Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porche Will Use Augmented Reality to Assist in Problem Service Issues

Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Porche Will Use Augmented Reality to Assist in Problem Service Issues

Next year Porsche will be equipping their service centers with an Augmented Reality platform. They apparently have been testing in select dealers during 2017. The tech will don a pair of AR goggles and the factory will see what the Tech views in realtime. This should help a great deal with problem diagnostic issues, where problems exist and no codes are thrown.

Sounds interesting but we will have to see.

http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...our-car-faster
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

This has been around for a while I think. Three years ago, I had a leak from a toilet on my third floor of my home that went all the way into the basement while damaging every floor in between. I called my insurance company insitu (after I stopped the source). They got on the equivalent of facetime via my iphone and I walked them around the house and showed them the leak which was still draining through the floors. It was cool. Also video evidence and good for insurance assessment. This type of technique is fairly common - but still cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
This has been around for a while I think. Three years ago, I had a leak from a toilet on my third floor of my home that went all the way into the basement while damaging every floor in between. I called my insurance company insitu (after I stopped the source). They got on the equivalent of facetime via my iphone and I walked them around the house and showed them the leak which was still draining through the floors. It was cool. Also video evidence and good for insurance assessment. This type of technique is fairly common - but still cool. Thanks for sharing.
Actually what Porsche announced is quite a bit different.... It's a bit of videoconferencing, yes, but they are adding "augmented" reality to the mix, to actually show details of parts that perhaps the eyes won't see, illuminate assemblies and part references, all in the VR glasses surface. The article mentioned by the OP points out that AR "...allows the technical support team to take screen shots or send technical bulletins and instructions onto the projection surface of the glasses while the service technician is working on the vehicle." Will this make for better service experience at the dealer? I doubt it. What would in my opinion be really cool is if the tech used the AR glasses to walk the owner through a repair job either "live" of in review afterwards..... Doubt they would ever do that tho for obvious reasons....! Doh!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:21 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They already use augmented reality when they check your wallet.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Maybe they should be required to follow Rennlist as many issues that arise are well known here but seem to be unknown to many techs.

No code = No clue is the norm many times.

Unless someone else or a computer tells them whats wrong many have no clue.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The glasses will show an icon of a wallet being emptied, in real time.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

My prediction: There will *one* PCNA-employed senior master tech trained to use this contraption 'server-side' who will be responsible for supporting every dealer tech in N.A.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:39 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by randr
They already use augmented reality when they check your wallet.
Originally Posted by DC911S
The glasses will show an icon of a wallet being emptied, in real time.

This poor girls at the dealer cashier station

Scapegoats for the service advisors

Name:  photo737.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  photo336.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  605.9 KB
Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by worf928
My prediction: There will *one* PCNA-employed senior master tech trained to use this contraption 'server-side' who will be responsible for supporting every dealer tech in N.A.

Correction >>> PCNA - employed accountant

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porche Will Use Augmented Reality to Assist in Problem Service Issues