Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

► APEX | 18” Porsche Wheel Pre-Order Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 04:00 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Category: Wheels & Tires
Price (no $ sign please): $1
Private or Vendor Listing: Vendor Listing
Location (Region): NorCal
Item Condition: Brand New

^that makes sense, thank you.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 618 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
^that makes sense, thank you.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions; I'm happy to help.

For other enthusiasts that haven't done so already - configure your set, select your preferences, and join the gang! With a little over one month remaining, take advantage of the largest discounts that we'll ever offer.

Once you’ve shown your interest, you must come back and “pledge” your interest to secure your desired set(s) on the Group Buy page. Submitting interest without pledging doesn’t reserve you any product - it just lets you stay in touch with the deal; similar to watching an eBay auction. With the ability to choose your discount tier, there is no risk to pledging and no reward from waiting. We’re allocating sets and shipping them in the order pledges are received, so pledging early is recommended.

Our latest APEX blog post sheds some light on the SM-10's knurled bead. Check it out HERE!

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides

Old 05-19-2018, 02:39 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Please let me know if you have any additional questions; I'm happy to help.

For other enthusiasts that haven't done so already - configure your set, select your preferences, and join the gang! With a little over one month remaining, take advantage of the largest discounts that we'll ever offer.

Once you’ve shown your interest, you must come back and “pledge” your interest to secure your desired set(s) on the Group Buy page. Submitting interest without pledging doesn’t reserve you any product - it just lets you stay in touch with the deal; similar to watching an eBay auction. With the ability to choose your discount tier, there is no risk to pledging and no reward from waiting. We’re allocating sets and shipping them in the order pledges are received, so pledging early is recommended.

Our latest APEX blog post sheds some light on the SM-10's knurled bead. Check it out HERE!
Thanks. I do have one more question, which we might as well address here since I'm sure others are interested too: when the fit guide says 18x9 in front for 981 will require other modification, what would that entail? I have the front fender liners slightly worn from excessive caster anyway (9.5 or 10), so I'm not worried about stuff like that, but I don't want to have to roll the fender themselves or anything. I'm torn between the more aggressive version of 18x8.5 or going with 9's.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks. I do have one more question, which we might as well address here since I'm sure others are interested too: when the fit guide says 18x9 in front for 981 will require other modification, what would that entail? I have the front fender liners slightly worn from excessive caster anyway (9.5 or 10), so I'm not worried about stuff like that, but I don't want to have to roll the fender themselves or anything. I'm torn between the more aggressive version of 18x8.5 or going with 9's.
Thanks for asking! For others who don't have the page in front of them, please view the 981 fitment guide HERE, and the list of chassis-specific fitment guides HERE.

Pending ride height and tire size, you do not need to roll your fenders to fit the 18x9" ET46 up front. Often times it's best to pick the tire size and compound you want to use, then work backwards to find the optimal wheel to properly support said tire. How much negative camber are you running? What tire size(s) are you looking to run?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for asking! For others who don't have the page in front of them, please view the 981 fitment guide HERE, and the list of chassis-specific fitment guides HERE.

Pending ride height and tire size, you do not need to roll your fenders to fit the 18x9" ET46 up front. Often times it's best to pick the tire size and compound you want to use, then work backwards to find the optimal wheel to properly support said tire. How much negative camber are you running? What tire size(s) are you looking to run?
Thanks! -2.5 up front for now, which will increase some if anything. I'd like to run 245 or 255, but would like the additional width from the wider rim (IME 18x10 on 275 is better than 18x9.5 with the same tire, although I don't know the data behind it). Stock ride height for now, but may lower a little eventually, 1" to 1.5".
Old 05-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks! -2.5 up front for now, which will increase some if anything. I'd like to run 245 or 255, but would like the additional width from the wider rim (IME 18x10 on 275 is better than 18x9.5 with the same tire, although I don't know the data behind it). Stock ride height for now, but may lower a little eventually, 1" to 1.5".
Excellent, thank you! You're right, a tire is faster if mounted to wheel on the wider side of the tire's allowed wheel width range. For example, a 255mm tire is better suited for a 9" wheel rather than an 8.5". This provides superior sidewall support, better steering feel, lessened sidewall distortion/rollover, and a usable more communicative contact patch.

