ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Better phone mount?

What are people using for their phone mounts? So far I've tried:

The Kenu Airframe:
Amazon Amazon

The Porsche 991/981 mount from T-Design: http://t-design9.com

I'm looking for something that's as close to the windshield/as safe as possible for navigation purposes. The Kenu Airframe is great in that respect, but it's pretty flimsy, doesn't stay put very well, and comes off when putting in a phone/taking it out. The T-Design mount holds on to the phone very well but ends up being a bit far away/difficult to quickly see, and I'm afraid it's not ideal for navigation purposes. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Works well for me.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Bubbabuzz (08-19-2020)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I normally use a different one from Rennline for my phone, but for a higher level mount that might work well for navigation I'm using this one to hold the phone on the windshield (for some recent testing where I needed the camera to see out of the car). Its sticky cup is amazingly strong and takes quite a pull to remove and the height, depth, and orientation is adjustable, just above the left vent. The design for the engagement of the phone is really cool, making it easy to mount/dismount the phone. The photos show it dash mounted but it windshield mounts just as well. Its not expensive either. The only possible downside is seeing the sticky cup's backside on the windshield... if that bothers you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZC262Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZC262Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted to the upper left of the steering wheel you an adjust it to a position just far enough back from the steering wheel to be out of the way but close enough for easy reading and interaction. Mounted in the center puts it further away and may not be as good for your use but worked well for taking video; there it holds the phone just a little closer than the sport chrono clock. And as with all Amazon things it is easy to return if you don't like it. It's very popular and highly reviewed, check the Amazon ratings.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM
911sTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Cheap and cheerful - fits on the passenger front vent, phone attaches flat against it with the strong magnet. Easy to see Waze. Have a black iPhone cable plugged into glove compartment and connected to the phone holder via a cable tie. Phone is easy to attach and detach. Much better than Kenu which I also had.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

Happy with T-design. Magnetic mounts are not as secure and can magnetize mechanical watches. The T-design, unlike a lot of the Amazon fare, is made for Porsche. It fits well, works well, and probably won't damage your interior. The Rennline mount is also nice if you can live with a magnetic mount.

Cheers,
NF
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I got the Rennline for my Macan GTS and love it. Have one ordered now for my 991S. The Rennline replaced my Kenu Airframes which now have been relegated to other cars. The two advantages, for me, are the fast one-hand on/off of the magnet base and no blocking of the vents. The Kenu, though, is a clean solution which works fine.
Scott O'Connor (09-11-2021)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I normally use a different one from Rennline for my phone, but for a higher level mount that might work well for navigation I'm using this one to hold the phone on the windshield (for some recent testing where I needed the camera to see out of the car). Its sticky cup is amazingly strong and takes quite a pull to remove and the height, depth, and orientation is adjustable, just above the left vent. The design for the engagement of the phone is really cool, making it easy to mount/dismount the phone. The photos show it dash mounted but it windshield mounts just as well. Its not expensive either. The only possible downside is seeing the sticky cup's backside on the windshield... if that bothers you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZC262Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted to the upper left of the steering wheel you an adjust it to a position just far enough back from the steering wheel to be out of the way but close enough for easy reading and interaction. Mounted in the center puts it further away and may not be as good for your use but worked well for taking video; there it holds the phone just a little closer than the sport chrono clock. And as with all Amazon things it is easy to return if you don't like it. It's very popular and highly reviewed, check the Amazon ratings.
Curious does the sticky bottom leaves a mark or is it permanent on the dashboard. It mentions sticky gel and concern about the heat may make it unable to remove. Otherwise looks like a nice product
Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
Curious does the sticky bottom leaves a mark or is it permanent on the dashboard. It mentions sticky gel and concern about the heat may make it unable to remove. Otherwise looks like a nice product
If you use the dashboard mounting option, it comes with a disc with an adhesive backing pad its own sticky gel that you attach to the dash and then the sticky cup mounts to the face of the disc. I wouldn't really recommend doing this on our cars, especially if it is a leather dash. I just attached it to the windshield. For me it is just temporary when I'm doing instrumented videos.

On the windshield, it is the stickiest sticky-mount I have even seen... almost too much so. It is almost glued to the windshield and takes some effort to remove. It is a solid mount overall though and I don't think it will ever fall off!

Last edited by StormRune; 07-25-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Corrected struck through text: It appears it is a actually a gel pad too
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
Happy with T-design. Magnetic mounts are not as secure and can magnetize mechanical watches. The T-design, unlike a lot of the Amazon fare, is made for Porsche. It fits well, works well, and probably won't damage your interior. The Rennline mount is also nice if you can live with a magnetic mount.

Cheers,
NF
+1

T-Design will make you an iPad mini holder.-Richard
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

+1 for T-design. Extremely easy install, very sturdy and convenient.

I don't use a case on my iPhone, and I'm not interested in sticking magnetic plates on it for the various magnetic designs.

BTW - having a strong magnet so close to your phone's internals is likely not doing favors to the electronics inside it. Particularly the NAND storage:

https://superuser.com/questions/3386...magnetic-force
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rennline

Originally Posted by BradB
I got the Rennline for my Macan GTS and love it. Have one ordered now for my 991S. The Rennline replaced my Kenu Airframes which now have been relegated to other cars. The two advantages, for me, are the fast one-hand on/off of the magnet base and no blocking of the vents. The Kenu, though, is a clean solution which works fine.
I purchased the Rennline upper mount. Love it. Blocks the closest cup holder to the driver, but i never used it anyway. Really close to the glove box power connection.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5

BTW - having a strong magnet so close to your phone's internals is likely not doing favors to the electronics inside it. Particularly the NAND storage:

https://superuser.com/questions/3386...magnetic-force
I have not experienced this or even heard of it. Your reference does not mention mobile phones. In fact mine says "Safe On Your Device:
Tackform Solutions Magnetic Phone Holder has been tested and proven to be safe for all smartphones and GPS devices. The magnetic mount will safely mount your cell phone or GPS devices within your car.".

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

When I first started using my Rennline phone mount, I might have experienced some magnetic interference. Periodically, the phone display would go crazy with the characters appearing 20 times normal size, rendering the phone unusable. Simply restarting the phone always eliminated the problem.

When this happened, I had the steel plate to which the magnet attached, sandwiched between the back of the phone and a soft silicon phone case. Since then, I have mounted the plate to the outside of a hard plastic case that I use with this mount. Moving the plate about 1mm away from the phone completely eliminated the interference problem, if that is what I experienced earlier.
Scott O'Connor (09-11-2021)
Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I have not experienced this or even heard of it. Your reference does not mention mobile phones.
Mobile phones use NAND storage.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Mobile phones use NAND storage.
I still need better reference than internet poster says bad for phones.

Quick Reply: Better phone mount?