Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

AUTO-BLiP - Blips the Throttle on DOWNSHIFT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Category: Engine - Electrical
Price (no $ sign please): $390
Private or Vendor Listing: Vendor Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 986, 987, 996, 997, Cayman
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Brand New

This may be a stupid question but is there any way to configure this to work on an older Porsche like a 944?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by twk63
This may be a stupid question but is there any way to configure this to work on an older Porsche like a 944?
sorry, it only works with eGas or electric throttle models, 2000 onwards.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers

Last edited by RennKit-Dave; 08-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:09 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I connected the 2 throttle wires by cutting open the thick plastic cover holding all the throttle wires (see picture, it's coming up between the throttle and brake and is zip-tied together with aftermarket audio-cables), this way I didn't need to remove the throttle pedal.

Last edited by runet; 08-13-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Inserting picture
Old 08-13-2018, 09:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Having problems viewing that image inline... not sure why. Reposting it
Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^ same here.

Also... here is a note from our customer Brian, who got in on the group buy: "Second time using the auto-blip on track at Laguna Seca this weekend and I love it! Here is a video
I'm so happy with this product and wish I would have gotten it sooner.
"
Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 AM
mcarpani
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Great questions! Yes it is nearly plug and play. 3 T-Taps added to the clutch, brake and throttle wires - no cutting. I'm installing one this weekend (either my turbo or a friend's turbo). Which give me the idea to to video the whole process start to finish. I'm guessing 30 - 60 minutes if we take our time and video the whole thing.
Hi Dave...did you manage to install it? Any videos? Thanks...
Old 08-25-2018, 12:46 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Finally got the guts together to attempt my install. Wasn't nearly as bad as I had been dreading. Took a couple of hours, the T-connects worked well (you will need pliers to close them unless you have channel lock-like fingers), and I used the included jumpers to reach to accelerator pedal wires better. For anyone avoiding installing the unit because you are worried about getting to the wiring - it really isn't that bad. Push the seat fully back to make for a much easier install. Deciding where to locate the actual controller took me far more time. Ended up attaching to the underside of the kicker panel (immediately next to the center console wall) above where my right knee would be. Stays out of the way, and I can adjust the dials (or power on or off the unit) easily, but you cannot see the dial position or any of the indicator lights. No problem as I used the continuous power anyway, and I carry a small mirror if I need to inspect the status lights, or dial position. After my first drive to dial in the controls, I decided to try the upper clutch switch versus the originally connected lower clutch switch, as the response is just too slow even with the delay set at the minimum when connected to the lower switch. I will update how the change worked out later on this posting.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:00 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
Finally got the guts together to attempt my install. Wasn't nearly as bad as I had been dreading. Took a couple of hours...
Thanks for the post... I have a rare afternoon without anything committed, you just motivated me to head out to the garage and get started on it!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Deleting my last post with question on 996 Turbo wiring....

There is a separate set of instructions for the 996. Throttle pedal has remote encoder, wiring is different...

996 instructions: www.auto-blip.com/pdf/Porsche_1999_2004_v1_2.pdf

Last edited by pfbz; 08-26-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:03 PM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff. I want one for my 996 TT model 2003.
Does the seller ship to good old germany?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

OK, installed it and have used it on a few drives...

Definitely not as seamless as the Porsche OEM Sport-Chrono autoblip on 2013+ models, but still pretty cool and useful.

I used the lower clutch switch, and on my car, the clutch needs to go almost to the floor to trip the switch. I don't usually clutch that 'deep' on a shift, so I either need to 1) move to the upper clutch switch, 2) see if there is adjustment on the lower clutch switch?, or 3) retrain myself to go all the way in on the clutch when I want a blip, which might just be the best solution.

I'll also add that the throttle wiring where you need to place the T-connectors on a 996 are a major pain to get to. Stuffing myself into the foot well, I can pretty much only get my head and one hand in there so it was quite the trick to get the connectors on. If I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider removing the front seat completely. I'm a fairly big guy, perhaps somebody with smaller shoulders can get in there a bit easier.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-07-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cool

Originally Posted by pfbz
OK, installed it and have used it on a few drives... the T-connectors on a 996 are a major pain to get to. Stuffing myself into the wheel well, I can pretty much only get my head and one hand in there so it was quite the trick to get the connectors on. If I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider removing the front seat completely. I'm a fairly big guy, perhaps somebody with smaller shoulders can get in there a bit easier.
CONGRATULATIONS! It is a pain, but was lucky to have a 19 year old helper put the T-Taps in on my friend's turbo. I was hoping to put my AUTO-BLiP in while the seats were out for a GT3 seat conversion. May still take drivers out to put this in, will have to see. Next job after the Big rotor and studs, then boost leak repairs on my 7TT. Two turbos - neither on the road at the moment. Lucky to have a backup - 987.2 Cayman S
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Great stuff. I want one for my 996 TT model 2003.
Does the seller ship to good old germany?
We sure do! Find the AUTO-BLiP here: www.rennkit.com/purchase (scroll down a bit).
Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
May still take drivers out to put this in, will have to see...
I think the 997's are a fair bit easier to do as the throttle encoder is at the gas pedal on the later gen cars, easier to tap into either at the pedal or where the wires exit the pedal.

The 996 has this kind of funky hybrid setup where the throttle pedal is completely mechanical, and a physical throttle cable runs a foot or two into the nether regions under the dash where the encoder is and it gets converted to digital... Those are by far the hardest wires to get to. The other tip is to spend the extra time it takes to remove the under-dash air ducting. It's possible to do it without removing them, but you'll save more time in the long run removing them.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Metcalfe
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed my Autoblip but it isn't working. I used the top switch for the clutch and all of the lights on the display work as they should when I depress each pedal. Is it possible that the system won't work in conjunction with my SprintBooster??

Quick Reply: AUTO-BLiP - Blips the Throttle on DOWNSHIFT!