Sponsored by:

GT3 rear wing vs touring package/Gurney flap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 AM
RJRandalls
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 rear wing vs touring package/Gurney flap

Sorry if this question is already out there. I didn't see it.
Is there any information out on the physics/track times for the standard GT3 wing vs the Carrera style wing with Gurney flap offered on the GT3 touring package? All the posts I have seen comment on the obvious aesthetic differences.
Please advise. Not sure which to order. Appearance much less important to me than performance.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:24 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m assuming you are going for a manual transmission and thus looking to compare manual GT3 against manual GT3 Touring? I’ve seen a lot of conflicting information to this question and no concrete or official answer. I think GT3 Touring has a 1 mph greater top speed not that will make any difference. GT3 with wing more downforce for corners but more drag? Question would also be straight line performance vs cornering and therefore the layout of the track and number or corners and angle of corners would be a factor.

I can’t wait to see some more reviews and road tests come online to cover the manual cars and make comparisons between the current and previous models.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

It's a GT3, it should have a wing.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

A manual GT3 v manual Touring, all else equal (brakes, tires, driver, track conditions) is likely going to be too close to call except under the most precise testing and on longer tracks. I’d bet the difference would be within the margin of error or variability of lap to lap times from the same driver in the same car.

But PDK would make a much bigger difference.

This is is all academic. Who really buys a Touring pack car, much less any car with manual instead of PDK transmission, car with lap times in mind anyway? It’s aboit the fun of the driving experience not beating others with different cars. Or if going for lap times, it’s about beating yourself and improving your own driving skills, not speculating about how a wing could make you faster.

Having been driven some some hot laps by a pro driver in my own .1 GT3 it’s obvious these cars have much higher limits than vast majority of us are able to exploit. It’s about the driver not the tech specs of the car.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:55 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

The ONLY concern here is looks. And there's nothing wrong with that. But you will NEVER unlock the 10/10 performance Delta between the two MT versions. Ever. Not even close. Don't even worry about it.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

As others have said I highly doubt most of us here on RL have the skills and cajones to unlock the performance of the car where the wing vs. touring pack rear could be noticeable

For me it came down to looks and I just couldn't shake the notion that a GT3 should have the wing, it just completes and "makes" the car for me

It becomes a transmission choice as well if you need/want PDK like I did
Old 12-10-2017, 01:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRandalls
Is there any information out on the physics/track times for the standard GT3 wing vs the Carrera style wing with Gurney flap offered on the GT3 touring package? All the posts I have seen comment on the obvious aesthetic differences.
Please advise. Not sure which to order. Appearance much less important to me than performance.

Thanks!
Your profile doesn't say where you live. If you live in Germany or expect to drive there (including Euro Delivery), then you may benefit from the extra downforce of the fixed wing on Autobahn and Nordschleife. Otherwise, unlikely to matter in most other conditions.

I think you have to come pretty close to Vmax to benefit noticeably from the fixed wing (over 160mph/260kph perhaps), since the Touring Wing and diffuser do produce some downforce.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:12 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Where is the link to saying the wing has more downforce than the flap?

Looking at the trap times for the various speeds, the touring (flap up) has more drag than the wing. IIRC the touring is 1 mph slower vmax, not faster. Drag is obviously not the same as downforce, but so far I have seen nothing that compares the downforce between the two.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

Looking at the trap times for the various speeds, the touring (flap up) has more drag than the wing. IIRC the touring is 1 mph slower vmax, not faster. Drag is obviously not the same as downforce, but so far I have seen nothing that compares the downforce between the two.
Originally Posted by RJRandalls

Thanks!
Just got back from LAAuto show. Glad I made a decision to spec with wing. The silver gt3 touring looks like a base carerra. Lost some of the GT3 look. Less muscular. Even the Carrera T with buckets looks more special.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

There was some chatter indicating that the Touring was a bit unstable at high speeds and hence the gurney flap...I would go for the full GT3 wing, as opposed to what appears to be a slight afterthought, especially if performance is your goal.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to add 20psi to the winged car's tires. So much downforce it makes.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
You have to add 20psi to the winged car's tires. So much downforce it makes.
Lolwut
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also a the LA Auto show yesterday and was also very disappointed with the look of the Silver GT 3 TOURING there. It did indeed appear to look like a base Carrera, in fact that is what thought it was till I walked to the back of the car , it will be interesting to see how it looks on the street.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
I was also a the LA Auto show yesterday and was also very disappointed with the look of the Silver GT 3 TOURING there. It did indeed appear to look like a base Carrera, in fact that is what thought it was till I walked to the back of the car , it will be interesting to see how it looks on the street.
It will still look like a base Carrera. I mean, that's the whole point to the Touring. isn't it? To take away the racer look of the wing, so it will look like a base Carrera but have the GT3 mechanics.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
EVO magazine mentioned the touring package has a shorter front splitter to balance the decreased rear downforce from losing a wing, so it sounds like the touring makes less downforce front and back. That's the only place I saw a mention of that.
Originally Posted by Trk8
Just got back from LAAuto show. Glad I made a decision to spec with wing. The silver gt3 touring looks like a base carerra. Lost some of the GT3 look. Less muscular. Even the Carrera T with buckets looks more special.
Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
For some, me included, looking like a base Carrera is perfect. I don't track anymore but when I did, I also loved driving the GT3 on the street although was always a bit uneasy parking at work, made me a gossip topic. I am looking forward to driving a 911 that feels, handles, performs and sounds like a GT3 (it is) while looking like a base Carrera to most.

Quick Reply: GT3 rear wing vs touring package/Gurney flap