Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping the front end experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wrapping the front end experiences?

Hi all, interested in you guys experience of wrapping the front end, clear wrap to avoid damage of paint.
Any of you gone non wrapped?
What is a reasonable price to do this at porsche auth dealer?
If its done anywhere else, whats good to keep in mind?
Thankful for advice!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:59 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Lots of variables on cost. Mainly the product you plan to use....do some research and make an informed decision

And I would absolutely wrap the front end.....
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

If you plan on tracking (especially in the "fast" group with lots of like minded R compound/slick tire users) I would wrap the ENTIRE car.
I have front bumper, hood, front fenders, door sills, mirror caps on my GT3 and it still get molten rubber all over the roof, doors and in front of the rear wheel wells, which has the crappy OEM film that is impossible to get rubber off.

In my GT4 I have all of the above and the area in front and behind the rear wheels as well as rocker panel...better, but still the roof and door areas get covered in tire clag.

I will do the entire car when ( if ??) I get my .2RS

rear bumper is the only safe place not to cover, but if you run catless exhaust is covered with unburnt fuel and dirt also, so might as well do that too.

Windsheild is also an area to cover as it gets sandblasted after heated track use. Also, irrespective of track use, bugs collect all over the front bumper on highway trips at speed

YMMV
Old 07-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Alright, I'll be the devils advocate here.

I don't like wraps. It's like wrapping your living room furniture in clear vinyl so they don't get worn.

I just traded in my C4S for a GT3.2 allocation. Bought the C4S new, and considered and then discarded the idea of a clear bra/wrap. I considered it poor taste, tacky even. I tracked the car heavily. Sure, molten rubber got all over the car. Got those off with TLC and the right cleaners. Yes, there were a few stone chips in the front bumper. Even had to replace the windshield twice for stone damage. But I cringe at the idea of a plastic wrap on my incoming GT3. Tacky to the extreme. Just my opinion, y'all.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would source a local business who specializes in clear bra and wraps. The dealers sub-contract the work. The result is an application that is pre-cut, unknown quality, and high priced.

Visually I am not a fan of the clear bra but I prefer it over the patina of a chipped up front end.

- Chris.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting

I don't like wraps. It's like wrapping your living room furniture in clear vinyl so they don't get worn.

I just traded in my C4S for a GT3.2 allocation. Bought the C4S new, and considered and then discarded the idea of a clear bra/wrap. I considered it poor taste, tacky even. I tracked the car heavily. Sure, molten rubber got all over the car. Got those off with TLC and the right cleaners. Yes, there were a few stone chips in the front bumper. Even had to replace the windshield twice for stone damage. But I cringe at the idea of a plastic wrap on my incoming GT3. Tacky to the extreme. Just my opinion, y'all.
Hard to find tacky when you can not even notice it if done by a true professional.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:13 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Did a paint correction on my LO RS. Then had XPEL Ultimate put on entire car. You won't even know it's there. Hardly tacky. And recently replaced it on my 997 RS. Paint under XPEL was good as new. Lot easier to replace than painting. Wish my entire 997RS was protected from the beginning.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I wouldn't even consider a car which hasn't been clear-wrapped. Why not keep the paint perfect?.. with all the cars out there to choose from, the one with stone chips or paint issues just has no appeal. Just don't do it via the dealer, then you're just asking to overpay.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Does anybody use the search function anymore? RL feels like groundhog day lately.

OP, wraps are good or bad, depending upon your perspective.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting

I don't like them, either. I like looking at well kept paint, not plastic wrapping. And in my experience on 'regular' Porsches wrapping is not worth the investment. But with the current mentality of Porsche GT cars being profit centers, I understand the obsession.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Imv this is a must. I drove mine for a couple of days without and tried to keep a distance from other cars and still ended up with a couple of bad chips. Seems like cars have water paint these days. I did bonnet, fenders, mirrors and wing and that works great. Cost me about $2000.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:28 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Why is it common doing the half hood??
Old 07-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Why is it common doing the half hood??
Cheaper but now this looks tacky because you can notice the line where it ends across hood
Old 07-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Do it if you plan to track it. I will say around 2 000 Euro för front, hood, front fenders, mirrors and extended protection to the rear fenders.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Did a paint correction on my LO RS. Then had XPEL Ultimate put on entire car. You won't even know it's there. Hardly tacky. And recently replaced it on my 997 RS. Paint under XPEL was good as new. Lot easier to replace than painting. Wish my entire 997RS was protected from the beginning.
Actually... Great point.

If you have the car paint corrected prior to installing the clear bra it will be less noticeable. The clear bra picks up any imperfections on the paint.

- Chris

Quick Reply: Wrapping the front end experiences?