Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

FS: Used 996 GT3 Cup heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 AM
IrocMan
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FS: Used 996 GT3 Cup heads

Category: Engine - Intake/Fuel
Price (no $ sign please): $1800
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 996, 997
Location (Region): NorCal
Item Condition: Used

Hi folks,
I've stored these for about 10 years and it's pretty obvious I will no longer track older Porsche at least before a while, so I'll be selling another set of race parts for 993 and 996.

Here's a pair of 996 Cup heads. Note that the cups heads were different, they're the Motorsport (Made In France) with shorter bronze guides; engines commonly delivered 415 hp with stock cams. I don't think Cups/RS were imported in the US (I brought it when I moved from Europe). I believe Porsche standardized the design of these cup heads to become stock ones for the 'regular' 997 GT3.

About these particular heads:
Engine was running perfectly however we discovered one exhaust port had been heated, as the team was performing a yearly rebuild (Cups were typically re-hauled every 30 to 50 hours, which is about a year of races).
Engine obviously got hot on cylinder 3 (if I recall well) as we could see oil was cooked on exhaust valve guides. So we removed both heads and got them checked. It was said they were overall good but one needed work as the head has a crack right under the valve seat.
We were short on time so decided to replace both heads with spare ones and the plan was to install brass seats on these. However years passed, car was gone and I kept the heads.
I realize the one picture of the crack I tried to take is blurry and worthless. I'll post a better one. It should really be fixed for peace of mind anyway. I didn't polish the cooked oil on guides so it's loyal to what the condition is. Not bad, but does need work - I insist, as someone I know was willing to use them as they are!

So seat removal, a dart of TIG and new brass will give these heads another life. It's a good upgrade for regular GT3s, a nice to have for trackers or Cup owners (these are now becoming expensive!)

I have new valves, if one is interested.

Last edited by IrocMan; 04-30-2017 at 03:27 AM. Reason: typo in title

Quick Reply: FS: Used 996 GT3 Cup heads