Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder Front spoiler lips

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 PM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder Front spoiler lips

Anyone have a lead on replacement front spoiler lips for a 987.2 Spyder? Previous owner had removed them after catching them on a parking block.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by chdowns10
Anyone have a lead on replacement front spoiler lips for a 987.2 Spyder? Previous owner had removed them after catching them on a parking block.

Thanks in advance!
try Suncoast Parts
Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 PM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zedcat
try Suncoast Parts
Thanks! It seems like they are the only place online that carries them.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would think Sunset and Pelican would also have them. Sometimes you need to call.

But Suncoast has better pricing on OE parts from what I have seen.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:18 PM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Cool. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

they used to be so cheap... now $200 a piece? lol i think i paid $40 from sunset imports haha..
I installed it on my 08 Boxster in 2011...
Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I have found Sonnen Porsche to be the cheapest the last several years. Greg the parts manager is very nice to work with, although for a small order anyone in the parts department should be able to help you.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by il pirata
I have found Sonnen Porsche to be the cheapest the last several years. Greg the parts manager is very nice to work with, although for a small order anyone in the parts department should be able to help you.
I'll give that a try. I wish they were still cheap. Over $300 from Suncoast now for the pair.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:47 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Does anyone know if they serve any purpose other than cosmetic? Previous owner had put on aftermarket version which caught on everything. I finally removed it. I bought a pair, am debating whether I put them on or just keep them for when I feel like I need them. Driving daily where I do there are lots of chances to bang them up.

Can't imagine they provide any aerodynamic advantage or downforce given how small they are and where they are located?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Which is the part number for those parts, and can be they be taken out without removing the bumper?
My front bumper was (poorly) repainted and some white paint went over one of the lips. I was thinking to replace it or to clean it (if anybody has some suggestion on how to do it)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ale_72
Which is the part number for those parts, and can be they be taken out without removing the bumper?
My front bumper was (poorly) repainted and some white paint went over one of the lips. I was thinking to replace it or to clean it (if anybody has some suggestion on how to do it)
Here is the part at Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9872SLIP.html

You can certainly replace it - it is attached via several plastic pins in the rear, 3M tape around the edges, and two fixed pins that go into the bumper. I would imagine you could also remove it and clean it as well. Removal would be pulling the pins and gently taking pulling it out and away from the bumper towards the front and side. The tape is going to resist you a bit, and do not pull straight down. The pins that affix to the front and site of the bumper stick straight into the bumper level to the ground/at a 90 degree to the bumper. You don't want to sheer those off.

Not sure exactly what kind of 3M tape was used - but looking at the new ones I have here it is very, very thin -
Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Perfectly clear, thanks!
My only fear is that the bumper is damaged and not only poorly painted but as well poorly repaired.
I need to give a closer and serious look at the bumper itself before starting.
If meanwhile the OP decides to go for the replacement, pics on the part and on the "under bumper" will be very welcome.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:46 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Perfectly clear, thanks!
My only fear is that the bumper is damaged and not only poorly painted but as well poorly repaired.
If meanwhile the OP decides to go for the replacement, pics on the part and on the "under bumper" will be very welcome.
Well, if the bumper is damaged, that is an entirely different story. If it is poorly repaired and painted, that should be pretty obvious. I've got cracked paint on mine where the last guy put an after-market spoiler. Given my dis-taste of spraying unless absolutely necessary, I simply sanded it smooth and used touch-up paint. It is low on the car and hardly noticeable now. Plus if I ever do sell it, it will be obvious to the new buyer exactly what the damage was.

Installing the front lips is an incredibly straight-forward job though - I'd send you pics but I have no plans to lift my car up that high in the coming months.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Ale_72
Pro

For sure the bumper has been badly stone chipped and surely already badly repainted. A couple of details makes me think that is damaged as well (the led light that was not properly fitted - now easily snapped back in place with nothing broken, the hook cover broken and fixed in a poor way, the fact that the respray has been done with the lips still on). All this makes me think to what could be still hidden. I can bet that the car finished over some track curbs... Consider that I have an invoice of almost 8k usd Porsche invoice to be granted the Porsche approved warranty. This is why I was thinking to remove the lips only when close to a proper repaint of the bumper (and probably the bonnet).
Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Perfectly clear, thanks!
I decided to hold off on putting new ones on. I live down a rough gravel road and sometimes catch some bigger rocks on the underbody air scoops. I don't think the front lip spoilers would fair well with getting beat up like that. Most likely moving in a year so if my road is better I might think of installing new ones then. The dust and mud makes it hard to tell I don't have them on there anyways.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder Front spoiler lips