Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Two are the Two to Keep for Years - GT2 RS, GT3T, .2 3RS or Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Which Two are the Two to Keep for Years - GT2 RS, GT3T, .2 3RS or Speedster

I could really use some guidance please.

I have a limited budget for cars and assuming the above cars could be had at MSRP (no ADM) which are the two best to keep and hold?

I have two young boys and if financially able, I would love to buy and hold two special cars that will appreciate and be a source of enjoyment for the family and one day one will be given to each boy for their enjoyment or to be sold. I love the idea of sharing memories in them as they grow up and teaching them about what makes the cars so special, then gifting it to them at the right time (don’t want them to be super spoiled).

I will have access to all of the cars listed and could sell two of them and keep the other two. The Gt2 is coming in Jan and the GT3T in April.

To be clear here are the main factors/considerations:
- How special each would be in the landscape of where cars are headed
- Driving experience
- Appreciation
- Relibility over many years

Thank you for the advice.

Last edited by BrntRubber; 12-10-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Keep all and you ll help inflating, a little at last..
Old 12-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 382 Posts

GT2RS and new Speedster without doubt

But if you're not a whale, good luck.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:55 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

I would keep whatever two you want at MSRP and let other enthusiasts get the cars they are queued up for at MSRP rather than see you flip and sell these like investments personally.... I don't think any of us really know where values are headed. What if they ban ICE cars sooner rather than later? What if the US doesn't? What if the 992 is hated because of it's interior? What if the 992 goes back to NA or switches from turbo to hybrid power train? What if the 991 are the last GT series made? Or what if the 992 GT series is way better? As you can see a lot of "ifs"....and if ifs were fifths, we'd all be drunk

I don't look at cars as investments or based on value, I look at it based on enjoyment, passion, and appeal to me in the now because who knows how long we all got... I think we have gotten so enamored with the lack of depreciation on the GT series that we forget these cars are just meant to be driven and enjoyed, even Porsche is trying to tell us that...
Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To be honest i think a bunch of cars in this era will be like baseball cards of the 90’s. To many produced to make any of them super special (appreciate in value). Unless they are a numbered limited run. Either way good luck. Car is a bad gamble as an investment in my opinion. Would have a better chance of return at the tables in Atlantic City
Old 12-10-2017, 05:04 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

see my collection below in my signature. I'm somewhat new (mid 40's in age) to collecting and have acquired these cars in the past 7 years. The key is to acquire before a car is discovered by collectors. Obviously low production, PTS and numbered even better. A good example is the 987.2 Spyder or even 981 Spyder. Both undervalued and not really discovered yet, thus still affordable. I missed out on the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0, and Carrera GT but did well with the BMW e30 M3 and BMW Z8 among others in my collection.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:16 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Cars are poor investments IMO - basing anything around that is purely speculation. Buy the two that excite you the most and hold them as long as they continue to do so.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

.2 RS because it will be the last for that being NA and the Speedster
Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I could really use some guidance please.

I have a limited budget for cars and assuming the above cars could be had at MSRP (no ADM) which are the two best to keep and hold?

I have two young boys and if financially able, I would love to buy and hold two special cars that will appreciate and be a source of enjoyment for the family and one day one will be given to each boy for their enjoyment or to be sold. I love the idea of sharing memories in them as they grow up and teaching them about what makes the cars so special, then gifting it to them at the right time (don’t want them to be super spoiled).

I will have access to all of the cars listed and could sell two of them and keep the other two. The Gt2 is coming in Jan and the GT3T in April.

To be clear here are the main factors/considerations:
- How special each would be in the landscape of where cars are headed
- Driving experience
- Appreciation
- Relibility over many years

Thank you for the advice.
If you really want to do something wonderful for your boys, buy each of them $200,000 worth of Apple. That will be worth more than the Porsches when they get to driving age.

Last edited by James Walker; 12-11-2017 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
To be honest i think a bunch of cars in this era will be like baseball cards of the 90’s. To many produced to make any of them super special (appreciate in value). Unless they are a numbered limited run. Either way good luck. Car is a bad gamble as an investment in my opinion. Would have a better chance of return at the tables in Atlantic City
Agree. Tons of very low mile cars from this era will be sitting in the garages of "investors" who were late to the real game.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:21 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
.2 RS because it will be the last for that being NA and the Speedster
Thanks Jimmy
Originally Posted by James Walker
If you really want to do something wonderful for your boys by each of them $200,000 worth of Apple and that will be worth more than the porches when they get the driving age.
James, you and some others have missed the point. This is not just about investment. It is about sharing memories in these cars as the kids grow and then leaving them each with what is considered a very special car that has hopefully appreciated.

I want them to hear the screaming engine of the GT3/3RS, the kick in the head and woosh of a GT2, wind in the hair and roar of an engine in the Speedster.... these are special memories with their dad. The investment component is a bonus and something I am mindful of considering with the amounts involved.

Thanks

P.S. I don’t plan on profiteering on the two cars I don’t keep. I plan on trading them back in with the dealer at list to get and keep the two I want.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

That being the case. GT3RS all day long. Naturally aspirated is a dying breed. So is 9000 rpm. Next choice would be speedster. Sorry dont find the gt2rs to be special in any way.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I guess the 6:47 ring time isn't that special.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,081 Likes on 5,256 Posts

Which Two are the Two to Keep for Years - GT2 RS, GT3T, .2 3RS or Speedster
Whichever two you like the best.

Everything else, including everything you've listed, is largely irrelevant.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Originally Posted by richk
I guess the 6:47 ring time isn't that special.

not really will be beaten in 2018 by the next best thing. After that whats left? A engine that doesnt rev high and doesn’t sound good at all. And you will still have a tank you need to fill for water injection that porsche loves to not talk about. It seems like its never mentioned. Ring times are great barometers, but are not the be all end all of the experience for me personally.

Id say the 918 on new super sticky rubber can put in a better time

Quick Reply: Which Two are the Two to Keep for Years - GT2 RS, GT3T, .2 3RS or Speedster