Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pagid Pads for HPDE - effect on rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:56 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pagid Pads for HPDE - effect on rotors?

For those folks running Pagid brake pads on track days, does it lengthen the usable life of your rotors?

I'm building a spreadsheet to evaluate the cost of having a track car vs using my 991 for the track for about a years worth of track days (4-5 planned in 2018). A big cost is replacing the OEM rotors and pads while still using the car as DD.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:21 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

My experience is the Pagid RS29's were very tough on my rotors (911 C2) . Why would you use OEM rotors for the track? I used Sebro for less than half the cost of OEM rotors. I used Pagids with them. I was able to make it through an average of 10-12 track days using this combo.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Why would you use OEM rotors for the track?
Because I use the car as my DD? Do you use your Sebro rotors for street use as well?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by fansonly
Because I use the car as my DD? Do you use your Sebro rotors for street use as well?
sebro rotors are a cheaper stock equivalent. no problems with street use.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I did 6 events (15 track days last summer). I needed new rotors and pads at the beginning of the season and went with Girodisc and ps-29 pads. Excellent for track but very squeaky on the street! So after season I went back to slotted OEM rotors (just like the GD instead of drilled) and pads. The Girodisc rotors have lots of life. The yellow pads, not so much! This was my 9th year of doing HPDEs and 1st as a PCA instructor. The wear and tear on the car plus track insurance plus watching a 991.2 get totaled in front of me made me get a track car. I’m building the Cayman S now! 😀
Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Absolutely. In fact, when I sold my C2 to a dealer it had Sebro's on it with OEM pads.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

cross over/ race pads have higher coefficients of friction than OEM pads - and are thus more abrasive by design, hence the improved initial bite. The consequence is, they're much harder on brake rotors.

The biggest issue with OEM rotors is they starting cracking from the cross drilled holes (due to heat and a nucleation point).
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

For those folks running Pagid brake pads on track days, does it lengthen the usable life of your rotors?

I'm building a spreadsheet to evaluate the cost of having a track car vs using my 991 for the track for about a years worth of track days (4-5 planned in 2018). A big cost is replacing the OEM rotors and pads while still using the car as DD.
I ran Pagid pads on all my various 997 cars for DE. They are horrible on the street...less stopping distance, eat rotors quicker and squeal like a mad pig. On the track at operating temps they are good and doing what they are designed for. I use to swap pads with track wheels for each event so the Pagids worked for me. on my 997's I tired some PFC01 pads and they ate the rotors far quicker than the Pagid Yellows RS29 compound. PFC didn't make any 08 or 11 pads for the car at the time.

Currently with my 2017 GTS I put on Girodisc rotors because the stock cross drilled rotors will crash easy at the holes. The GiroDisc are a floating rotor and the rotor face is slotted instead of the holes. I put in Ferodo DS2500 pads and did 2 DE events at Sebring...1 of the 2 day events was cut short a day by a leaky caliper bleeder screw and last weekend 1/2 of one day was cut short a little by rain. I went out in the wet but you're not braking all that hard in the rain. 2nd day was dry and cool and speeds were fast.

The Ferodo DS2500 pads worked great once bedded in on the street. Stock like stopping on the street and no squeal on the street. At the track they worked great but once the session was 20 min into a 30 min session the DS2500 felt mushy. My fluid is Castrol SRF. I bleed just to make sure there was no bubbles...it was the DS2500 pad giving up its life.

Real issue was after these 2.5 track days the Ferodo DS2500 pad was less than 1/8" of material left...they were gone..ate up...not safe for the final 1 hour happy hour session and I had to drive home on them too. So I totally lost that session.

I order some Ferodo DS1.11 pads which are a full on endurance race pad much like the Pagid Yellows but new technology. I am still VERY curious about the Race Technologies RE10 pad too but the RE10's were almost 400 more for a complete set than the Ferodo DS1.11 pads.

PFC pads are good too but they do not make pads front and rear for our cars. I can use PFC for the front because with GiroDisc rotors I can use a front GT3 pad. As of right now only Pagid and Ferodo have complete sets of pads.

Give Clark at apex performance.net a call...Clark as all the info on pads for our cars and good information.

Quick Reply: Pagid Pads for HPDE - effect on rotors?