Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which seats for GT3 with Touring Package?
Sofas (either 18-way or 4-way)
49.19%
Buckets (either LWBs or folding buckets ROW)
50.81%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?

If you are getting a GT3 Touring, or want to get one, which seats would you get, buckets (whether LWB or folding if you're in ROW) or sofas (whether 4-ways or 18-ways)?

This is not meant to be another general LWB v. sofas thread; that's been beaten to death already. It's about which seats you would want yourself in a GT3 with TOURING PACKAGE, regardless of what you have now or what you would get in a non-Touring Package GT3.

I'm asking because I'm torn. I like the LWBs and had planned on getting them in my 991.2 GT3—before the Touring Package was announced....

But now that I'm leaning toward getting the Touring Package, maybe sofas would be a better fit to the spirit of the car? This despite Porsche's (odd?) choice to have LWBs in the Frankfurt launch car as well as in the one other Touring Package car seen in official photos (the black one). In fact, kind of weird that there's not one photo out yet of a GT3 Touring package with seats other than LWBs.

Anyway, let the poll and the opinions begin!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:27 AM
M3nomore
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 22 Posts

Depend on whether the LWBs will accept a harness and whether a bar is required for a harness
Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be thinking along the same lines as you.
The touring package I think is designed for touring and not so much track, I would go 18 ways . They suit the car more
I am getting a GT3 with wing and have opted for LWB's
Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 AM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personal opinion, but I think the buckets are very comfortable.... Although I haven't sat in them for a long period of time.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

In theory, it's still a GT3 - Full Bucket Seats.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:50 AM
RRRRR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With Wing - PDK+ Full bucket
W/o Wing - Manual + 18 Ways (18 ways can hold you well, most of time still crayon use and full bucket in GT4 makes my back hurts)

I'm still a young man haha
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Buckets, no question. I have a GT3.1 with sofas and a GT3.2 with buckets.

Just did a 4,400km road trip driving both back to back.

Conclusion by all three drivers, buckets are more comfortable, even over an long stint at the wheel, compared to sofas....by a long way.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 AM
hsiaochinsan
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Hard decision. LWBs look so nice. I had them on my GT4. They are pretty comfortable; however, they do make me think twice.. should I drive this car today.. it is a pain to get in and out of the car. I ended drove only one thousands miles in one year for my GT4. Sofas might be the way to go with touring.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:28 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Buckets look nice, but due to limted adjustability of the buckets (height being a key one for me) I wont risk it. Would hate to drop 400k (AUD) on a car and not be able to get the driver position right.

18 ways for me (as per my GT4).
Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

People get so hung up on the LWB as a sign of manhood or something. If you're not tracking your car regularly, and I expect most GT3 touring to be driven like carreras, then sofa seats are much more comfortable than LWB for most people and still hold you very well if you're not taking track corners.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:36 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
People get so hung up on the LWB as a sign of manhood or something. If you're not tracking your car regularly, and I expect most GT3 touring to be driven like carreras, then sofa seats are much more comfortable than LWB for most people and still hold you very well if you're not taking track corners.
Disagree. I find the 18-ways to be extremely uncomfortable and prefer the buckets for everything except getting in and out of the vehicle. On top of that, in the future the 18-ways will be worth almost nothing - 1k or so - and the buckets will probably be worth 10k+. With the price of the switch you're likely giving up somewhere around 5k in future equity by not checking the bucket option.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Disagree. I find the 18-ways to be extremely uncomfortable and prefer the buckets for everything except getting in and out of the vehicle. On top of that, in the future the 18-ways will be worth almost nothing - 1k or so - and the buckets will probably be worth 10k+. With the price of the switch you're likely giving up somewhere around 5k in future equity by not checking the bucket option.
Have you spent much time in the 4 ways? I find them much more comfortable than the 18s.

You make a good point that some people are much more comfortable in the LWB over a sofa seat, but that is definitely the minority of people. If you took 100 random people off the street and had them sit in the LWB or the sofas for 2 two hours of driving, I bet 90% of them would say the sofas are more comfortable.

I also agree with your point (in general) that LWB add value to GT cars, however, that really applies to the true winged GT cars, like a GT3 or RS, for which you definitely add value to the car by ordering LWB.

I expect people to look differently at the GT3 touring cars, (and use them differently) compared to the standard GT3/RS, and I doubt you'll see the same price differential for LWB seats in a GT3 touring compared to an RS, 10 years from now.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

If you consider the touring as an alternative to the "R", you should go bucket seats. If you want a differentiator to the GTS, you go with LWBs, since folding bucket seats are also available on the GTS (unlike LWBs).
Old 09-22-2017, 05:04 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't get the resale discussion. Spend to much time speccing the car for the next buyer and you will forget the fact that you might want to enjoy it a bit yourself before selling it to them.

All things being equal, pick the choice which has better resale, but they aren't really equal, are they? They all have positives and negatives and the weight of these positives and negatives will be different depending on the individual.

in summary- pick what fits you best.
The following users liked this post:
F14sharky1 (08-25-2021)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 AM
karter34
Advanced

in summary- pick what fits you best.[/QUOTE]

after thinking about this a little more . Just pick the seats you want.
Its your car you will be driving it what ever seats make you the happiest.
Thats what I did. spent the $$$ and have no regrets so far .

Quick Reply: Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?