Sponsored by:

Does Bose Matter in a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Does Bose Matter in a GT3?

My Boxster had the Bose system. It was nice when I used it. Normally I'd just enjoy the sound of the car, but on a boring highway run I'd enjoy the stereo. I'm no audiophile. It sounded fine to me.

I have no idea whether it was worth what I spent on it. I've got no experience with the base system.

Can anyone here tell me whether it's worth it in a GT3? I mean... It's a Porsche. How bad can the base system be?? Is it really that big a difference? Will I regret not getting it? Is it an utterly pointless waste of money?

Since the GT3 is going to be a generally noisy car anyway, would I even be able to tell the difference between the base system and the Bose system??
Old 11-21-2017, 04:57 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No. I left BOSE out and my build is 187K
Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
My Boxster had the Bose system. It was nice when I used it. Normally I'd just enjoy the sound of the car, but on a boring highway run I'd enjoy the stereo. I'm no audiophile. It sounded fine to me.

I have no idea whether it was worth what I spent on it. I've got no experience with the base system.

Can anyone here tell me whether it's worth it in a GT3? I mean... It's a Porsche. How bad can the base system be?? Is it really that big a difference? Will I regret not getting it? Is it an utterly pointless waste of money?

Since the GT3 is going to be a generally noisy car anyway, would I even be able to tell the difference between the base system and the Bose system??

The car will be loud, just stay with the base system. No need to waste money on Bose. If you want Bose buy a Turbo S and go cruising.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:04 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Weasel, If you have the cash, why not just throw it in?
It won't hurt the value, and it's not going to slow the car at all.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Weasel, If you have the cash, why not just throw it in?
It won't hurt the value, and it's not going to slow the car at all.
I don't have the cash.

I just don't want to regret it if it actually matters. I don't want to think the base system sucks and wish I'd got it.

So if it matters, it means an extra month or two to pay it off down the road. If it doesn't, I'd just as soon use that money for tires.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

if u dont go with radio delete get the bose
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Let me add a little perspective.

I'm sure the alcantara sun visors look nice but they won't make a lick of difference to my experience with the car.

Same with lit up personalized door sills.

I'm wondering whether Bose is just a cash grab or whether it will tangibly change the experience of listening to music on the way to the track.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Both suck. Bose sucks less hard.

I always have music playing.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

whether it will tangibly change the experience of listening to music on the way to the track.
Save the cash for the center muffler delete, this is the only music to listen to on or off the track!!!

The base was not bad in the 991.1 GT3, it was a big step up from the 997.2 GT3, that base system was two speakers in the doors. But seriously this is not a Panny, you're not going to be trying to pick out the highs from the tweeters over the sound of the engine and transmission. The GT3 has less sound dampening, so it's loud.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Meh, changed my mind.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:34 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm sure the alcantara sun visors look nice but they won't make a lick of difference to my experience with the car.

I'm wondering whether Bose is just a cash grab or whether it will tangibly change the experience of listening to music on the way to the track.
Certainly YMMV but I like my light up door sills way more than I could have imagined. Seems silly but my garage is dark and I see them everytime I get in the car...

I would go Bose.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:35 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Bose in my Cayman S. When I traded that for GT4, there was no Bose option. I believe it was a choice of "base" (whatever that was) or "Sound Package Plus" which was the upgrade. It was just fine. Not great, but fine. So now with the new GT3, the Sound Package Plus is the base system. I.e. what was the upgrade in the GT4 is the base system in the .2 GT3. Since it was adequate in the 4, I figured it was good enough for the 3. Plus, I felt the need to make sacrifices to fund my "must have" options of lift and buckets, which were basically my only expensive options on my otherwise-stripper build, which I wanted to keep in the low to mid $150s.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll miss it, but if adding $1600 to you build doesn't phase you, get it. If it does, it's an easy thing to live without. Had I done Touring I would've spec'd 18-ways and Bose, but I opted for wing, buckets and no Bose. No regrets.

Where resale is concerned, if yours is a stripper, don't get it. If it's got lots of leather and interior upgrades, get it. Because at resale someone looking for a stripper won't care, and someone looking for a decked out car will.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you’re an audiophile go aftermarket. Great company called sound in motion in boston have a gt3 /Gt3rs set up. Did it on my gt3rs. Came out amazing You can obviously pick speakers to match your budget accordingly but literally not a factory part damaged and or drilled through
Old 11-21-2017, 05:39 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike the alcantara sun visors, if you don't have the Bose you probably will keep wondering how good it is.....
This is what I found on the Porsche website. Noise compensation tech sounds fun in a GT3..............

"BOSE® Surround Sound System with 12 loudspeakers including centre speaker and a subwoofer integrated into the vehicle body. Fully active sound system with a total output of 555 watts. BOSE® Centerpoint® 2 and SurroundStage® technologies enable the system to play stereo recordings in a virtual surround mode. AudioPilot® Noise Compensation Technology ensures that the acoustic pattern is constant and well balanced in all driving conditions"
Old 11-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Stuff like that matters a lot to me. The more I can personalize a car, the better.

If I was lucky enough to get a car, I'd do PTS, pinstripes on the wheels, personal message on the door sill, stitching, special seating surfaces, floor mats, etc.

I really feel it enhances the experience.

But that's just me.

http://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4c81d47d...b-a5026174b96b

Quick Reply: Does Bose Matter in a GT3?