Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 AM
Definitive Porsche Guides
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Comprehensive Kindle guide to 996 series 911

Hi All,
Just a quick post to let you know that there is a comprehensive 996 guide available for instant download on Kindle.
Called the Definitive Guide to Porsche 996 series 911, it is written for enthusiasts by fellow enthusiast Grant Neal. There are 143 pages packed full with information and images on all 996 models, including a section with real owner's cars. With the benefits of Kindle page navigation and image zoom it works even better than a printed book.

The US information page is here .....
Amazon Amazon
but it is also available on most Amazon country sites.

This forum is one of the the ultimate fonts of Porsche knowledge and a fantastic place to gain knowledge on all things 911 from an experienced and helpful group of forum guru's. But you can't beat having all the information, along with hundreds of quality images, all in one place for easy reference. Then, in combination with the forum, new buyers and owners have all bases covered.

You can look inside and view a few introductory pages and if you log into your Amazon account you can even send the sample pages to your free Kindle app on iPad (PC, Android, etc) so you can see what it looks like. The guide is currently on a special introductory offer

A huge thankyou in anticipation of your support, these are fantastic cars and they offer amazing value, a real 911 bargain.

There is also a 208 page 997 guide (all models gen1 & gen2) here...
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Definitive Porsche Guides; 09-02-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

After reading through the sample, I just ordered it... nice read, great price. Always nice to have a little reference material on the Kindle fire!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, picked it up yesterday!
Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great production, well written, good content, best read on a tablet like an iPad, or Android equivalent. My kindle is monochrome.

Still looking for the "twin cup holders" in my '03 C2 though...US spec? I've only got one!
Old 09-02-2017, 05:34 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidude
Great production, well written, good content, best read on a tablet like an iPad, or Android equivalent. My kindle is monochrome.

Still looking for the "twin cup holders" in my '03 C2 though...US spec? I've only got one!
Have you tried pulling on it?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
This is why I don't do my own servicing.... doh!
Thanks
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

They are also for two different sized cups
Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

dporto, Volkert & Audidude a BIG thankyou for your support glad you are enjoying the guide.
Pleased we found you an extra cup holder Audidude. As a side note don't forget you don't need to use your black & white Kindle device, if you haven't got a colour tablet just download the Kindle app to your PC (or Mac) and you can have it in full colour on that as well!

996 guide update - Just a quick note - with a bit of hi-tech wizardry we have managed to greatly reduce the file size of the guide on Kindle while also maintaining the quality of the images. If you have already purchased the guide you should be able to take it off your Kindle app and re-download with the smaller file size, if required. A big thank you once again for your support
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I'm using Kindle Fire, so full color...
Old 09-04-2017, 01:00 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the link. Downloaded and looking forward to reading it.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still, I am missing one VITAL information!!! My late 1997 build 996 has a three spoke sports steering wheel with a silver Porsche crescent. Later models are all colored. Is that silver one original? When was it delivered and on which cars??
Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A big thankyou GH996, hope you enjoy the guide

Volkert - Nice to hear from you, the Sports Steering wheel was an option, if this was fitted to your car new from the factory it "should" be on your VIL sticker. (Note - Porsche did supply a number with the silver crest, but they are rather rare compared to the coloured crest - yours is likely to be a genuine item, I would share an image on this forum under your own post and see how many others share the same finish)
On page 104 of the guide we tell you where you can find the 996 parts catalogue for download. This is a great source of information and not only features the parts (with model year reference, steering wheel parts are on page 142) it also has a list of the options and VIL codes on page 609 (including various steering wheels). With Porsche there are always the odd quirks/variances with spec's/VIL codes and this can make it difficult to drill down into every minor variance with every option over every single model year. I'm please to give you (& the guys above) the direct link to one of two 996 parts catalogues, so you can do some further research with your VIL label and the steering wheels detailed. It's all part of the fun in owning a Porsche, researching and learning more about your own personal slice of Pork.
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...96_KATALOG.pdf

Last edited by Definitive Porsche Guides; 09-06-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:04 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92

*runs to car*

BOOK SOLD.

@Definitive Porsche Guides: Thanks for coming to 996 world, this is cool.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LOL Dr Strangelove - that really tickled me
Old 09-11-2017, 06:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi All, apologies for bumping this post, but I wanted to let those that have already kindly purchased the guide (thanks ) know how you can automatically receive any updates for your 996 book.
We have made a number of small useful additions since launch and this should allow you get the latest copy without thinking about it.
Amazon tell us this is the best way to receive any/all updates for the guide completely free and automatically. ....
This should work on Kindle Devices and Kindle apps on iPad/PC/Mac. Let me know how you get on (A way to check this is - we have added an extra page and also additional comment on IMS/Bore Scoring pg 115/116, check before and after update).

Turn Automatic Book Updates On or Off
You can choose whether or not to receive updates automatically for your Kindle books. With this setting enabled, books on your devices will receive the latest version with corrections and improvements when it becomes available from the publisher or author.

In order to preserve your reading progress, bookmarks, notes, highlights and annotations across different versions of books, make sure that all of your Kindle devices and reading apps have Annotations Backup or Whispersync for Books turned on. For more information, go to
Back Up Your Bookmarks, Notes & Highlights Back Up Your Bookmarks, Notes & Highlights
Note: Annotations Backup is enabled automatically and can't be turned off on Fire tablets.
To enable or disable Automatic Book Updates: Log into your Amazon account, under "Account" in the top bar select-
Go to
Manage Your Content and Devices Manage Your Content and Devices
  1. Select the Settings tab (high up on the main screen, then scroll down to find the below -).
  2. Under Automatic Book Update, select On or Off. Note: If you select Off, you will no longer receive book updates automatically. In some cases when an author or publisher requests it, you may receive an email notification when an update is available to download.

Last edited by Definitive Porsche Guides; 09-11-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive Kindle guide to 996 series 911