Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol.
This is gonna be good.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to ignore the people with thousands of track hours of testing data, plus the builder(s) and techs that have decades of experience with the m96. What I'm going to do is trust a gumby with a keyboard and an ability to post articles for compensation of around $50/article. Because that's what a rigorous & conscientious person would do.
The following users liked this post:
rennlistherr (04-01-2021)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:31 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

"Blackstone implies JG DT40 is a waste of $"

I might have missed it but I did not see Joe Gibbs DT40 mentioned in this article at all. Can you link to the reference?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Correct but -
See my headline "IMPLIES"
See the article headline "Expensive oil........ JG DT40 qualifies.
I was not brave enough to mention Mobil 1 cited in the test - fearing retribution from the M1 fan boys.
Just Rennlist Click bait and fun ! Enjoy.
Blackstone is not the best source anyway- just read their Employee reviews !
Source document here:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/News...uly-1-2017.php
To be fair ,the Subaru engine comparison used is somewhat(?) similar to the M96. And no other UOA company has offered such info ,so kudos to Blackstone for offering this.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 07-26-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:47 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh it's expensive all right. I estimate a 50 HP increase, at the headlights, and 100 ft lb torque increase, at the radio, as measured by my "I.H.I." beer goggles meter.

Half the cost of DT40 is for the oil. The other half pays for the feeling of superiority that wraps me in a warm embrace every time I see a quart of Mobil1, which is priceless.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jalopnik is the huffing post of automotive journalism...liberal garbage, who's primary blog got shut down by Hulk Hogan. All those writers ended up trying to fill the the toilet of its spin off sites.

By their account unless you drive a tesla, Ford Focus, or a Honda Civic all other cars are inferior. Anything that jalopnik puts up is millennial garbage.

huffington post hasn't even mentioned the latest DNC IT guy arrest
Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

The report is from Blackstone. Doesn't anyone RTFA anymore?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Oh it's expensive all right. I estimate a 50 HP increase, at the headlights, and 100 ft lb torque increase, at the radio
Based on feedback from the Saab community, DT40 is almost enough to compete against the Viggen. So that's likely 30-45whp gain when measured at the exhaust camshaft on bank 1.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Blackstone implies JG DT40 is a waste of $

Wow, I did NOT get that from the very interesting article. That statement is kind of a stretch.

A couple of points-
  • Comparing apples to sides of beef : The article isn't talking about racing oil that you are supposed to change out after track day or after no more than 1000 miles. The apparent target of this thread is very clear on what he is recommending Joe Gibbs DT40 for. None of which includes taking my kids on a PCA tour where we never break the speed limit. It is also not talking about track conditions. So your title, while a wonderful troll post that will be beautiful to watch grow and blossom into a 10 page thread, is disingenuous. I don't think it adds anything to the forum besides entertainment.
    • It doesn't mention that oil specifically or any of the oil being used in anything other than daily driver conditions. Once again, comparing apples to roofing nails.

A couple of more points-
    • They used science in the article. Science counts in this kind of stuff. I believe in the science more than anecdotal evidence from someone recommending a certain oil as the only thing that will keep a car from exploding.
    • The writers of the article don't mind mentioning the weak points in their research and what else there is to learn about it as they move forward. It is refreshing and easier to digest than "It's so because I say it is so because back in the day we filled up a Saturn V moon rocket with suntan lotion and used the exhaust to heat up tacos on the launch pad until it failed with mode of failure #86"

That being said, I enjoyed the article and the research and feel like I have gained some more knowledge on the subject. Now I wish they would do an article on the wear rates of 0w40 vs. 5w50 across all of the M96 engines that they have tested. Wouldn't that be an educational hoot!

Respectfully submitted,

Debo sends.
    Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM
    vitaminC
    Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Debo18D
    • They used science in the article. Science counts in this kind of stuff. I believe in the science more than anecdotal evidence from someone recommending a certain oil as the only thing that will keep a car from exploding.

Come on now, everyone knows that science is only to be believed if it supports your position.
    Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 PM
    Gulliver
    Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, everybody should know by now that ANY oil is a waste of money. I don't use it myself- never have. And, I'm sure there's others on here as well.
    Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM
    JTT
    Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Reading inferences is like going to fortune teller, you get what you want from it.
    Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 PM
    Flat6 Innovations
    Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

This comes from the oil analysis company that doesn't even include TBN and TAN values for their evaluations in the base price. Those are two major considerations when I look at any UOA report.

I've gathered my information from hands- on, direct testing. That means building things only for the purpose of testing oil. Lake Speed has just finished a 7,700 mile trip in the Driven Boxster and after that the TBN level of the oil is still enough to pop a purple result on the testing strips that we use in the field.

No other oil company that I know of bought a Porsche with the sole purpose of continuing the development of their product, and they damn sure didn't drive it cross country and back to Porsche Parade. He even won the Autocross at Parade in that car, with our engine! Yes, that little 2.5 Boxster spanked every single car there.

We build engines, measure them going together, then punish them, and tear them down and measure them again. Thats how DT40 was developed. You can't develop anything, any other way in my direct experience.

They can say what they want. Their last newsletter of any substance said that a magnetic drain plug was also a wasted effort. Thats just plain stupid for an M96 engine, where the oil filter is located AFTER the oil pump, meaning that any debris caught in the sump by a magnetic drain plug is helping to protect the oil pump. Thats aside from it being a great indicator of wear.

Now, all that said, a lot of the oils with a lesser anti- wear package can get away with it because they use a lower grade detergency package, too. This is the "rest of the story" that they didn't mention.
    Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM
    Cuda911
    Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh goody, another oil thread.

Quick Reply: Blackstone implies JG DT40 is a waste of $