Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery Stopped

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Euro Delivery Stopped

I’m supposed to be picking up my GT3 in Zuffenhausen in June, to coordinate with a run to Lemans. My salesman called me to tell me that all Euro deliveries for ALL makes, not just Porsche, have been suspended. He said, “something to do with EC registrations”, but he really didn’t know. He surmised it would clear itself up in a month or two, but Ive already purchased my tickets for the 24 Heures. Anyone know anything?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

unfortunately everything is banned, or is in the process of being banned in the EU
Old 11-18-2017, 09:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
unfortunately everything is banned, or is in the process of being banned in the EU
Can you please provide more info (and the reason)?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Seems that right now it's only Porsche that has suspended the ED program. People are still picking their BMW's and driving their cars in Europe.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:05 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Think about it. The cars are US speced not EU. Gotta be registration issues. And you have people from all over the world picking up their high performance vehicles, most not use to that power, hitting the autobahn and probably driving dangerously. My guess is Germany had enough.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Think about it. The cars are US speced not EU. Gotta be registration issues. And you have people from all over the world picking up their high performance vehicles, most not use to that power, hitting the autobahn and probably driving dangerously. My guess is Germany had enough.
My guess is that foreigners spending big money on their own cars are far more cautious and responsible than the average Joe who rents a Porsche at the Avis at the airport for a few Euros. I think Germany likes the ED Program. Been doing it for many years (soon after WWII) - helps the auto industry and tourism.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's the fact that foreigners are driving HP cars in Germany. And there are lots rental car companies making money in Germany. No, this is something else. What I know about the EC is that they don't necessarily take all of the conflicting laws of the various states and take the best qualities of each. Instead, they make laws incomprehensible by adopting all of the laws of all of the various states.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I was first person effected by this. It is very specific to Germany I was told. For example, I was told driving in Austria was ok. Why, not sure. Insurance and registration was likely reason. Don’t worry, I was told Porsche has no interest in stopping this program, working diligently to get it back up and running by warm weather season.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Can you please provide more info (and the reason)?
Sorry it was just a swipe at the EU and the way they govern :P
Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Siriuslux
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not really know what this is about.
As a European citizenof Germany and Luxembourg I have never heard about a ban of the kind you are describing above.
Are you sure, that‘s not wrong information? Could the ones launching the discussion get some substantiated information other than some US salesman saying something that the individual himself admits having no reliable information?
I prefer the plain truth vs. some sort of mixture of rumors, made-up ideas or information.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

i guess too. that it has something to do with the COC, EC registrations, TÜV, emission standards.

it is about the temporary number plates - the one with the yellow or red stripe on the left - but never the less the vehicle what is registered on them have to full fill the TÜV / have to have all the compliance as a regular number plate. which US cars generally don´t fullfill.
lights, belts, emission, fog light, speedometer, etc.
even if some of the issues are ok to do it with software. some of them are not that easy to change for a couple of weeks. and if it misses one - it is not anymore legal.

general:
those red/yellow stripe plates are meant just for EXPORTING German cars within the EU.
so you are also not allowed to put those on other EU cars as long they do not have german TÜV. (Import from Spain to Germany for example is also not legal with those plates)

i´m wondering already years long how they were able to do so - as they did over the last years for thousands and thousands of cars.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

another stupid car law/enforcement with which EU is hurting themself...

a pity for all the ED fans.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Siriuslux
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jo_ker, that would make sense, however the US customers could certainly come with a US registration in hand and a US plate, then everything would be legal.
Let‘s see what our friends from the US come up with as explanation.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Siriuslux
Jo_ker, that would make sense, however the US customers could certainly come with a US registration in hand and a US plate, then everything would be legal.
Let‘s see what our friends from the US come up with as explanation.
Except for the fact that one would need insurance. US insurance, required for US registration, is not valid in EU. And AFAIK you cannot drive a car in the EU without insurance. Therefore one would have to find acceptable insurance in EU.

The question is which other OEMs are affected by this: BMW, MB, Audi, ...?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Except for the fact that one would need insurance. US insurance, required for US registration, is not valid in EU. And AFAIK you cannot drive a car in the EU without insurance. Therefore one would have to find acceptable insurance in EU.

The question is which other OEMs are affected by this: BMW, MB, Audi, ...?
when I was over in early October, I was supposed to pick up my GT3. Unfortunately couldn’t. That night I saw a couple from USA in their new Mercedes they had picked up THAT DAY!!!! Obviously Mercedes hadn’t been effected, at least at that time.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Stopped