Sponsored by:

Foggy LEDs ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 PM
dimon777
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foggy LEDs ?

Hello, i am new to this forum and ive been here a few times and the info i found and read was very helpful. Great forum !

I drive an 07 997tt 6 speed coupe . Well , DAILY drive. Love the car. GMG exhaust, Stage 1 flash , will hit stage 2 nxt week, stage 1 sach clutch.. My baby , just did last week all coils and spark plugs ( UGH HORRIBLE)

hope someone can help and give me a suggestion ..

The issue i am having is i installed the led bulbs in the LED "city lights" the corner bulb in the turn signal marker ..

I put them in and the same day hit a pretty big rain storm on the way home. The next morning when i came up to the car i saw that the corner of the led marker where the new led bulbs are ,looks foggy. I waited 3 days and it did not go away, now i am starting to think that the inside of the plastic might be burnt ? But that wouldn't be possible, it does not heat up that hot.

Has anyone experienced or ever heard of this happening ? Any way to fix or cover ? Those little things always bother me. Those led markers are $250 a pop, thatll be a shame if my $5 bulbs messed them up . I am attaching a picture to show. Thank you in advance !

Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you live somewhere like myself with lovely humidity levels? Any water getting into any light fixture will do this and its an easy enough fix. Remove the part, pull the covering off, clean with water, cue tip of rubbing alcohol across the areas you saw buildup, reinstall. Alcohol will absorb any moisture and the heat from the bulbs will quickly evaporate the trace amount of alcholhol. H Peroxide will do the same thing. As it burns off it should actually create a light air gap effect pulling tiny spaces closer together stopping it from happening agin.
I dont know anything about chemistry or if this helped more than just cleaning and setting aside to dry. I didnt know what to do and thought back a long time ago when i would get swimmers ear. little bit of those and i could hear the water being absorbed and the byproduct has a natural property to convert itself from a liquid state. Take it for that - maybe highly insightful, maybe nonsense but i can say my lights look amazing all around since

Quick Reply: Foggy LEDs ?