Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pickup experience: what will they try to sell me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 AM
Seabeast
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pickup experience: what will they try to sell me?

If all goes well with the shipping schedule, I'll be picking up my new 911 from the dealership in about a month (8/25). This is my first Porsche.

My question is: what will they try to sell me when I come in to sign the papers and pick up my new baby? Extended warranty? Prepaid maintenance? Paint Protection Film? Underbody coating? Ginsu knives? Is any of it worth considering, either from the dealership or from a third party?

My most recent new-car purchase was a Tesla, and that was great: they gave me info on some things I could buy if I wanted, such as extended warranty, but nothing had to be purchased that day, and thus no pressure at all. I left very happy.

My prior purchase was a MINI Cooper, and there I got the high-pressure sales pitch for a confusing variety of extended warranty and maintenance plan variations. I ended up buying one, which I later wished I hadn't. I had thought I was prepared, but the salesguy was a pro and quickly mixed up the options to foil my planning. It wasn't really a bad deal, but the experience and regret kind of sullied what should have been a great day.

I'm expecting (hoping) the Porsche experience will be more Tesla and less MINI, but figured I'd ask my experienced new friends here.

-Brett

P.S. If it's relevant, I'm in the Bay Area in California, and my car config is PJ2AVS61. It'll be a daily driver, maybe 8K miles/year. And my wife tells me I'll be keeping it for at least 100 years, give or take.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Every car I have bought I just say "don't touch it, here is a check, give me the keys, have a nice day."
Old 07-21-2017, 02:52 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Seabeast
what will they try to sell me when I come in to sign the papers and pick up my new baby? Extended warranty? Prepaid maintenance? Paint Protection Film? Underbody coating? Ginsu knives?
The first 3 in your list, for sure. I bought the XPEL PPF from the dealer - probably paid a little more, but they did a nice job.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:54 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

They will present options to you, which you can politely decline.
All of that stuff can be purchased later (dealer or aftermarket) if you still want it. Best not to get that while you are bedazzled by your new car.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They pushed the pre-paid maintenance on me the hardest but I wouldn't give it.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing you want is to have the entire front end clear wrapped.
Refuse all else! No partial aka 'Bra'.
But be sure to do your research on who, how and where you have the wrap.
What you don't want is someone driving your car in an unauthorized manner.
My Dealership has a contractor come in and do the wrap at the Dealership. Their work is excellent and maybe a little more, but no problems with two cars so far..
The front hood is alumnium and softer than steel and will pick up a gouge easier than steel. Ask me how i know!
Avoid the tire dressing as it looks nice but will be gone soon.
I don't let them do anything other than a hand wash.-Richard
BTW when you car arrives and while they are prepping, get the Owners manual and read, making detailed questions and notes on how to configure the car with the SA.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 AM
*991*
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 95 Posts

Just remember the dealer is not your buddy and it is his/her job to sell u as much extra add on bs as they can. They make as much or more from sales of add ons as they do from sale of the car. If there is something extra that u do want always ask for the dealers cost for item they wont give you that but they will take money off.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:21 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm normally up front with any car that I buy and say 'no thanks, i never make an on the spot decision like this, i wont buy anything'. Usually that doesn't stop them giving me the full pitch.

Porsche in my experience is just like buying most other cars in terms of the 'big sell' that happens at delivery.

Paint protection is the one thing you should very seriously consider. At the dealer if you have researched who will do it and you get a decent price. Immediately after you drive it away otherwise.

Having said all of that I did add a tire/rim protect/replace option and extended maintenance package when my wife got an X5 recently....for $20/month I couldn't work out how they were able to offer it. One puncture and a chipped rim and I'm in the money.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Stuff they wanted to sell me:

Tire / wheel protection insurance.
Extended warranty.
Paint protection film.

Paint protection film makes a good amount of sense if you're keeping the car for several years. Re-sprays for rock chips are pricey, and when you eventually sell, some buyers have a problem with knowing the front fender or fenders have been resprayed.

I bought PPF from the dealer on my 991, and I regret it. Not because of the film, because they didn't do a good job installing it. A good shop will fold the edges around body panels so said edges aren't visible. The dealer's PPF contractor didn't.

Before buying PPF from a dealer, ask to see an example of prior work.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want any of the extras, negotiate. They have a lot of room to move on that stuff. If you're financing, it can be convenient to add those things on when you sign. Pre-paid maintenance just locks in current rates.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

F150 most likely. Otherwise, Silverado or Ram.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Shake head. Smile. Say "no". But get the LoJack.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I tell my sales rep to let the finance department know that I will not be interested in any "extras". When I picked up my 2017, the finance guy said "I am obligated to tell you about the "extras" but since you are not interested I have already declined these for you" Paperwork took 5 minutes and I was out. Like others have said, all this can be bought at a later date if you change your mind.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM
911sTO
Advanced

I wished they had offered me tint. It was actually a decent price ($350) and ended up going back so I could try a loaner.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Macan246
Advanced

I've gotten PPF on all my cars but leasing this one... worth getting still? What do you guys think? I have a GREAT guy who has done 5 of my cars in Chicago. Custom cuts each car. Problem is I moved now otherwise I would. Don't trust anyone else!

Quick Reply: Pickup experience: what will they try to sell me?