Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 AM
sbarbour
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET

Year: 2020
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Beetle
Mileage (numbers only please): 911
Color: All of them
Price (no $ sign please): $0
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): West
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Other
Stereo System: None

One year ago, lying in bed with 25 tabs open on my iPad, each with different sites listing Porsches for sale, I thought to myself, “There has to be a better way to do this.” Thus began my quest (obsession?) to create the most powerful Porsche search engine on the internet.

PCAR FINDER (pcarfinder.com) essentially does two things:
  • Aggregate Porsche listings from across the web
  • Augment those listings with additional information, such as the factory buildsheet content
Sidenote: If all you want is a buildsheet for a particular VIN, feel free to grab it using pcarbuildsheet.com. <-- this won't work for every VIN, but you might get lucky!

With the extra information stored on the vehicle record, it is then possible to search for vehicles using terms not found on the original listing. For example:
  • A search for ‘993’ will return 911s with model years between 1993 and 1998, even if the listing itself doesn’t indicate the vehicle is a 993.
  • A search for ‘P11’ (one option code for carbon bucket seats) will return listings whose build sheet contains the option code P11. Of course you could also search for the option code text if you prefer. The possibilities are many.
Another use for the site is to see the previous listings of a particular vehicle. Doing a search using the VIN is the best way to do this, as listings are consolidated into a single PCAR ID if the VIN is identical. The previous listings may contain interesting information, such as mileage, mods, and listing price. Listings can be seen by clicking on the dates on the left side of a vehicle record.

Sources

As of this writing, PCAR FINDER collects listings from the following sites:
  • Craigslist (all USA sites)
  • Porsche Dealerships (all 187 USA dealerships)
  • eBay
  • CarMax
  • AutoTrader (private party only)
  • Rennlist
  • Hemmings
  • Porsche Club of America (PCA)
  • Bring A Trailer
  • Edit: Classic Cars

I hope you enjoy the site! Welcome any/all feedback.

Scott

Edit: Advanced Features:
Results Grid Customization

Swipe for next/previous PCAR (super-handy on mobile and tablet)

Use quotation marks in any text field for an exact match

Buildsheet download from a listing

Buildsheet download from pcarbuildsheet.com

Last edited by sbarbour; 10-21-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow! This looks great! Looking now, thank you! -Dom
Old 08-11-2018, 10:40 AM
CGT77
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Need to add DuPont Registry as a source
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Huh? I don't follow at all.

To me this looks like a nice site that someone put some hard work into which is helpful for someone looking for a specific car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1088...iously-22.html

The moderators have shut down the most viewed thread on Rennlist.

Rennlist doesn't want enthusiasts helping each other out.

This whole classifieds post will be deleted shortly as well ..
Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

This seems like an awesome tool. I've got open tabs looking for cars on every device I own.

Thank you for creating this.

Was wondering why Autotrader is limited to private party only? Just curious.

Any plans to include Pelican or 6speedonline classifieds?

Looking forward to using it.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:17 PM
sbarbour
Instructor

Great ideas, folks. Yes - I have a long list of additional sources to be added. As with anything, it's all about priority - but your votes on which are most important sure do help.

As for Rennlist moderators, I cleared this post with one of them prior to be sure I wasn't in violation of any rules. The mods here have been great, in my experience. I've been chatting with one for the entire year that this site has been in various stages of development.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

I agree with the others, this is an excellent tool! And thanks very much for doing something so pro-active and useful.

I do have one suggestion to improve the tool. Currently the Porsche USA site has a lot of old, obsolete listings - CPO cars which have been sold - so your tool shows them as viable cars.
An example is the GBM 2018 911 GTS at an LA-area Porsche dealer - it has been sold for two weeks yet still shows up on the Porsche USA site and on your tool.

Maybe, a since you have all 187 dealers tracked, you could check each search results with the dealer before displaying?

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:39 PM
sbarbour
Instructor

Originally Posted by catpat8000
I agree with the others, this is an excellent tool! And thanks very much for doing something so pro-active and useful.

I do have one suggestion to improve the tool. Currently the Porsche USA site has a lot of old, obsolete listings - CPO cars which have been sold - so your tool shows them as viable cars.
An example is the GBM 2018 911 GTS at an LA-area Porsche dealer - it has been sold for two weeks yet still shows up on the Porsche USA site and on your tool.

Maybe, a since you have all 187 dealers tracked, you could check each search results with the dealer before displaying?

Anyway, thanks again.
Yeah, if it's still up on the dealership's site, I'm considering it as a "Current" (active) listing. Curious how I would double-check with the dealership on each listing..?

Also, if you have questions on a specific vehicle on PCAR FINDER, feel free to reference the PCAR ID - this is a unique identifier on each vehicle. Each PCAR ID, of course, can have multiple listings on it. This ID is found in the PCAR DATA section on the detail page, or in the URL. 6 alphanumeric digits.

Appreciate your feedback/idea!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:37 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Pulls some double listings but they are fairly easy to spot. Found a few cars no longer for sale dead links. 2 from CL (no big surprise) one from AT (unusual) But all in all a useful tool. Really like the history feature. Good job.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:47 PM
sbarbour
Instructor

Originally Posted by JB 911
Pulls some double listings but they are fairly easy to spot. Found a few cars no longer for sale dead links. 2 from CL (no big surprise) one from AT (unusual) But all in all a useful tool. Really like the history feature. Good job.
Glad you found it useful! I'll send you a PM to collect details on the items mentioned. If a listing gets taken down before PCAR FINDER goes to check it again, then it'll appear dead, but shouldn't stay as "Current" on PCAR FINDER for long. Dupes definitely shouldn't occur if there's a VIN, since those are automatically merged. There's some other logic to automatically merge listings which have identical descriptions too but without a VIN (happens a lot on Craigslist when someone posts on multiple CL sites). If there's a way to catch more duplicate listings, would certainly like to do that.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 PM
GT3junkie
Track Day

Great tools! Thank you. I've bookmarked them.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by sbarbour
Yeah, if it's still up on the dealership's site, I'm considering it as a "Current" (active) listing. Curious how I would double-check with the dealership on each listing..?
Sorry I may not have been very clear. I found several examples of cars on the Porsche USA site which are not on the specific dealer sites any longer because they have been sold. The Porsche USA site seems to take weeks to update CPO inventory sometimes. So the check I am proposing is to compare every CPO listing that you are going to display against the dealer's site that is selling it. If the listing is not present on the dealer site, then don't display.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:40 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by catpat8000
Sorry I may not have been very clear. I found several examples of cars on the Porsche USA site which are not on the specific dealer sites any longer because they have been sold. The Porsche USA site seems to take weeks to update CPO inventory sometimes. So the check I am proposing is to compare every CPO listing that you are going to display against the dealer's site that is selling it. If the listing is not present on the dealer site, then don't display.
For example,
PCAR ID: 77F000

Thanks again
Old 08-11-2018, 03:23 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Awesome Scott love the updated version
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Idea. I recently developed a similar site for Porsche community with the same intention, To help ease the pain of finding a good car. It's listing site for Porsche and indy shops. So owners and potential buyers can find the resources in a single location.

Listing is free for all. and map based. Feel free to add my site as your source.
https://rennlist.com

Quick Reply: PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET