Sponsored by:

Speed Tech X-Pipe Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Speed Tech X-Pipe Initial Review

So I picked up a speed tech 3.0 "Loud" version off the classifieds with 200 cell cats. Haven't logged a ton of miles but thought I'd share my initial impressions.

It is LOUD for sure and I think accurately described on their website. It does drone in certain RPM ranges. The turbo sound is awesome and quite pronounced. When you step on it this thing really screams. You aren't going to sneak up on anyone with this. Just idling it's very loud.

So far I like it, this system would probably not be suited for daily driver duty, but for a weekend fun car I think it's perfect. Maybe in 6months I will be singing g a different tune.

My shop techs joked with me and said to just leave the OEM exhaust at the shop so I don't have to drag it back and forth when I get tired of this loud setup.

It seems a bit more responsive, but it could just be since there is all of this sounds associated with the throttle that it just seems that way.

Another thing I noticed, which again not sure if this is really valid but the clutch seems to have more feel now, maybe that isn't quite right but the clutch seems easier to use now with a louder exhaust. It's kind of like with the louder exhaust you know what the car is doing when stepping on the gas - that and the amount of vibrations going thru the car, I just feel like I know what is going on now in terms of clutch feel and engagement. Probably all in my head but that's what it seemed like to me.

Here is a cold start, I plan on taking some more videos in the future.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:51 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I've had the same Speedtech 3" xpipe with 200 cell cats installed for exactly a year now - I've yet to hear another 997TT that sounds better. John and his team @ Speedtech hit the target bang on with the catted 3" xpipe IMO.

It certainly isn't quiet (they make a separate quiet version of this exact xpipe) but it's no where near as loud as some of the catless setups I've heard. I had a catted FVD exhaust before this and it was louder than the speedtech (and sounded like crap IMO compared to the xpipe design).

Enjoy, you will get used to the sound level and you'll never get tired of hearing the turbos spool up; especially when you're driving in a wooded area with lots of trees & leaves reflecting the sound waves back at you.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by cstyles
I've had the same Speedtech 3" xpipe with 200 cell cats installed for exactly a year now - I've yet to hear another 997TT that sounds better. John and his team @ Speedtech hit the target bang on with the catted 3" xpipe IMO.

It certainly isn't quiet (they make a separate quiet version of this exact xpipe) but it's no where near as loud as some of the catless setups I've heard. I had a catted FVD exhaust before this and it was louder than the speedtech (and sounded like crap IMO compared to the xpipe design).

Enjoy, you will get used to the sound level and you'll never get tired of hearing the turbos spool up; especially when you're driving in a wooded area with lots of trees & leaves reflecting the sound waves back at you.
Yeah I think there is a little bit of an adjustment period, first day I drove it around I was a little on the fence because it's just shockingly loud compared to stock, 2nd and 3rd day I was just enjoying it.

Drove thru a long tunnel last night, I had some fun with that...
Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles

Which FVD exhaust did you have?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had my catless Speedtech 3.0 Xpipe system for 3 months now and at cold start up, it is extremely loud. I live in a town home complex where the garages face each other and the homes are 3 stories high. This amplifies the cold start up significantly to the point where I try to get out of the complex as quick as possible to try to be respectful. I'm assuming that cold start video is catless as it sounds exactly like mine.

With that said, once the car warms up, it is exactly how the car should sound. I'll need to record some drive by videos this week.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by HardHitter
I'm assuming that cold start video is catless as it sounds exactly like mine.
No I've got 200 cell cats on this setup. When I had it installed one of the guys at the shop said it was going to be loud, and I argued that I was going with the cats(I have bypass pipes as well) and he said 200 cell cats are not going to do much to quiet it down.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM
theplings
Racer

Dup

Last edited by theplings; 07-25-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Dup
Old 07-25-2017, 03:38 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Very good to hear, this is the setup I would like to go with if I pull the trigger on the Turbo. Catless/no muffler 3in race pipe with 3 in tips and most likely Kevin's(he is AWESOME to talk and has answered my 50 million annoying questions without hesitation) tune at UMW.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by USNA12
Very good to hear, this is the setup I would like to go with if I pull the trigger on the Turbo. Catless/no muffler 3in race pipe with 3 in tips and most likely Kevin's(he is AWESOME to talk and has answered my 50 million annoying questions without hesitation) tune at UMW.
I went for a ride in someone's decatted 3" speed tech - the main difference I would say is it's more "raw" - you get more cracks and pops on deceleration than you do with the catted version I have. Oh and he said it also shoots flames!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:06 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

No...it cant. That would be too cool. I cant have an exhaust that sounds like that and shoots flames! Sounds like my Ducati's before they were tuned...
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds good man! Miss the sound and spool for sure with this setup.

If you want the more rawness, remove the cats (with a tune) and really listen to the spooling sound.

Sellers remorse is on my end for sure. My current stock setup is just downright wrong on this car.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
No I've got 200 cell cats on this setup. When I had it installed one of the guys at the shop said it was going to be loud, and I argued that I was going with the cats(I have bypass pipes as well) and he said 200 cell cats are not going to do much to quiet it down.
I'm quite surprised how cats did not change how loud the initial cold start up is. I will probably end up adding cats sooner or later because of smog out here in CA, but I don't need to smog until 2 more years. Good to know!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG this brings back the nightmare of a 3" exhaust.... so glad I got rid of my old set up. The drone and constant headache was beyond bearable
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
OMG this brings back the nightmare of a 3" exhaust.... so glad I got rid of my old set up. The drone and constant headache was beyond bearable
Did you daily your car when you had your 3" exhaust?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skyak
Which FVD exhaust did you have?
The 200 cell catted 'loud' version. It was a crossover design, instead of an x-pipe like from Speedtech. I believe that's why there was such a difference in sound. The x-pipe sound is much more pleasing to my ear.

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Have you heard the catted 3" speedtech x-pipe in person, or driven in a car with one installed? I have done several road trips in my car now, including a 3000 mile tour, and while you can certainly hear the exhaust it most definitely isn't overbearing enough to cause discomfort or headaches...

Quick Reply: Speed Tech X-Pipe Initial Review