Sponsored by:

White vs Black Instrument Dials, Black Interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default White vs Black Instrument Dials, Black Interior

This has been discussed before on RL, but would appreciate comments from folks who have a black interior, and either all black or all white dials (incl SC dial). Car is on order and I have some time to make changes. This selection is about the last hurdle in nailing down options. Exterior color is Carmine Red, on a 2018 991.2 C2S.

From what I have read the biggest negatives for white dials are the black cutouts for idiot lights as well as the display screen to the right of the tach being mostly black and maybe looking a little odd. Positive is white dials provide contrast in an all black interior.

Biggest negative for all black dials is it could be somewhat blah with an all black interior. Positive is it gets rid info the silver tach face and blends well with the rest of the interior.

Could also go with black dials with white on the SC face only.

Comments and other perspectives welcome. Having a difficult time with this one. Thanks

Last edited by flickroll; 07-28-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered the white dials on a Cayenne. Did not really investigate much about how they really looked. Upon delivery I was disappointed with all the black cutouts. Have stayed away from them since then.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I didn't think you could get a black tach face anymore (save for maybe on the GTS), no? I love the all black dials on my .1 and would spec it on my next car if it were available. Looks properly old school.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I didn't think you could get a black tach face anymore (save for maybe on the GTS), no? I love the all black dials on my .1 and would spec it on my next car if it were available. Looks properly old school.
On the S you can, not sure about the base. A box to check for ‘Instrument Dials in Black’. All that option really does is replace the silver tach with a black one as everything else is black anyway. A big positive about that option is the cost is $0.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I should have ordered white dials.

IMO, there are just too many dashboard dials to begin with. A lot of info going on there, much of it unnecessary. I don't even know what some of them refer to and I ignore them.

Far right and far left dials are hard enough to see just because of their position. Black makes them even harder for me to make out. If you're really interested in everything going on displayed on the dashboard, all the time, then I'd check out white.

Personally, I could care less about coordinating dial colors with the seats. I just want to be able to see immediately what the dial says, particularly, when I'm driving.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have all white dials with black leather and although the contrast with the black leather is nice, I prefer the apearrance of black dials because everything is just more contrasted and easier to see than on the white dials. If you make just your sport Chrono dial a contrasting color that may be the best option.
Having said that, I don't mind the white dials, specifically I don't dislike them. I just prefer black now after having both. All black seems just a touch richer in comparison.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silver tach is impossible to read wearing sunglasses.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 AM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the 2-tone garnet red/black interior (so black dash) with all gauges in white. The white gauges are one of my favorite aspects of the interior.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have white gauges. Happy with them. When I see the gray / black gauges they look a bit plain in comparison. Personally, I would go with red but I know many dont like them... red gauges w red belts.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I have black exterior with black interior and struggled with the same decision. Truly no wrong answer.

I went with the stock black dials and have no regrets. I loved the white, but hatred seeing all of the cutouts. (Once I noticed it the first time, that's all I notice when I look at them now.)

I went with yellow seat belts to match brake calipers (and I would have gone red if I had the red calipers). They look great. It gives the interior a great contrast, but not "too" much IMHO.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:40 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 991.2 S with the silver tach. If I'd ordered, I would have specced "instrument dials in black" without question. The silver tach is a bit trickier to see in some light conditions but it's not something that bothers me at all so far (2 months in).

I couldn't handle all the cutouts on the white dials. Not for me. I also don't care for the way those white dials clash with the dark multi-function display. Just my opinion...
Old 07-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer white, has a laboratory instrument style I very like. But I dont want to pay extra for it.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:21 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have owned black, silver, white and red. Standard dials are the best. Don't pay extra for anything except maybe a sport chrono dial.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered my C4S with the Black Dial option because I knew that the Silver caused visibilty problems.
This car is my DD. The other dial options catch your eye but then you have to live with them.
I have all Black interior with the trim Black leather covered also because I wanted minimal distractions in the interior.
I have a Mexico Blue Boxster with Mexico Blue interior trim, it's a great looker but for the C4S i wanted the interior subdued. I did order Carmine Red Vent Trim for just a little interior color.
I could not be happier!-Richard
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2017, 08:18 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone with white dials on their 991.2 post a pic? I"d like to see these cutouts and the builder doesn't show them. I am considering white dials for my GT3.

Quick Reply: White vs Black Instrument Dials, Black Interior