Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

2003 Boxster S street/track

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:19 PM
mbasham
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2003 Boxster S street/track

Year: 2003
Make: Porsche
Model: Boxster
Cont. Porsche Models: Boxster S
Mileage (numbers only please): 67500
Color: Seal Gray
VIN: WP0CB29853U661760
Price (no $ sign please): $13600
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): South
Body Style: Cabriolet
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

2003 Porsche Boxster S
~67k miles
$13.6k OBO
Located in Memphis, TN

Modifications

PSS9
Carbon Fiber GT3 replica fixed back seats
Fabspeed catted headers
Borla cat-back
18" OZ Alleggerita (245/40, 275/40)
Driver side Deist 5pt harness
Mantis 2L Deep sump (Installed 8/9/2017)
Front/Rear GT3 Brake Ducts
H&R rear sway bar
Momo Monte Carlo Steering wheel/adapter
ACS track studs
Brey-Krause Roll bar extension

Maintenance

New Battery - 6/25/2018
AOS - 8/9/2017
Right rear CV joint boot - 9/28/2017
Spark plugs - 9/28/2017
Oil service 66,454 - Mobil 1 0W40

I purchased the car a little over a year ago. I only did one track event at Barber Motorsports last year.

The previous owner said the motor was replaced around ~45,000 miles (*** update. Per previous owner after contacting). He had no documentation on the motor replacement besides saying it was a "new motor." I would not assume the IMS bearing has been replaced. I did immediately send off an oil sample to Blackstone that is pictured in this thread with their results. (*** update. Previous owner said “IMS was fixed.” No docs. Classic Larry. 🤦🏻*♂️)

It needs tires now. They aren't corded, but the NT01's are near bald.

The back of the convertible top needs to be resealed. You can see it a little in the pictures that it doesn't quite connect tightly at the very back. My mechanic said this should cost ~$150-200 tops from an upholstery shop.

The front bumper has a small hole from road debris that's about the size of a penny.

I'm a full disclosure seller. These are all of the issues that I am aware of. The car runs, drives, and sounds great. The only reason I am selling is because I simply need the money.

Please DM for any serious inquiries or offers. I am a motivated seller.

-Matt Basham

Last edited by mbasham; 10-21-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Forgot to add location
Old 09-28-2018, 12:14 AM
LeadFootStyle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listed as south region... where is the car located? can you confirm title status and any accident history?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2018, 12:24 AM
mbasham
Intermediate

Clean title. I’m unaware if the car has had any previous damage. All the seams look right. If it’s been resprayed anywhere I sure can’t tell, and I’ve waxed it a few times.

Car is located in Memphis, TN. Thank you for that question. I’ve edited the ad to reflect that.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:27 PM
boxhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have PSM?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:39 PM
mbasham
Intermediate

The car does have PSM, and it’s definitely saved my *** a couple of times 😉.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:28 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 126 Posts

This is damn near the exact type of 986/987 Id want. Prefer a Cayman, but with the roll bar and living in LA this Boxster is not bad at all...

Im daydreaming about flying to TN and driving this back!... yikes haha

Can you translate the Blackstone Labs to those of us (read: me) who have no idea what were looking at!?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:17 AM
mbasham
Intermediate

I can speak with some experience here after picking this car up last year in Baltimore —> Memphis. Driving a considerable distance in fixed back seats is not exactly comfortable. Every time we stopped to get gas my friend and I looked like we were warming up for a 10k. I’m happy to discuss picking the car up in Memphis or shipping in DM. Some people may be perfectly content driving this car for 10 hours straight.

Regarding the Blackstone Oil Analysis.

Have you ever gotten a STD test just for your peace of mind? It shows levels and stats that are basically gibberish to the layperson, so you skim until you get to the doctors note that says “you don’t have herpes.” That’s how I treat a Blackstone Oil Analysis.

I basically sent it off to get a clean bill of health for the car. I was particularly looking for anything that would show IMS bearing issues. According to them it looks fine.

If you want to learn more about oil analysis, the people over at https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ have some writeups that better explain what those levels actually mean.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mbasham
I can speak with some experience here after picking this car up last year in Baltimore —> Memphis. Driving a considerable distance in fixed back seats is not exactly comfortable. Every time we stopped to get gas my friend and I looked like we were warming up for a 10k. I’m happy to discuss picking the car up in Memphis or shipping in DM. Some people may be perfectly content driving this car for 10 hours straight.

Regarding the Blackstone Oil Analysis.

Have you ever gotten a STD test just for your peace of mind? It shows levels and stats that are basically gibberish to the layperson, so you skim until you get to the doctors note that says “you don’t have herpes.” That’s how I treat a Blackstone Oil Analysis.

I basically sent it off to get a clean bill of health for the car. I was particularly looking for anything that would show IMS bearing issues. According to them it looks fine.

If you want to learn more about oil analysis, the people over at https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ have some writeups that better explain what those levels actually mean.
I don't usually random post in someone's ad unless I'm actively participating in a potential purchase....but holy crap, if I had been drinking anything when I read that line above it would have been all over my computer.
That's gold Jerry, gold!

*as a side note, this car does look just like something I would seriously consider for a purchase (not helped by the fact that we just returned from Rennsport)….

Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM
mbasham
Intermediate

Thanks, Bania. I was actually proud enough of that joke/comparison that I fired it off to some gearhead friends as well.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:43 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 433 Posts

I can vouch for the car and seller. The seller less so, since he's one of my oldest friends, generally odious, and lacking in substance, but the car . . .

I brokered the sale with the prior owner and flew to MD with the seller to drive the car back to Memphis. The prior owner was - generously - absent-minded. Let's just say that by the end of the negotiation and sales process, our running punchline about everything related to the car was: "F*cking Larry . . ."

Larry, god love him, just didn't know much about what he had. Couldn't really explain why the motor had been replaced (though I could), and had no idea about any of the track goodies on the car. He was a very . . . passive owner. When I got it on a lift on the way home to have the wheels balanced, I inspected it carefully and found the sways, sump, Fabspeed headers, exhaust, etc. Because of course, f*cking Larry . . . I'm also 98% certain this car has an ECU tune, because it is far quicker than that 3.2 should be stock. Larry's mechanic in Baltimore was, fortunately, a good bit more knowledgable about the car, and had regularly maintained it. We had a PPI done at his shop (SSI, which has a respectable race prep and track support reputation). Everything checked out.

Drove the car from Baltimore to Memphis without incident. Pulls strong throughout, and drives as you'd expect it to; like a well-sorted Boxster. I'm responsible for the detail work on the car and the OZs.

This is a great dual-duty driver with torture devices for seats. New owner will be happy and hopefully very narrow.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:51 PM
mbasham
Intermediate

It’s definitely quicker than the 2.7... because it has a 3.2 like every other 986 Boxster S. 😘
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by mbasham
It’s definitely quicker than the 2.7... because it has a 3.2 like every other 986 Boxster S. 😘
WHERE'S THE EDIT BUTTON????
Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This looks like a great track-car alternative to an E36, Miata, S2k

I would have definitely checked it out if you were closer.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 AM
mbasham
Intermediate

$12.9k bump. I love this car, but I need it gone.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 PM
mbasham
Intermediate

$12.3k OBO

Probably listing on BaT next week, even though I really hate BaT “tire kicking” commenters. I’d much rather sell to a RL member.

Quick Reply: 2003 Boxster S street/track