Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Keeps blowing DME fuse

Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM
newkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
So someone removed them? They were standard on 1989's and if so, they had to jumper out The harness behind the glovebox. If its not soldered and shrink-wrapped and they just jumped the pins then there is an intermittent connection there possibly.
This has always bothered me. Why are there no airbags. Car is registered as 1989. The receipt from the factory says 1989. It also has the wrong steering wheel for airbag.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

"Porsche introduced its driver and passenger airbag passive restraint system on the U.S. 1987 944 Turbo, making it the first vehicle with driver and front passenger airbags fitted as standard equipment. This system, standard on all 944 Turbos destined for the U.S., was also available here as an option on 1987 944s and 944Ss. By the 1990 model year, dual airbags were standard on all Porsches, as they have been on every production Porsche since." https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...airbag-systems

Since you're in Sweden, might be that your car didn't come standard with airbags
Old 06-25-2019, 01:56 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I Guess The way to tell is look Behind the Glovebox under the cowl portion, (almost directly under the battery) inside the car and see if that Orange Box is still there. Of course, above the Glovebox It should say "Airbag" on the dash and have that cutout thing-a-ma-bob...

The reason Im am interested in this, is that with "Airbag" cars in the event of deployment it will Cut power to the Fuel Pump. So If there is something going on with that orange controller box or someone took the bag out and did not jumper the pins properly with solder and shrink wrap the car will not run with that circuit open. I have taken Two Airbag controller units out for racecars and had to jump those pins every time..
Old 07-02-2019, 03:41 PM
newkie
Instructor

so

Dme relay swapped out
Dme computer swapped out
There is power to the coil
Coil messured and i also tried a known working one

Still no spark. I did how ever spot a potential problem the other day. The turbo pressure guage does not react at all. It has always worked before.

so read up and it (like tach bounce) is an indicator that the DME computor is not getting power.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Weird that it was running then died like that. I guess I would check the grounds... kinda start from scratch
Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you getting a spark out of the coil? Or you just checked it has +12V power?

If not getting spark out of the coil, unplug KLR and short pin #9 and #16 on the connector. If you do get spark, the the KLR or KLR chip are the suspects.
If you do not get spark when bypassing the KLR, then your DME may be the issue.

Of course the speed/Ref signals must be working, and you must hVe power at both DME & KLR.

Your car may not start as you may have flooded the engine. Check your plugs if you get spark but no start.

Originally Posted by newkie
so

Dme relay swapped out
Dme computer swapped out
There is power to the coil
Coil messured and i also tried a known working one

Still no spark. I did how ever spot a potential problem the other day. The turbo pressure guage does not react at all. It has always worked before.

so read up and it (like tach bounce) is an indicator that the DME computor is not getting power.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:07 AM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast951

If not getting spark out of the coil, unplug KLR and short pin #9 and #16 on the connector. If you do get spark, the the KLR or KLR chip are the suspects.

Of course the speed/Ref signals must be working, and you must hVe power at both DME & KLR.

Your car may not start as you may have flooded the engine. Check your plugs if you get spark but no start.
Hi again, sorry for the delay.
No i am not getting a spark while cranking the car. Used an in line tester and no cigar.

I will try to jump the KLR.

What pins on DME/KLR provide power? I thought i'd have a look if there's even power there.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is your tach bouncing while trying to start?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:31 AM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Is your tach bouncing while trying to start?
Yes
Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 AM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast951

Shorted 9 to 16 and i get spark again. Wont start up but it does ignite. With an incredible smell of ethanol. Almost coughingly incredible. I did crank the engine a lot last time and it has been sitting idle since. I guess there could be alot of ethanol in the cylinder. I took out the sparkplugs and hope i vents out in a couple of days.

So. What would be the next item on the to do list?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:03 AM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by newkie
Shorted 9 to 16 and i get spark again. Wont start up but it does ignite. With an incredible smell of ethanol. Almost coughingly incredible. I did crank the engine a lot last time and it has been sitting idle since. I guess there could be alot of ethanol in the cylinder. I took out the sparkplugs and hope i vents out in a couple of days.

So. What would be the next item on the to do list?
So bought a KLR-unit in great condition for about 200 bucks. Pluged it in and now my boost guage reacts again. Sadly i hade forgotten the battery hooked up and have a low charge so i did not try to start it yet.

Will Test in a couple of hours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeps blowing DME fuse