Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

FS: Refinished OEM Porsche Hood Crests

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 AM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Category: Accessories
Price (no $ sign please): $100
Private or Vendor Listing: Vendor Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 911, 912, 914, 924/931/944/951/968, 928, 964, 986, 987, 993, 996, 997, Cayman, Race Car
Location (Region): NorthEast
Item Condition: Used

Here's a sneak peek at what I've been working on lately:

I have been working on a type of "filled crest" but have rejected the idea of working with fired enamel. Since this is a "hobby business" for me I'm not at the point where I want to invest in the equipment required to work with that material. Secondly I utilize used crests with faded, cracked and chipped enamel for cores and have found that fired enamel......well....fades, cracks and chips.

For some time I have been looking for a material that replicates the look of fired enamel but is UV and weather resistant. I have experimented with a few but have narrowed the choice down to one particular type of resin that is used in marine applications. It is intended for use in, on and under the water so therefore is UV / weather / salt resistant.

I have posted a few pics of what I’m currently working on. These are “experimental “ pieces and not examples of what the finished product will look like. Here’s an experimental piece:

Once the resin was brought down to “fill” level and polished I media blasted the left hand side of the crest pictured below. I also experimented with how far I could take the material down before the metal on the crest showed through. You can see that it does show through in the “filled” areas. I plan on taking the prototypes to a metal plater to see what types of plating can be applied to the base metal on the crest. Since the cost of precious metals (gold, silver etc.) has hit the ceiling over the past few years this may prove to be cost prohibitive. Additionally I don’t yet know which plating material will hold up best to prolonged exposure to the elements. There are other options besides precious metals….rhodium, anodizing etc. I want to see how the polished and blasted finishes will come out once plated. That way I can offer both a high gloss and matte finish plated crest.

Additionally I drop tested the piece over 50 times from a height of six feet before a small piece cracked off to the right top side near the “E” in PORSCHE. I believe that exceeds what most pieces will endure in normal use barring a front end impact.

Here is another prototype polished. Again note that there are areas where the solid black fill is thin. I kept removing material on this one to see how far I could take it down before the backing metal begins to show through.

My goal here is to produce what would be considered a jewelery quality crest. Hopefully I'll have a better idea of the amount of time these will take to create these as work progresses. I'll also have a better idea about the final cost once I take the prototypes to a metal plater. The product I use to fill the crest is available in other colors so custom crests will be available.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Here's a GREAT pic of a matte black crest that currently rides the front end of Rennlist Member mzn50's 997:

Thanks for the pic Matt!

I'll be able to make additional crests as I'll be off of my "real" job for a few days this week. Please let me know if you're interested in one.

Best Regards: Jim
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Still time this weekend for me to make additional pieces if anyone is interested. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi there, I don't suppose your prices would include shipping costs to the UK would they? Hats off to you for doing something unusual with a stock Porsche item! Thanks. Brian.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
Hi there, I don't suppose your prices would include shipping costs to the UK would they? Hats off to you for doing something unusual with a stock Porsche item! Thanks. Brian.
+1
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Zuluracerx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to buy one please.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
Brian:
I will ship to the UK for no additional charge.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zuluracerx
I would like to buy one please.
Please send me a PM and let me know exactly what you would like from the price listing in the previous posts.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
watsonj0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this and had just paid on Sunday $175 on ebay for this item this is a great deal I wish I hadn't missed this. Great deal guys.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

I made a few of these over the past week. Stainless Cerakote highlights and satin / flat black lowlights. $150 shipped:

If you're interested in one of these or another color combination please let me know!

Last edited by intrepidagent; 05-26-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

I plan on refinishing a few this weekend. Please send me a PM if you would like one.

Regards: Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

I'll be taking orders to make a few more this weekend if there is interest. After that I'll be taking a month or so off from refinishing them as I have to devote some time to the "honey do" list. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by intrepidagent; 05-26-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

I addition to making refinished paint and Cerakote pieces I have continued to work on the "filled crests" as per my previous post. I recently finished what I would consider the final "prototype and the first "production" piece. Here's a few pics of how they are coming along:

Prototype 901 style crest on the left, Production 993 style on the right:

On the 901 style I still had to address the backing metal showing through the fill material. You can see the small copper colored "dots" on the piece:

This issue was remedied after some experimentation. The remedy was applied to the next piece which was a 993 style crest:

I didn't realize how labor intensive these were going to be......especially when I got to the final finishing stages. The final grade of sandpaper used on them was 3M 3000....yes, three thousand grit.

I'm going to finish a few more of these and then take them to a metal plater and see what options are available to plate the base metal and what cost it will add to the piece.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Here's a custom crest with "stainless" Cerakote highlights and Guards Red lowlights with satin clear over all. It's going to Canada and will be riding the front of Rennlister Coop's 993:

Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think this material would work on chrome exhaust tips? I'd love a matte silver finish rather than chrome. But wonder if it will handle all the heat cycling?

Quick Reply: FS: Refinished OEM Porsche Hood Crests