Regarding your initial question, a fender roll is unnecessary for your application. You're running enough camber to properly fit the 9" wheel and 245/255mm tire anywhere in the compression range.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Excellent, thank you! You're right, a tire is faster if mounted to wheel on the wider side of the tire's allowed wheel width range. For example, a 255mm tire is better suited for a 9" wheel rather than an 8.5". This provides superior sidewall support, better steering feel, lessened sidewall distortion/rollover, and a usable more communicative contact patch.

Regarding your initial question, a fender roll is unnecessary for your application. You're running enough camber to properly fit the 9" wheel and 245/255mm tire anywhere in the compression range.
Awesome, order preferences changed in the GB. Thanks much.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome, order preferences changed in the GB. Thanks much.
You're welcome. To follow up on your previous inquiry, here are the Porsche SM-10 production samples in all finishes. I'm sorry if this further complicates your decision!

Anthracite -

Race Silver -

Satin Black -
Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Will there be other widths down the road? I chose 8.5 + 10”, but I’d prefer 8 + 9.5”.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM
aaronelopas
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric I talked to you yesterday on 987 Boxster S fitment - thks for the knowledge / expertise - cool program - only issue is I have been searching for a lip wheel - wish you guys were doing FL5s.....I may still go for these though
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08 AM
ahetzel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please make the next go around either FL5 or EC7 in 19's please
Old 06-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Eric/Apex,
I am interested in the following:
2-18x11 ET36
2-18x11 ET60
In Satin Black for a race car
Max
225 573-0664
maxenergy@***.net
Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GoKart
Will there be other widths down the road? I chose 8.5 + 10”, but I’d prefer 8 + 9.5”.
Thank you for inquiring. There are indeed plans for other 18" widths and offsets, but not in the near future. We do not see a benefit to downsizing wheel width by .5" on any chassis, so I cannot confidently say that those plans include an 8" front wheel. The 8.5" can properly support a 225mm tire, and often times it is best to solidify your desired tire size and work backwards to select a wheel that best supports said tire.

With enough communal support, any size is possible. I'll surely update as this development progresses.

Originally Posted by aaronelopas
Eric I talked to you yesterday on 987 Boxster S fitment - thks for the knowledge / expertise - cool program - only issue is I have been searching for a lip wheel - wish you guys were doing FL5s.....I may still go for these though
Thanks for the kind words, Aaron. It was great speaking with you. Please reach out if you need any further assistance.

Originally Posted by ahetzel
Please make the next go around either FL5 or EC7 in 19's please
We habitually incorporate enthusiast feedback into product development, so both the EC-7 and FL-5 are a possibility in 19". However, the SM-10 design was the resounding favorite based on the survey that we published and ran for a few months. We're willing to adopt another design if it is met with ample community-wide support. Prior to our 19" Group Buy launch and/or production, we will certainly gauge the community to see where their interest lies.

What chassis would you like to mount EC-7 or FL-5 onto? Here's a shot of SM-10 mounted onto a 996TT:

Originally Posted by Max Energy
Eric/Apex,
I am interested in the following:
2-18x11 ET36
2-18x11 ET60
In Satin Black for a race car
Max
225 573-0664
maxenergy@***.net
Thank you for your interest, Max! To participate in our pre-order Group Buy, you can configure your set and pre-order on our Group Buy page HERE. If you have any questions or need assistance placing your order, please feel free to reach out directly. I'll give you a shout to follow up.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sub'd. Waiting for 19"s.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 AM
zachxlutz
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have any more details on the fitment of these particular wheels/tires to the 996tt chassis? Is this car lowered? If so, how much? How much camber is it running? Did the fenders have to be rolled?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: ► APEX | 18” Porsche Wheel Pre-Order Group Buy