as the boost builds, so there's (theoretically) no danger of blowing anything up through a combination of high boost and nitrous addition - it only "fills the gap" between mashing the throttle, and when the boost arrives.
Yes but i dont think the OP wants to spend money on other setups. simply asked about ALS since he already has it on his ECU.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:20 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long term I’d like to go 16V and twin scroll, but for now with what I have, would like a bit more boost on throttle tip in post apex. On track I would be able to keep speed and revs up, this is more for canyon carving where I’m not pushing 10/10ths, but would still like more response out of corners.

Was just hoping someone had actually done it on our cars, and had experience with benefits and things to avoid.

Nitrous would be more complicated and more of an experiment than I think I have time for.

The hope would be that you can set up IAC to be mostly closed at hot idle so it could supply enough air when it opens, right now idle is controlled purely by ignition and fuel so I don’t think that would be tough. VEMS has ALS built in, so it’s just a matter of wiring a switch to enable it and tuning it. Maybe I’ll blaze that trail (probably again) and see what happens.

If anyone has actually implemented a mild ALS I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I think blown944 had an anti-lag system worked out a few years ago, you might try looking for his old threads.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I think your main issue would be combustion in the exhaust headers, potentially cracking them. Only because cracked stock headers aren't uncommon. Since you have a standalone the tuning is pretty much a write-off. You could even use a junkyard DBW throttle body or a fast-idle valve from a Ford to allow the airflow in, as almost a second "throttle body" in parallel with the main one. Again basically not an issue because the ECU can be told to control it at the right times.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
I think your main issue would be combustion in the exhaust headers, potentially cracking them. Only because cracked stock headers aren't uncommon. Since you have a standalone the tuning is pretty much a write-off. You could even use a junkyard DBW throttle body or a fast-idle valve from a Ford to allow the airflow in, as almost a second "throttle body" in parallel with the main one. Again basically not an issue because the ECU can be told to control it at the right times.
This^

Anti-lag completely destroys turbines, exhaust valves, seats/ports, etc. When WRC first started using anti-lag in the 1990s, they were replacing cylinder heads and turbos after every stage. I'm sure they have made these components more durable by now, but they also have more sophisticated means of keeping the turbo spooled. And WRC teams have the budget for this stuff!

I don't have any direct experience with anti-lag, but I know that it can be destructive. Interestingly Porsche itself uses a version of this on all of the latest turbocharged engines (991.2, 718, etc). The electronic throttle is held open slightly and ignition timing is retarded to increase EGT. However, I don't think any extra fuel is injected, which is likely what would push it over the edge and start damaging things (plus modern fuel emissions/fuel economy regs are so strict).

If I were you I'd consider an S2 gearbox with shorter gearing, it really wakes these cars up during street driving. I would totally get one for my 951 if it were used only on street, but the stock tall 951 gearing happens to be perfect for all of the tracks I run . . . .

Quick Reply: 951 Anti Lag? Experience? Worth it?