Let engine to cool off when I get home

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 PM
hd3637
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let engine to cool off when I get home

Hi guys, new in the Porsche world.
I have this thing that I like to do when I get home and pull the car in the garage to open the engine lid and let the engine to cool off with a floor fan that I always keep in the garage. I dont know why I like doing this but I do it on my vintage vw's as well. Its not because the garage is enclosed or because the garage gets hotter, its because I just like doing it, it made feel like Im helping the engine to cool off better.
Its like some people like to turn their heads after they park their cars on the street. I guess is love for the car.
In any case, I see the engine lid compartment has a light bulb and even though the switch is off it remains on, so today I decided to look and I remove the light bulb and let the engine cool off with the engine lid open and the fan. The question I have is, even removing the light bulb, is the battery draining current ? I could kill the battery leaving the engine lid opened even thought I removed the light bulb ? Im not sure how the system works on this car so any help would be greatly appreciated. If it becomes any issue I can always put the light bulb back and close the engine lid but Im guessing it should be OK.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

People who own these cars self select for OCD characteristics - if it makes you feel better then do it
Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

i pop lid every return home sometimes add fan to cool motor. P car crazy yes but I do enjoy and take special car of my toys.

Heck, sometimes I'll pop to lid at lunch.

Mind you I have several P cars and none are daily drivers so each get all the love and attention a special car deserves.

Dont flame me. My cars are very special.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
i pop lid every return home sometimes add fan to cool motor. P car crazy yes but I do enjoy and take special car of my toys.

Mind you I have several P cars and none are daily drivers so each get all the love and attention a special car deserves.

And that's why we own these joys. Has to be something to compensate for the $$$!
996AE
Rennlist Member

PS did I forget to mention I speak softly to her....
996AE
Rennlist Member

I am sorry I cant stop laughing...
Old 10-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The light on the engine lid will turn itself off after some timeout. Can't remember but it's something like tens of minutes. You won't drain your battery much.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:11 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

When the temp gets to a certain level, the car will actually turn fans on to help cool things down after being shut off. I've heard it do it. I believe its due to heat soak setting in after you park.

Fun fact - my FD RX-7 had a special lead off the ECU. If you grounded it prior to turning off the ignition, it would run the radiator fans for 10 minutes.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
hd3637
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the engine cool off

Originally Posted by 996AE

I totally agree with you and Im glad Im not the only here doing that. Same here, No daily driver. I have to see what the other member said about the light going off after 10 minutes, I have not tried that.
Good that you give some love to you car like I do. Hey some people like to clean the wheels everytime they come back from a ride, others, they put a car cover in the garage which I dont do.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
When the temp gets to a certain level, the car will actually turn fans on to help cool things down after being shut off. I've heard it do it. I believe its due to heat soak setting in after you park.

Fun fact - my FD RX-7 had a special lead off the ECU. If you grounded it prior to turning off the ignition, it would run the radiator fans for 10 minutes.
yeah, my car did that in the summer. Went in the garage to grab a beer and I could hear the fans going...wtf...I pulled out the manual to see if that was normal....yup...normal! lol
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92

Engine compartment fan will not run if the hood is open.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
The light on the engine lid will turn itself off after some timeout. Can't remember but it's something like tens of minutes. You won't drain your battery much.
Power managment feature should turn off light in about 2 hours. If you open the hood and then set the alarm, light will go out in about 20 minutes - either way not enough power draw to affect battery.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yepper....a must share this beauty at the bar
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
yepper....a must share this beauty at the bar
I'm going to guess that you don't make sure you're parking your tires on a fresh spot every time?

Put a hose in the snorkel and pour water on top of the motor it to cool it off more efficiently.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
I'm going to guess that you don't make sure you're parking your tires on a fresh spot every time?

Put a hose in the snorkel and pour water on top of the motor it to cool it off more efficiently.
nor do i worry about the parking angle/driveway tilt,phone location,anything oil related ,visor stickers ,wheel crests facing tire valves,.........but the bar gets a good laugh over these ......and the biggie.......taking a picture every time they park their princess car in a strange place

Quick Reply: Let engine to cool off when I get home