Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Macan to buy?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce View Post
3.6L Turbo. Remember, they're downsizing all their engines right now. I believe in time you will see some monster tuning results on the 3.6L that you will never get out of the smaller engines.
Displacement isnít as critical that much anymore in these days of forced induction, variable cam lift/valve timing, etc. For example have you seen what Porsche and Audi is doing with the new 2.9L?! You can make plenty of power with just about anything.

Also look at the previous 4.8L V8 twin turbo compared to the new 4.0L version. Technology marches on.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 PM
///Bruce
User

You know the saying. No replacement... Now keep in mind. I get it. I'm a child of the 40's. Yes, I'm old. My dad owned/operated a state inspection station in South Philly. I was put to work when I was 13. I escaped when I was 20 and enlisted in the USAF in 1969.

But, what that means, I had the joy of working (and driving) all of those muscle cars from the 50's up through 1969. Detroits heyday. Going 0 to 60 in 7 seconds was FAST back then. Now we're looking at 1.6, 1.8 seconds to 60. Time does march on.

But right now, you sing the song of "vaporware". Until something comes along that's better than my 3.6L TT, no one has room to talk about what will be under the porsche banner. For now....
Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce View Post
You know the saying. No replacement... Now keep in mind. I get it. I'm a child of the 40's. Yes, I'm old. My dad owned/operated a state inspection station in South Philly. I was put to work when I was 13. I escaped when I was 20 and enlisted in the USAF in 1969.

But, what that means, I had the joy of working (and driving) all of those muscle cars from the 50's up through 1969. Detroits heyday. Going 0 to 60 in 7 seconds was FAST back then. Now we're looking at 1.6, 1.8 seconds to 60. Time does march on.

But right now, you sing the song of "vaporware". Until something comes along that's better than my 3.6L TT, no one has room to talk about what will be under the porsche banner. For now....
Youíre preaching to the choir......440 Magnum Coronet R/T, SD-455 TAs (Ď73 & Ď74), 70 Cuda 440 6-pack, Z28s, etc....yeah, Iíve owned a bunch. Musclecar guy through and through. So I get the whole displacement thing. But nowadays, doesnít hold as true as it once did. Sure ALL things being equal, a larger displacement will take it. But in reality it just doesnít play out that way anymore.

As for your current 3.6L, sure, nice motor, but itís already been surpassed by current Porsche powertrain offerings. For example the new gen Macan Turbo is coming with the 440hp 2.9L thatís already available in the Panamera. Thatís just the nature of the beast. Technology and performance continue to improve and surpass their predecessors. As you pointed out yourself, 0-60 in 7 seconds from a factory performance offering used to be considered fast....things improved.

Okay, time to let this thread get back on track.

So OP, what are you leaning toward at this point?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:43 AM
///Bruce
User

To the OP, are you looking at a new 2018 S or a new 2019 S? I would think there's still a few '18 S's out there. The current body has been in production since, what, late 2014? Tried and true, especially the '17 and '18 models. The '19's will have both a new body design as well as a new engine. Lots of changes coming all at once. Let us know what your plans are.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM
rasetsu
User

A 2018 base Sport Edition is no slouch and plenty out there for deals to be had. I have a GTS and have no regrets but if my budget permitted me to only go up to a low optioned S, I'd take a base Sport Edition instead. Let me emphasize again that it would have to be the SPORT EDITION. The 2.0T is not lacking in power except top end speed/acceleration but it does lack in sound. The Sport Edition has got all the suspension set up from a GTS (PASM, air suspension, 20" wheels and tire) and with the driving I do, handling is much more appreciated than speed so if I had to choose one or the other, it would be handling. If you happen to find a S spec'd with the handling options, then sure but those are few and far between. The V6 definitely sounds better but few S were spec'd with the sport exhaust so prepare to spend some more on rectifying that too.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 PM
PJ Cayenne
User

^ +1. Great suspension on the SE. Most come nicely equipped.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:35 AM
porscherenn
User

Originally Posted by rasetsu View Post
A 2018 base Sport Edition is no slouch and plenty out there for deals to be had. I have a GTS and have no regrets but if my budget permitted me to only go up to a low optioned S, I'd take a base Sport Edition instead. Let me emphasize again that it would have to be the SPORT EDITION. The 2.0T is not lacking in power except top end speed/acceleration but it does lack in sound. The Sport Edition has got all the suspension set up from a GTS (PASM, air suspension, 20" wheels and tire) and with the driving I do, handling is much more appreciated than speed so if I had to choose one or the other, it would be handling. If you happen to find a S spec'd with the handling options, then sure but those are few and far between. The V6 definitely sounds better but few S were spec'd with the sport exhaust so prepare to spend some more on rectifying that too.
I compensated lack of power of 2.0T Engine with ECU tuneup ! In theory, makes about 320hp... Again, I chose Sport Edition due to so many options that I was able to get bundled together. Sound is ok... meh...... This is the probably one critical downside of getting 2.0 versions. I would say SE Macan is like Boxster of Macan lol.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM
CarGuyNVA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscherenn View Post
Sound is ok... meh...... This is the probably one critical downside of getting 2.0 versions.
Interesting. This is the same strong criticism coming from the Boxster/Cayman crowd when the 718s went to 4 cylinder turbo engines (2.0 and 2.5L).
Old 05-26-2019, 03:01 PM
Bxstr
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a couple base Macan's as loaners and as far as a commuter it was great. If I was buying one though, I would want the GTS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: