997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is considered “High Mileage”??

Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 AM
6S219
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is considered “High Mileage”??

I am considering a 2010 997.2 Turbo. It is a 3 Owner car with 77K miles. Is that considered a lot of miles? The current owner says they are “freeway” miles.

Thoughts, concerns, suggestions?

If I go forward with the purchase I will definitely have a PPI performed.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

That's more than a lot of TTs, which are often 3rd cars driven on weekends, but it's also not the 1970s anymore and Porsches are modern cars capable of 200k miles or more if they're taken care of. The DME report will give you an average MPH that will shed light on the highway miles thing, which I'd tend to believe, personally. Only having three owners over that span also sounds good and could imply that it's a solid example that has treated them well.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Anything over 249,999 miles.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 6S219
I am considering a 2010 997.2 Turbo. It is a 3 Owner car with 77K miles. Is that considered a lot of miles? The current owner says they are “freeway” miles.

Can't recall from where now I came upon this but Porsche considers the normal usage of its cars to be around 6K to 9K miles per year.

A 2010 car probably purchased in fall of 2009 is now 8 years old. With 77K miles that's 9,625 miles per year on average.

A bit above the 9K miles per year upper usage number I offered above but not lots.

With reasonable servicing and treatment these cars can accumulate big miles with few issues. Most don't accumualte big miles as they are not used as daily drivers/long distant tourers but as pleasure/special occasion cars and mostly this involves short trips at low speeds.

I'd say go kick the tires and light the fires. If the car passes a thorough used car road test, a combination test ride followed by a test drive, and afterwards a thorough used car check out and after all this you still like the car have it PPI'd.

At PPI time the engine overrev counters and their data along with the total engine run time will be available and you can divide the odometer miles by the engine run time to get the average speed.

"30mph" is considered about average. A lower number suggests the car spent less time on the freeway and more time on surface roads. A higher number suggests the car spent more time on the freeway and less time on surface roads.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:46 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it going to be your daily driver? Will you have the liquidity to deal with the higher probability of things happening like a water pump or front diff failing? These cars are very reliable compared to other super cars but they do have weak points (coolant lines, clutch slave, cam sleeve slippage) which are not cheap to fix.

If you do your due diligence, the car checks out and you buy it with your eyes wide open, higher mileage 997 turbos can be a great deal.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:53 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There’s the mechanics, maintenance and other tangible considerations when buying one of these cars. However mileage can become a deal breaker for many potential buyers. While 77K is on the high-end for a 2010 TTS, you’re 23K from the OMG 100K milestone (for some)... Every mile bringing you closer and closer to the cliff, LoL.
Milage like age is relative, selling and buying cars as with dating...higher the number can complicate things.
All things being equal, it really depends on what the “number” means to you...right? JB
Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
These cars are very reliable compared to other super cars but they do have weak points (coolant lines, clutch slave, cam sleeve slippage) which are not cheap to fix.
Don't think the cam slippage and coolant pipe issues apply to the 997.2TT cars.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 PM
6S219
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Can't recall from where now I came upon this but Porsche considers the normal usage of its cars to be around 6K to 9K miles per year.

A 2010 car probably purchased in fall of 2009 is now 8 years old. With 77K miles that's 9,625 miles per year on average.

A bit above the 9K miles per year upper usage number I offered above but not lots.

With reasonable servicing and treatment these cars can accumulate big miles with few issues. Most don't accumualte big miles as they are not used as daily drivers/long distant tourers but as pleasure/special occasion cars and mostly this involves short trips at low speeds.

I'd say go kick the tires and light the fires. If the car passes a thorough used car road test, a combination test ride followed by a test drive, and afterwards a thorough used car check out and after all this you still like the car have it PPI'd.

At PPI time the engine overrev counters and their data along with the total engine run time will be available and you can divide the odometer miles by the engine run time to get the average speed.

"30mph" is considered about average. A lower number suggests the car spent less time on the freeway and more time on surface roads. A higher number suggests the car spent more time on the freeway and less time on surface roads.

I went to see the car today and it was immaculate!! Interior looked brand new, paint was in pristine condition.i will have a PPI done next week and if all checks out I think I will go forward with the purchase.

With 77K miles Ian the next major service going to be the 80K? If so what is involved with that service?

Thank You all for you replies!
Old 10-15-2017, 02:32 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't save much with high mile 2007 TT's and up cars anyway. There is a 10 grand or so difference in price with the lower mileage cars so just pay more for the low mileage cars INHO.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I think the next major is at 90k, not 80k, so assuming it was done at 60k you have some peace of mind there.

Glad to hear the condition is so nice, sounds like it might be a good one. I think it's more wise to buy cars on an individual basis like that than the arbitrary blanket "over 30k miles or any range 2 overrevs and I walk" approach.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:04 AM
What's Next?
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently picked up a 2011 TTS with 74k mi on it. There is not a squeak or rattle in it. It still smells new and drives new. The first owner was Dr. who put freeway miles on it. It was always serviced at the dealer and is CPO till 12/18. That gave me piece of mind. It is a awesome machine!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I went to see the car today and it was immaculate!! Interior looked brand new, paint was in pristine condition.i will have a PPI done next week and if all checks out I think I will go forward with the purchase.

With 77K miles Ian the next major service going to be the 80K? If so what is involved with that service?

Thank You all for you replies!
Not clear from your post but I hope you spent some time in the car on the road.

A proper road test should have you as a passenger for a 15 mile drive that gives the driver a chance to demo the car as you intend to use it.

Then back at the starting point you get behind the wheel and drive the car over the same route and drive it the same way.

The test ride, followed by the test drive, preceeded by a longish cold idle time as you initially check out the car should have the engine running around one hour. This is to give the DME time to run through all the readiness monitor checks -- the Porsche techs tell me for the Turbos the DME does this "twice" -- which should have all the readiness monitor set to complete or the CEL on.

The approx. 1 hour run time also gives any leaks time to appear so when the car is in for a PPI and on the lift a careful check for any leak sign has a better chance of finding a leak.

Can't help you with what services are needed at 80K miles. Porsche can change its mind on these and does.

My best advice is visit the local Porsche dealer and a tech should be happy to print out the latest/current service schedule for the car.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a 2010 997.2 turbo that was my daily driver. I sold it with 70k miles on it last year. Car was running flawlessly. I think they are really well built and if properly maintained, will run for many miles without major problems.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my 09 TT with 60.6k miles and it is amazing. I plan on putting many many miles on it. I did 3k miles in 2 weeks during the cross country drive back
Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run it into the ground you might get some value IF the car stays together. What if it starts to break? They're not cheap to fix. When you sell it who wants a car with over a 100 grand in miles...no one.
At least if you spend more for a low mileage car you get back allot of value at trade in time because of demand for Porsche's.

Example: 40,000 miles sell it at 80,000 miles= get good money
Example: 80,000 miles sell it at 120,000 miles= no real money

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is considered “High Mileage”??